PDA

View Full Version : laser transfer paper

TonyM
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all,
Firstly apologies as I am sure the answer I seek is on here somewhere. I just cant find it?
I have recently purchased a new laser printer.
I want to try transfering to a cheaper t-shirts other than white sublimation shirts.
I get a lot off requests for black in particular.
I have lost 3 order in the last couple of weeks for stag and hen parties. Basically because they want just a cheap throw away transfer shirt and I just cannot compete with some of the prices being given using sublimation shirts and inks.
Also transfering to mugs. What paper do I need for that and do i still need sublimation mugs? I can get 6 white mugs for a pound, whereas sub mugs arearound a pound each. I have explained the quality difference but some people just want a disposable cheap and cheerful t-shirt and mug that will probably be lucky is it lasts the weekend.
I think there is a market for the quality of sublimation, particularly for family and treasured memories. But there is also a need for cheap and disposable items also.
Any advice on transfer paper I could use with my laser printer/I also have an inkjet if that helps? most appreciated.
Tony

NASH
02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
i use this paper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-On-T-Shirt-Transfer-Paper-Dark-Fabrics-x-50-A4-/300468023524?pt=UK_Computing_Printer_Paper_Accesso ries_ET&hash=item45f54a30e4

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
remember that the paper nash is showing is inkjet not laser

AdamB
02-08-2011, 10:00 AM
i use this paper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iron-On-T-Shirt-Transfer-Paper-Dark-Fabrics-x-50-A4-/300468023524?pt=UK_Computing_Printer_Paper_Accesso ries_ET&hash=item45f54a30e4

What's the quality like Nash for washing? Or is it mainly used for stag/hen/event gamrents (i.e worn a great deal).

NASH
02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
this transfer is mainly for stags/hens/charity runs, but i`ve washed a sample t shirt a few times and it`s been okay, but i do explain to customers that this is a transfer and it will eventually start cracking or they can choose the sublimation shirts which are better quality. That way they can`t come back in a week or two saying it`s either come off or cracked. But they must obey the washing instructions that i give them, as i`ve done my tests on this transfer

John G
02-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Just remember TonyM - to do sublimation t shirts and mugs you need to use sublimation ink, not a laser printer. The items for sub work would need to be white (or pastal colours) 100% polyester, or a high count, or as in mugs, coated with a sublimation coating. You get what you pay for - need something to last its not going to cost peanuts. Why not get a plotter and offer text on shirts using flex (Vinyl) that way you can do any type of shirt, black or white - text only no photo's.

Cheers John

TonyM
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi again
As I said I have just purchased a laser printer and that is the printer that I would like to use for transfers. I just need some recommends on good laser transfer paper that I could use. IE, print onto the paper with the laser and heat press onto the shirts.
John G:
I have cracked the sublimation side of it now and manage to sell a little. Not enough though. I keep getting asked for cheaper more disposable items. I have thought of a plotter but really want to do graphics also.
Thanks for the replies thus far

Tony

John G
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Try the magic touch range of transfers - not the cheapest, but they do work.

NASH
02-08-2011, 12:47 PM
you say you have an inkjet printer aswell, why not put it through there?

i`ve never used this but it`s worth a try

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-1-Opaque-Laser-Heat-Transfer-Paper-SAMPLE-/220818822752?pt=UK_Computing_Printer_Paper_Accesso ries_ET&hash=item3369d3d660

TonyM
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Hi Nash
No reason, it is just that I have just had this new laser printer and i was hoping to use it a bit more. Plus the quality it prints at is really good and i was hoping that would help.

NASH
02-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Okay i see your point, but some one in the field told that you`ll get better results and longevity if you use Epson Durabite inks, maybe someone can clarify this

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
i use durabite inks in my copier for dark jet paper, i get good results which wash well, but i am not in the really cheap stag night t's so cant really comment

TonyM
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
It seems a bit difficult to get a straight answer?
Not being funny , but is there some snobbery involved? LOL
I too like produce a quality long lasting product
BUT
occasionally people want tat.
They want cheap and cheerful
I have purchased a quality laser printer (mainly for photographic reasons, and I must say they stand off the paper and look fantastic) but was thinking I may as well use it for transfers on the lower quality i keep getting requested . That makes sense, does it not?
I can print thousands on the huge toners it uses and I may as well print the transfers too.
I will continue to do the quality sublimation garments and cups etc.
I was just seeking advice as to a decent transfer paper that uses a toner and gives a decent result on fabrics and ceramic.
Cheers

TonyM

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
sorry i was replying to nash, who seems to be on about inkjet printers, no snobbery involved, just cant see the point in working for nothing, and i would hate to think of a customer saying to a mate, i want some t shirts done was thinking of trying lauras and them saying "dont bother mate we had some done for that stag weekend and they were shite it faded after a few washes" for no matter how much you tell people they are for "limited wear" or however you could word it - i know thats sods law would work that way with me

i did press some laser paper onto mugs - these were just the £1 for 4 asda ones, and it worked, of course it will scratch off, but the image will go on the mug. i seem to remember there was a post many many moons ago about having a go at printing onto non sub mugs which was why i had a go, 2 of them are still in my husbands workshop and the wording is still on them (mind you workshop mugs are not cleaned that often are they)

purpledragon
02-08-2011, 11:09 PM
for cheap stag shirts you're best sticking with cheap inkjet transfers or flex , i havnt really seen cheap laser transfers but the majic touch ones are pretty good but bloody expensive

bms
03-08-2011, 07:43 AM
They aren't that expensive - around £45 + vat for 100 sheets of A4.CPM will transfer to hard surfaces and TTC will give results on light colour garments. TTC costing 54p for an A4 sheet plus toner plus T-Shirt is cheap(ish) isn't it?

purpledragon
03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
I suppose so Martin, i was basing it on wow papaer i suppose which works out around 3 quid a print

John G
03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
It seems a bit difficult to get a straight answer?

I gave you a straight answer on my last reply. "Try the magic touch range of papers". Can't see what's not straight about that.

Cheaper papers (ebay) and they'll do the job on a t' shirt but basically they are crap and will either fall off or crack after 1st wash. Laser onto mugs can be done, but thats crap too! it'll scratch off. Offer crap and there won't be any repeat custom.

TGal
14-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I use the following papers with good results....

For lights - Techni-Print 4.0
For darks - Laser 1 Opaque

If you're looking for self-weeding papers then the Image Clip range is worth looking at.

All of the above are Neenah papers (the US manufacturer) and are available from yolo in UK.

mgibbs
28-05-2012, 02:19 PM
I use the following papers with good results....

For lights - Techni-Print 4.0
For darks - Laser 1 Opaque

If you're looking for self-weeding papers then the Image Clip range is worth looking at.

All of the above are Neenah papers (the US manufacturer) and are available from yolo in UK.

I've just tried my first laser transfer onto a cotton t-shirt.
I used CLC Evolution paper and while the result looked good the transfer cracked when I stretched the t-shirt sideways.

Is this common or would the above paper, for example, be more flexible?

Any other paper recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mark

Bison 28
28-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Why does everyone want to use the cheapest available, and then moan when they end up with a crock of sh**.
Weather it's a shirt,mug,press or paper, you only get what you pay for, so don't waste your time and money.

mgibbs
29-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Why does everyone want to use the cheapest available, and then moan when they end up with a crock of sh**.
Weather it's a shirt,mug,press or paper, you only get what you pay for, so don't waste your time and money.

Sorry but where did I say I wanted the cheapest?

Mark

logobear
29-05-2012, 11:39 PM
For laser onto lights look at forever or ttc, for laser darks we only use obm from the magic touch.
In December this year I will have been using laser transfer products from the magic touch for 20 years
Not the cheapest, but not the most firstly either.

mgibbs
30-05-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks

I'd been looking at OBM. I'll buy some to try

Mark

Earl Smith
30-05-2012, 08:33 AM
If you can find this product over there is worth using. http://www.forever-ots.com/
Navigate to Desktop printers and then laser printer.

Bison 28
30-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Novachrome used to do it, still got a box of dark and light here, £50 the lot if anyone wants it.