PDA

View Full Version : domain names

gavgav
07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
hello im looking at buying a domian name and wandered what people thought of this domain name personalizedphotogifts.co.uk as thats all i can think of really thanks again

John G
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Its good but its long! I'd take the z out and pop the s back in. Personalised. :biggrin:

bms
07-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Its good but its long! I'd take the z out and pop the s back in. Personalised. :biggrin:Only problem there is that domain is taken and the seller wants £1500+ for it!!I think you should avoid the 'z' for a uk spelt domain name as well.

SciArtImages
07-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I would also try to avoid the z, but if you really want this web address could you change the s to a z on giftz and make something of the z?
Neil.

Justin
07-08-2011, 09:45 PM
keep it as short and as simple as possible, don't give anyone the opportunity to misspell and end up elsewhere!

purpledragon
07-08-2011, 11:58 PM
oh heck so you lot think that www.getyourpersonalisedgiftsfrommebecauseimthebest estever.co.uk (http://www.getyourpersonalisedgiftsfrommebecauseimthebest estever.co.uk) is too long then

Justin
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
.com would have made al the difference there! ;-)

Matt Quinn
08-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Purely personal opinion...

It's too long, too easily mis-spelled, and in any case you really want the .com too...

Professional opinion...

The .com version is TAKEN and active - Not sure how U.S. law works on 'passing off' - but I REALLy would not like to find out the hard way!

Matt Quinn
08-08-2011, 01:55 AM
oh heck so you lot think that www.getyourpersonalisedgiftsfrommebecauseimthebest estever.co.uk (http://www.getyourpersonalisedgiftsfrommebecauseimthebest estever.co.uk) is too long then

How about...

www. -

reallynicemugswithyourpictureonthemoranyoneelsespi ctureifyoulikeansalsoflipflopsandclocksandcanvassp icturesandwehavesomebagstooandmousematsdontforgett hemousmatswegotmousematswithtrainsandmousematswith dogandponiesonthemandifyouvisitourshopwehavethisre allycutebrunettewhoworksmostweekdays.com

purpledragon
08-08-2011, 09:31 AM
How about...

www. -

reallynicemugswithyourpictureonthemoranyoneelsespi ctureifyoulikeansalsoflipflopsandclocksandcanvassp icturesandwehavesomebagstooandmousematsdontforgett hemousmatswegotmousematswithtrainsandmousematswith dogandponiesonthemandifyouvisitourshopwehavethisre allycutebrunettewhoworksmostweekdays.com
now you're just being silly

Kaz
08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Thinking of a unique, catchy, easily spelt domain name is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do :(

Matt Quinn
08-08-2011, 11:42 AM
now you're just being silly

...Course I am :smile: The Brunette only works three days a week!

JSR
08-08-2011, 02:19 PM
How about...

www. -

I'm going to cyber-squat that one just in case one of you guys want it! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

AdamB
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Speaking of long domain names, has anyone found one longer than this - and it has to be a used domain!

http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdom ainnameatlonglast.com/

http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdom ainnameatlonglast.com

Kaz
08-08-2011, 03:08 PM
http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.com/

AdamB
08-08-2011, 03:12 PM

back at you Kaz: http://iamtheproudownerofthelongestlongestlongestdomainna meinthisworld.com/

63 characters is the longest possible domain name (I believe) so we'll call it a draw :)

JSR
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Speaking of long domain names, has anyone found one longer than this - and it has to be a used domain!

http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdom ainnameatlonglast.com
As it says on their website, the main bit of the domain name can't be any longer than 63 characters - which theirs is.

They have put together the longest manual URL, though:

http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdom ainnameatlonglast.com/wearejustdoingthistobestupidnowsincethiscangoonfor everandeverandeverbutitstilllookskindaneatinthebro wsereventhoughitsabigwasteoftimeandenergyandhasnor ealpointbutwehadtodoitanyways.html
http://www.thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdom ainnameatlonglast.com/wearejustdoingthistobestupidnowsincethiscangoonfor everandeverandeverbutitstilllookskindaneatinthebro wsereventhoughitsabigwasteoftimeandenergyandhasnor ealpointbutwehadtodoitanyways.html

A worse issue than how long the name is, is the domain with a double-meaning (otherwise known as a Slurl). Because websites are invariably written in lower case, it's often easy to read more than one meaning into the company name. Just beware that if you go searching for Slurls on the web, there are quite a number that are accidentally coarse.

Kaz
08-08-2011, 03:30 PM
I've seen some of those Slurls, some are quite funny, lol

purpledragon
10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
thats easy for you to say

gavgav
10-08-2011, 08:15 PM
lol i have now settled on a domain name thanks to John www.photo2gift.co.uk

John G
10-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Hope it gets some attention and some sales.

Cheers John

Mattie
10-08-2011, 09:12 PM
nice domain name, see your using opencart like me
see you've set your categories out the same as mine

AdamB
10-08-2011, 11:58 PM

I've been meaning to ask you Matthew ............ did you install the opencart software yourself on your server ?

gavgav
11-08-2011, 01:58 AM

i think opencart is a really good platform and they keep updating it, seem to be the best way to be the best way to set out categories ive played with them a lot of way before i settled on the layout im trying to keep it clean and uncluttered there nowt werse than a really cluttered home page it just looks unprofessional

John G
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Do you do the website design part in opencart or is it just for receiving payments.?

AdamB
11-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Do you do the website design part in opencart or is it just for receiving payments.?

Opencart is pretty good John - after installation it's just a case of changing the variables from the demo site that's installed (categories, items, descriptions, images) then adding prices, weights for postage (if required) then tweaking this and that.

You could have a store running overnight with no too much trouble but you can also add various themes to changes the look and feel, and also different modules that perform different tasks.

It's a great bit of kit and works just like a content management system (if you have used these), very similar to Joomla.

John G
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Never used one but the sites look a lot more professional than mine - I just used dreamweaver and self taught at that.

Can you still use paypal to accept payments and can you specify keywords etc for seo?

AdamB
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Never used one but the sites look a lot more professional than mine - I just used dreamweaver and self taught at that.

Can you still use paypal to accept payments and can you specify keywords etc for seo?

Yes John - the payment module comes as standard and you just input the data required for transactions - you can also 'sandbox' it to test orders (nothing is actually processed).

Visit the opencart site at: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=demonstration/demonstration where you can have a look at the demo site (front and back end) and have a play around with it to see the workings of it.

Ref SEO, each item etc you can add the meta tag info to pull these items up through search engines - it's a great bit of kit and the best thing is ITS FREE!

A lot easier that Dreamweaver (used this and frontpage to do sites in the past) as everything is online and can be edited from any PC, all you do is log into the admin panel.

AdamB
11-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Additionally, a post was mentioned before for 'easy site solutions' and if you don't want to go through the messing around of installation etc they will do this for you and install a shop on their server (you just point the domain name to it once complete).

I have spoken to the team and they offer a FREE 30 day trial to try and out. You get tremendous help from the team (in the UK) and also get access to their forum to ask questions etc. If you see a module or theme that you like, you tell them and they add it to your shop (GREAT STUFF REALLY).

The price is a very, very reasonable £7 a month!

Might be worth trying the trial John as there is no commitment and it gives you an idea of what you can do.

Adam

Mattie
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I've been meaning to ask you Matthew ............ did you install the opencart software yourself on your server ?

Yes i installed myself, i've done all the code changes i need to add or change something and all the graphics on the site. I swapped from prestashop a few weeks back and it's much better to use and has more features.

gavgav
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
im with easy site solution and i have to say so far the suport has been realy good i can complane tbh

AdamB
11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes i installed myself, i've done all the code changes i need to add or change something and all the graphics on the site. I swapped from prestashop a few weeks back and it's much better to use and has more features.

How did you find the installation? It looks pretty straight forward, but I only glanced at it the other day (download, set up database, upload, tweek).

Question though, I see you have the ability for a customer to upload an image for a mug or something (been looking at your set up). Is it set up so only images can be uploaded? I only ask as this could be a 'back door' for someone to upload a javascript file onto your server and then run it ................... I didn't want to test your upload set up in case something was flagged up your side (but I can if you wish?).

Adam

John G
11-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Had a look at the demo site - pretty impressive. I take it they host your domain so how easy would it be to transfer a domain over to them and how long would a site be down befroe being fully operational again.

Tried looking but cannot find this info.

gavgav
11-08-2011, 11:27 AM
that a point does any boy know any good logo designer and banner designers

Mattie
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
How did you find the installation? It looks pretty straight forward, but I only glanced at it the other day (download, set up database, upload, tweek).

Question though, I see you have the ability for a customer to upload an image for a mug or something (been looking at your set up). Is it set up so only images can be uploaded? I only ask as this could be a 'back door' for someone to upload a javascript file onto your server and then run it ................... I didn't want to test your upload set up in case something was flagged up your side (but I can if you wish?).

Adam

Installation can be quite easy, the file upload function is set in the back office where you can tell it the accepted file types so there no worries about anyone uploading dangerous files

Mattie
11-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Had a look at the demo site - pretty impressive. I take it they host your domain so how easy would it be to transfer a domain over to them and how long would a site be down befroe being fully operational again.

Tried looking but cannot find this info.

No you host your domain where ever you like, then just simply download opencart, unzip it then upload via FTP to your server, the website is displayed with a maintenace page while you carry out the work so your customers will no what's going on, you can also change the message that appears.

Mattie
11-08-2011, 11:39 AM
gavgav, did you download opencart or did your hosting company provide it, just i'm pretty sure they are running a out of date version of opencart.
if i was you before you go any further with site design etc find out if its up to date version if not install updated one.

John G
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I've got you now - I thought it was online hosting, you would have thought by now opencart would have a one stop solution, as in design, domain and email in one bundle.

Lee
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Im with opencart via easysitesolutions also - Im running version 1.5.1 also with upload facility..

I also recommend their service - superb ;-) In fact, I'll point her in this direction from a supplier point of view..

gavgav
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
gavgav, did you download opencart or did your hosting company provide it, just i'm pretty sure they are running a out of date version of opencart.
if i was you before you go any further with site design etc find out if its up to date version if not install updated one.

ITS v1.5.1 which is ok and they uploaded and dident have to up download it if there were any really big changes they would update for free for me

gavgav
11-08-2011, 12:32 PM
alligiftor did you customise the default template

draig
11-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Have been looking at the Opencart site, does anyone know if you use the MultiStore option you can direct the payments to a different PayPal account?

Sharon

Mattie
11-08-2011, 01:10 PM
alligiftor did you customise the default template

Yes i've done all the coding and design work myself.
If their running v1.5.1 then your ok thats the up to date version, just your template looks like an old theme template

gavgav
11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Yes i've done all the coding and design work myself.
If their running v1.5.1 then your ok thats the up to date version, just your template looks like an old theme template

thats because its not the default template its a red white and black template that ive had customized just be careful if you customized the default as when up date the cms software it over writes the default template

Mattie
11-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Its fine I know which parts to change n which one's not to n how to rewrite codes to make it work

Mattie
11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Forgot to say gavgav if you are using the royal mail postage option you'll notice the prices are all wrong, i have edited the royalmail.php so the prices are right.
if you are going to use royal mail i can send you a copy of the php file so that your prices are correct.

Are you not using the maintenance screen while you are building the website?

AdamB
11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
..... if you are going to use royal mail i can send you a copy of the php file so that your prices are correct..........

Could I get this off you please Matthew? I'm setting an opencart store up in the next few days so it'll come in handy if you can oblige?

Adam

Mattie
11-08-2011, 06:01 PM
No problem, PM me your email and i'll email you a copy.

gavgav
11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Forgot to say gavgav if you are using the royal mail postage option you'll notice the prices are all wrong, i have edited the royalmail.php so the prices are right.
if you are going to use royal mail i can send you a copy of the php file so that your prices are correct.

Are you not using the maintenance screen while you are building the website?

thats a very good point i did have it but forgot to tern it back on after i was playing with layouts if you could send me the the royal mail price pdf that would be great do you want my email addy

Mattie
11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
thats a very good point i did have it but forgot to tern it back on after i was playing with layouts if you could send me the the royal mail price pdf that would be great do you want my email addy

No problem, PM me your email and i'll send you the PHP file so you can upload it

Lee
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
i have edited the royalmail.php so the prices are right.

Hi Matthew - any chance I can have a copy of that please? :)

Mattie
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Matthew - any chance I can have a copy of that please? :)

No problem, PM me your email and i'll send it over