PDA

View Full Version : Costs

harlequeen
05-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi

I'm trying to work out how much, on average, a mug costs to make. I realise that due to different ink coverage it is quite difficult to work out, but I have no idea how many mugs I would expect to do out of the package I bought recently. It is the ink I'm mainly thinking about.

Does anyone have advice for me regarding this please. I intend to print some mugs for friends and local darts leagues (as I'm on the committee) but want to cover my costs.

thanks

Harlequeen

jennywren
05-08-2011, 06:46 PM
About 1.65 this includes paper ink and electric and a mug, but does not cover your time, repairs, and lets not for get the tax man, so the price you set will have to include this. This is up to the individual, this cost is based on overall cost of various inks and paper and mug give or take a few pence.

bms
05-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Have a look at this link for the ink cost per image with the Ricoh GXe3300...http://www.printerowners.co.uk/docs/GXe3300NCost.pdf

Lee
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
I always reckoned on about £2.50 - £3.00 + your time and profit....

£1.40 - Mug (standard pack from bms)
30-80p for a postage box depending on what type
30p ink
10p paper
Then you have stuff like heat tape, fragile tape etc

As a guide based on small quantities I buy, I use £3.00 - should things rocket and I can buy in bulk-bulk, then these costs would go down....or I have to buy smarter, for example, I'll probably buy the brown postage boxes now instead of polys because they are cheaper...

* my costs include delivery charges from BMS also...

phoenixalpha
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
dont forget if you are going to post them the cost is £2.48 for first class and £2.16 for second class.

Lee
05-08-2011, 09:36 PM
or more if you used recorded/signed for...

phoenixalpha
05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Yep, a *lot* more.

Lee
05-08-2011, 11:34 PM
dont forget if you are going to post them the cost is £2.48 for first class and £2.16 for second class.

£3.25 for first class and £2.93 for second class (recorded) - worth the extra pennies though?

phoenixalpha
06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
depends on if you trust your customers. You'd be paying an extra 80p each time.
If it's a few mugs together, yes I always go with recorded/signed for.

Lee
06-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I dont think our profit is enough to stand the additional cost, I would just pass it on to the customer really..

JSR
07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
We tend to only do recorded post as a minimum. You've got to cover yourself for the small minority of people who'll say it hasn't arrived.

That said, if a regular customer specifically asks us to post "not" recorded then we would do so (we'd refund the 77p) - but only until such time as an order doesn't arrive, then it'd be back to recorded as a bare minimum.

Sometimes you can save more money just by using the right packing boxes. Poly boxes, for example, weigh a lot less than the smashproof cardboard boxes. If you're sending more than one mug, or you're sending a lighter mug (like china), then it'll serve you better to use polystyrene boxes.

Kaz
11-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Personally, I don't see the point in recorded delivery on a mug for 2 reasons.

1 You can claim upto £42ish with a proof of postage from the post office
2 Ceramics aren't covered against breakages with recorded delivery.

I post all mine first class and haven't had any go missing, or break for that matter, and £2.48 or £2.50, which I charge for P&P (mug box etc all in mug price) makes it look better if selling on ebay for example.

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Personally, I don't see the point in recorded delivery on a mug for 2 reasons.

1 You can claim upto £42ish with a proof of postage from the post office
2 Ceramics aren't covered against breakages with recorded delivery.

I post all mine first class and haven't had any go missing, or break for that matter, and £2.48 or £2.50, which I charge for P&P (mug box etc all in mug price) makes it look better if selling on ebay for example.

Agree with that plus recorded very rarely tracks anyway, its very hit and miss. If the customer claims non receipt personally I just resend and put a claim into the post office for lost first one.

theemmanewman
12-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I have been posting 1st class unrecorded also for about two years now and have only had one broken in transit - and that was one out of a package of three mugs somehow the other two were fine. So I have saved a fair amount over the last two years. I just use cardboard postage boxes with some bubble wrap. Seems to work.