PDA

View Full Version : The big yellow banner.....

Lee
11-08-2011, 04:10 PM
......great idea Justin - I'm sure they will be Q'ing up for this targeted exposure!

Justin
11-08-2011, 04:50 PM
They should be, it's a great opportunity for suppliers. That said, it should be good for members as well because some suppliers are looking at offering discounts etc. through these banners :-)

Kaz
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Scared the wits out of me when I came on the forum there, wasn't expecting it, lol

John G
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
It's big, and it's yellow - its a big yellow banner :biggrin:

Justin
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I thought yellow would grab your attention!

JSR
11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
What big yellow banner? Hang on, I'll use another browser. Oh, I see it now. Can't see it on my regular browser because I use Adblock Plus, as I suspect a vast number of people do.

Justin
11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Just installed Adblock Plus, do you have to customise it? It's running and I can see the banners.

JSR
11-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Probably. Can't remember what I've done to it over the years, though. :redface:

Normally when visiting a site with an ad, you right-click the ad and create a blocking filter. It can either be site specific or general depending on how you adjust the filter. The more filters you add, the less you need to add later.

Justin
11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Oh yes, I see how it works now.....Adblock is banned! lol.

JSR
11-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Not from my computer it isn't! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Justin
11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
You won't get to see the special offers then! ;-)

Paul
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
... And you may miss one like with bms one :)

JSR
11-08-2011, 08:33 PM
You won't get to see the special offers then! ;-)
Can't help that. Screen space is at a premium on my netbook. Can't be doing with banners blocking up a third of my screen. Why can't you put the banner in that big chunk of space on the right of the DSF logo?

The only people who like adverts are the advertisers. End-users constantly try to get rid of them.

Lee
11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Why can't you put the banner in that big chunk of space on the right of the DSF logo?

That would work too....

The only people who like adverts are the advertisers

dont forget the webmaster who place em there and reap the rewards :-)

Paul
11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Why can't you put the banner in that big chunk of space on the right of the DSF logo?

hmmmm :smile: good point :)

The only people who like adverts are the advertisers. End-users constantly try to get rid of them.
well... it depence whats advertised...

AdamB
11-08-2011, 08:44 PM

It's probably because that's not a defined space for more than 1 image (on the coding for the forum) - and Justin probably has a module or something running in the place that it's located at the moment that will probably rotate various different adverts at random.

bms
11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
... And you may miss one like with bms one :)Urm... Which one was that?

Paul
11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
this one (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?2786-Double-Bubble-Loyalty-Points-24-hrs-only)

bms
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
this one (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?2786-Double-Bubble-Loyalty-Points-24-hrs-only)Ah, I see, but that wasn't on a brightly coloured, in your face, advert though ! :)

Paul
11-08-2011, 09:52 PM
thats what I mean... but in future if you or other supplier decide to use this space JSR still going to miss that:)

Justin
11-08-2011, 09:58 PM
It's possible to put ads in the blue area but not ideal right now. As I've mentioned in other posts, the banners will advertise discounts/offers/new products etc. or they won't be there, simple. Therefore it won't just be the suppliers who like them, members will also like them because they'll save money.

JSR
11-08-2011, 11:27 PM
thats what I mean... but in future if you or other supplier decide to use this space JSR still going to miss that:)
As mentioned in that thread, I missed it anyway because I foolishly spent my budget prior to BMS announcing the deal so when the deal came around, I was skint. The solution appears to be to not buy anything from the supplier just in case there's a special offer coming up - which kind of defeats the object. I'm running a business, not a waiting game. :rolleyes:

If that's the kind of special offer we're talking about then I'll look forward to missing them as much as I had to miss the last one. :biggrin:

Paul
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
there is a point there tho... ;)

JSR
11-08-2011, 11:33 PM
It's possible to put ads in the blue area but not ideal right now.
The trouble is that the large blue heading together with the large yellow banner means that a lot of scrolling is required on both my iPad and my netbook. If you have a 22" monitor with off-the-planet high resolution, then it's probably not so noticeable but having to constantly scroll just to see the bit of the page I came to read is incredibly annoying. If the solution is to block the annoying bits, then they get blocked.

the banners will advertise discounts/offers/new products etc. or they won't be there, simple. Therefore it won't just be the suppliers who like them, members will also like them because they'll save money.
I know it'll probably come as a shock to people, and maybe I'm in the minority of one, but I visit this forum to engage in the forum. I don't come here just because there might be a good advert to look at.

Actually, adverts have a reverse reaction on me. If a supplier advertises his wares in an annoying way, then I'll buy from their competition - those who didn't advertise and who didn't annoy me. I've always been like that. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just hate unsolicited adverts.

Justin
11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Appreciate your concerns but all I can say is I hope you are in the majority because with no suppliers advertising the forum will cease to exist, that's one of the only alternatives right now.

As I've said over and over, I hate banners, I hate any kind of advertising as much as anyone else but I have to create an ongoing income to pay for the forum. We keep coming back to the same old argument and no-one has any other/better solutions. I could sell out to one single supplier and get sponsorship that way but this goes against everything we stand for.

Suggestions as always are welcome, it's never too late to make changes....you all know where to find me!

JSR
11-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Appreciate your concerns but all I can say is I hope you are in the majority because with no suppliers advertising the forum will cease to exist, that's one of the only alternatives right now.

As I've said over and over, I hate banners, I hate any kind of advertising as much as anyone else but I have to create an ongoing income to pay for the forum. We keep coming back to the same old argument and no-one has any other/better solutions. I could sell out to one single supplier and get sponsorship that way but this goes against everything we stand for.

Suggestions as always are welcome, it's never too late to make changes....you all know where to find me!
I sympathise, I really do. I would just urge you to find a way of getting the banner up into that blank space next to the logo - then it won't be half as annoying. If you can somehow make it part of the design of the heading, rather than a hideous shade of "where's me sunglasses" yellow, then that would be an added bonus! :wink:

Justin
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
It was made yellow to stand out and grab attention, it certainly did that! Anyway, it's gone now, I'll be looking into this more and speaking to the interested suppliers, I have other ideas as to how to progress and will explore them.

AdamB
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Personally - and this is just me as others are having their opinion. I support Justin 100% as he wants to keep this forum running and needs the funds to do it. I am also sure that Justin has thought long and hard about how to actually impliment the advertisment program, and it's also pretty pointless advertising space to suppliers that isn't seen by potential customers.

If it's tucked away in the corner somewhere then why would they bother to rent the space, and therefore he'd be back in the same boat with no forum funds plus an advertisment banner that isn't being used.

I think we need to think of this from a suppliers point of view as well as a members point of view. If membership was opted for then this wouldn't have to happen but as Justin said - the majority voted on this form of advertisment.

Paul
12-08-2011, 12:22 AM
personally I want my big yellow banner back!!! it bring some life to this blue/grey thame too :cool:

any way... I may make you all (not you JSR) look at my banner first :) I may go for it with my templtes... well.. not my but you know what iam talking about lol :P

Justin
12-08-2011, 12:25 AM
personally I want my big yellow banner back!!! it bring some life to this blue/grey thame too :cool:

You don't like the colour scheme? You just can't please folk can you! :wink:

Paul
12-08-2011, 12:29 AM
i love it! but yellow was so diferent :)

Lee
12-08-2011, 12:30 AM
I think the banner is good, but I also understand theres a lot of scrolling to get to the content on the forum.....I think the banner in the heading would be great, but it would still need to stand out, to make it seen and to tempt advertisers..and personally, I liked the yellow!

Bring
Our
Banner
Back

Paul
12-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Bring
Our
Banner
Back

LOL! I am going to make my rebel tee tomorrow with BOBB on my chest... :D

edit:

or I may do BOBYBB :)

JSR
12-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I think a little green, with a hint of lilac, and the merest suggestion of blue, counterpointed against a dash of red and a slight whiff of orange polka dots would make it look ....

.... just as hideous as the bright yellow! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lee
12-08-2011, 01:06 AM
LOL! I am going to make my rebel tee tomorrow with BOBB on my chest... :D

edit:

or I may do BOBYBB :)

I was going for BOBBY but it didnt look right :-|

purpledragon
19-08-2011, 12:29 AM
personally i think it should be purple