PDA

View Full Version : Funds Target Reached - What happens now

Justin
03-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Many thanks again to everyone who donated this time around, I'm very touched at how quickly everyone helped :D

The funding will be used to cover 12 months hosting. I'm about to take out a new package and transfer the existing domain name in as well. One of the initial benefits to this will be increased storage space. This will allow us to have larger galleries along with guides, tuturials etc.

I've not gone for the cheapest option, although it is very good value. We needed to make sure certain facilities were available for future development and this was taken into consideration when choosing the host. We'll also get a money back guarantee should any problems arise.

Please note: Whilst the domain name transfer is in being carried out you may not be able to access the forum via www.dyesubforum.co.uk. (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk.) If this happens please use http://subli.forumotion.com/ I'll update this thread as and when anything changes.

Thanks again folks.

Justin :-)

JSR
03-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for keeping us "in the loop". There's nothing worse than never being told what's going on. :)

Justin
24-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Just a quick update. The hosting company I chose turned out to be a pain in the....bum, so I cancelled and got a full refund. I'm now looking elsewhere and hope to have a new package up and running very soon.
These funds aren't currently refelected in the fund graph.

One thing I've looked at is being able to give every member there own DSF email address. I should be able to supply at least 1000 addresses to start with so that should keep us going for a little while!
Not sure whether to only offer these to users with a certain post count or make a very small charge. We've had problems with some new users being able to register .biz addresses so it would be good to offer a dsf addy to them.

As always, appreciate your comments and suggestions here please.

Justin :-)

JSR
24-01-2010, 04:40 PM
One thing I've looked at is being able to give every member there own DSF email address. I should be able to supply at least 1000 addresses to start with so that should keep us going for a little while!
Not sure whether to only offer these to users with a certain post count or make a very small charge. We've had problems with some new users being able to register .biz addresses so it would be good to offer a dsf addy to them.
Sounds like an intriguing idea.

Personally, I wouldn't use the address as I'd see no point in it. I have enough email addresses of my own. And if everyone and anyone could send emails purporting to be from @dyesubforum.co.uk, how would we know if the email was official, just a member, or some spammer?

If, however, the @dyesubforum.co.uk emails were just used by the admin and mods, we could be reasonably sure the emails are legitimate.

Justin
24-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Good points JSR. As you've said, you, me and probably most others have enough addresses anyway so it isn't a big giveaway by any stretch. We've have to monitor it closely, this is where the limited number of posts may prove a good benchmark. Charging 'something' for an addy would also hopefully keep spammers away.

Just wanted to throw it out there, perhaps you're right, admin and mods to use only.