PDA

View Full Version : Is sublimation the only option for mugs?

TGal
16-08-2011, 09:23 PM
I'd like to start printing mugs but I have no experience of sublimation. I currently use inkjet transfer paper and occasionally the self-weeding laser papers. Can anyone tell me if there is an alternative to sublimation as I'm happy with the results I get with standard pigment ink on fabric and would rather not have to go down the sublimation route? I'm only wanting to produce small volumes of around 10-20 mugs per week.

John G
16-08-2011, 09:25 PM
If your doing those kind of volumes sub is the only way to go. You can do laser transfer but the end result, i've heard, is pretty poor and will scratch off easily.

TGal
16-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry if this sounds stupid but what will I need?.... Will I need a printer dedicated to sublimation inks or can you interchange between sublimation and pigment ink? I really don't want to invest too much as I'm not sure what the demand will be.

Justin
16-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Dedicated printer with sublimations inks, A4 would be fine. You don't need to spend a fortune on either the printer or the mug press. The inks will appear to be quite expensive but when you see how long they last and how many mugs you can print with them they work out very cheap per print.

Mugs have a great mark up and you'd make the money back very quickly. When I started out I did everything except mugs, now 95% of my work is mugs.

Take a look at our Suppliers list http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?104-UK-Suppliers and also watch the Suppleirs section at the bottom of the forum for special offers.

Paul
16-08-2011, 10:05 PM
you would need epson printer. A4 in yor case would be best. also 4 colours only so is cheaper as you said you dont want to spend to much. then you can pick up good press of ebay for about £80 now! if you got £200 spare you in buddy! but beware! there is learning curve in sublimation and this is not hobby that works "out of the box". I think its fair to say that cheaper you go more you need to learn ;)

TGal
16-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I think I'll give it a try as the investment for sublimation isn't as much as I'd expected. No doubt I'll be asking for more advice when it comes to producing the mugs. I did read that I have to 'glaze' the mugs - can I do this with the mug press?

Paul
16-08-2011, 10:21 PM
you glaze them only when you use laser transfer method :)
with sublimation ther already nice and shiny.

and whats the cos you expected??? coz there is quite large cost.

TGal
16-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Ah I see - Sublimation is sounding better by the minute! I thought that I'd probably need around £200 for the printer/inks and £300-£400 for a decent mug press. I'm currently looking for a new press for shirts as mine has pretty much died today - the Geo Knight one I was looking at is around £1k which I'm not sure if I can justify and it made me assume that a mug press would be at least a few hundred quid. I got a good 2-3 of years out of my current heat press (it was unbranded from ebay) but I've read mixed feedback about presses bought on ebay and was worried I'd get unlucky this time. As a result, I was looking at buying presses from known brands, new but the cost difference is huge.

Paul
16-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Ah I see - Sublimation is sounding better by the minute! I thought that I'd probably need around £200 for the printer/inks and £300-£400 for a decent mug press.
coz you need this much ): i only gived to you the cheapes option that you would go but i never said is the best :) is only start up one if you know what i mean ;)

TGal
16-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Buy cheap, buy twice and all that! ;)

Paul
16-08-2011, 11:01 PM
sort off. you can get cheaper printer, refill carts insted of ciss etc to save money. but press should be at least digital :)
the cheapest option for printers I think is epson s21. most noisy printer on earth but do work :) refill carts and custom made icc profile is the cheapest option for you :)
btw. this is not supported gear in sublimation world by any company so if you decide to this route n one will help you when you in trouble. only us lol :)
btw2 IanM is useing this printer with great results so is worth to ask him few questions about this printer etc...

mrs maggot
17-08-2011, 08:03 AM
i have the multi mug press from BMS - i was lucky enough to win it, but i have to say its a brilliant little press, and with it being a multi press i can press latte mugs as well, which are selling well, and with you being in london - might be a good way to go, not everyone wants a std mug.

John G
17-08-2011, 10:30 AM
If I was starting out, and was a complete newbie, I'd go for this type of package - maybe more expensive than the Epson's at around £420.00 but works out of the box.

Printer with ink: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/489/ricoh-sublimation-printers.htm
Mug Press: http://www.coralgraph.com/heat-press/mug-stand-press-heat-press-transfer-machine-ce

(http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/489/ricoh-sublimation-printers.htm)

mgibbs
17-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Using a Ricoh printer rather than Epson reduces the learning curve a lot as there's no colour profiles to worry about (its all done in the printer driver software).

A more expensive printer and a little more expensive to run but trouble free (Epsons can suffer heads clogging up with sublimation ink - especially if you're only doing small numbers).

Mark

stuart
17-08-2011, 12:08 PM
we have used epsons before,and had nothing but trouble,heads blocked all the time.
now got the ricoh gx 7000 and its great.
the choice is yours
stu

JSR
17-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Without going over the whole discussion again, the "Epsons always block, Ricoh are the best" mantra is a circular argument. Some people never have blockages with Epsons, others always get them. Some people never have problems with Ricoh, others have mainboard failures.

Whatever printer/set-up you use, it's important to understand that there is *no* desktop inkjet printer that's been designed to use dye-sublimation inks. The manufacturer of the printer and the manufacturer of the ink are not associated in anyway whatsoever.

Whatever printer option you go for, it's always going to be a case of "square peg in round hole" and you take any associated risks upon your own personal responsibility as you would with putting any third-party ink in an OEM printer.

Personally, I'm having success using a £60 printer made by Brother. That works for me.

You may find something entirely different works best for you. There are no guarantees.