PDA

View Full Version : Mobile broadband

pitkin2020
18-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Is anyone using it, you know the dongle type one. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to technology normally but I haven't really found a great deal info on mobile broadband, specifically PAYG dongles.

If you use one, how much are you roughly paying for how much data? Are you able to keep track of the real data your using? Is it simply like topping up your phone, i.e over the phone?

Thought I would get some real views on it. I could do with sorting this out as I don't have any internet access from the workshop so I have to pop home from time to time to get something off the net which is a pain being an 8 mile round trip just to get something stupid like a font lol.

stuart
18-08-2011, 07:48 PM
i am on a 3 dongle now whilst on holiday.
works perfect everytime,£15 top up gives me 3 gig of surfing,but it only lasts a month.
you can check your balance when ever you wish.
only use it whilst away from home
stu

fredster
18-08-2011, 08:03 PM
im on a contract one with 3 .. £15 a month for 15gb i think ..never gone over it apart from checking emails abroad when they charge you the earth.. great for working away

pitkin2020
18-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Stuart how are you topping it up and can basically top up when you want just like a mobile.

Thanks Fred, 15gb is a lot of data especially for what I really want it for. I won't be collecting that many emails if any at all I will probably avoid using forums etc its just more for convenience and to save diesel. Half the time I get to the unit to realise I haven't moved an image or font over to my removal HDD so have to go all the way home to get it, wasting time and fuel when I could just get it again offline or get the other half to mail it.

Kaz
18-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I had one of those while waiting for my broadband connection to go on, topped it up online, well, hubby did, lol

AdamB
18-08-2011, 08:46 PM
.....Half the time I get to the unit to realise I haven't moved an image or font over to my removal HDD so have to go all the way home to get it, wasting time and fuel when I could just get it again offline or get the other half to mail it.

why not upload your stuff to an 'online' hard-drive like open drive (https://www.opendrive.com/) where you can have 5gb FREE. There's more that you can use for free and this is just an example but this way it doesn't matter where you are - you just log in and pick up files etc.

pitkin2020
18-08-2011, 08:51 PM
why not upload your stuff to an 'online' hard-drive like open drive (https://www.opendrive.com/) where you can have 5gb FREE. There's more that you can use for free and this is just an example but this way it doesn't matter where you are - you just log in and pick up files etc.

Thats good but I still need online access to get it. It definetly something I should add along with a dongle.

P4UL
18-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I only have and use a mobile broadband connection on my PC for 3 years now. Three network, 15gb for about £15 per month. I am on the web a lot and do plenty of uploading/downloading. Only had a couple of service issues, 1 which left me with no service for 2 weeks, for this I was refunded, after many phone calls to support. Well worth having mobile broadband for me, as I don't have a land line and I can use it on my Netbook/laptop when I am not indoors.

If you plan to use the connection in one place and have issues with reception, like I had. You should look for the dongle with the small port to except an external antenna.

pitkin2020
18-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I only have and use a mobile broadband connection on my PC for 3 years now. Three network, 15gb for about £15 per month. I am on the web a lot and do plenty of uploading/downloading. Only had a couple of service issues, 1 which left me with no service for 2 weeks, for this I was refunded, after many phone calls to support. Well worth having mobile broadband for me, as I don't have a land line and I can use it on my Netbook/laptop when I am not indoors.

If you plan to use the connection in one place and have issues with reception, like I had. You should look for the dongle with the small port to except an external antenna. I'm glad you said that as that is my main issue, buying the dongle then finding it doesn't actually receive a signal from where I intend to use. Which for me will be one main place, obviously I will probably use it occasionally away from the unit, but the main purpose is for one single location.

I have checked the online checker for most of the major brands for coverage and i'm struggling to find one that actually gives a definite "Yes it can be used in that location" most are a little sketchy. I think I will have to pop in the shop and see what the returns policy is.

Cheers

mrs maggot
19-08-2011, 07:57 AM
you can buy them preloaded with an allowance rather than money on them, i know costco were selling them like that

stuart
19-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Stuart how are you topping it up and can basically top up when you want just like a mobile.

Thanks Fred, 15gb is a lot of data especially for what I really want it for. I won't be collecting that many emails if any at all I will probably avoid using forums etc its just more for convenience and to save diesel. Half the time I get to the unit to realise I haven't moved an image or font over to my removal HDD so have to go all the way home to get it, wasting time and fuel when I could just get it again offline or get the other half to mail it.
i just top up on line as and when needed,just dont put to much credit on cus it on lasts the month and doesnt roll over
stu

Paul
19-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm glad you said that as that is my main issue, buying the dongle then finding it doesn't actually receive a signal from where I intend to use. Which for me will be one main place, obviously I will probably use it occasionally away from the unit, but the main purpose is for one single location.

I have checked the online checker for most of the major brands for coverage and i'm struggling to find one that actually gives a definite "Yes it can be used in that location" most are a little sketchy. I think I will have to pop in the shop and see what the returns policy is.

Cheers
did you decided what company you want to go with?? I thin "3" got best deal for the mobile net. is good to find somone with mobile phone at 3 and just put it where your laptop normaly is. if there is signal in mobile phone then there will be signal in dongle.

logobear
19-08-2011, 10:17 AM
What about tethering a smart phone?I recall a separate thread that mentioned some phones and contracts that permitted it...Does anyone know which?

Paul
19-08-2011, 10:25 AM
yep :) I got galaxy Ace on contract on "3". it cost me £27a month and I got option 1 whitch is "eat data as much as you can" so you not restricted. also as you said you can use your phone as a modem. adn I think if iam correct there is possibility to connect more then one pc to it :) cant bit that...!

pitkin2020
19-08-2011, 11:09 AM
did you decided what company you want to go with?? I thin "3" got best deal for the mobile net. is good to find somone with mobile phone at 3 and just put it where your laptop normaly is. if there is signal in mobile phone then there will be signal in dongle.

No not yet, I did think if you had a phone signal there then you should be ok. If thats the case than O2 is going to be my best bet as I know orange has no signal and vodafone is very iffy. I don't know anyone on 3 in this area as the signal for 3 down here is pretty hit and miss. I am on Tesco mobile aka O2 and thats fine.

What about tethering a smart phone?I recall a separate thread that mentioned some phones and contracts that permitted it...Does anyone know which?

yep :) I got galaxy Ace on contract on "3". it cost me £27a month and I got option 1 whitch is "eat data as much as you can" so you not restricted. also as you said you can use your phone as a modem. adn I think if iam correct there is possibility to connect more then one pc to it :) cant bit that...!

I no longer have a contract phone or I may have looked at that option but even then I think most contracts only offer 500mb/1gb of data. I'm not using £20 a month on my tesco PAYG so I don't really need the expense of another contract. Think dongle is the best way to go i'll look into more next week i'm going to see if I can borrow a friends dongle (O2 I think) and see what the signal is like.

Cheers for all the help

Paul
19-08-2011, 11:19 AM
i know what you say... but if you top up your phone with £20 and your dongle with 15 it makes £35 :) with contract phone it cost me £27 and I have a smart phone, all I can eat internet data and i can use it as a modem with my cable :) £8 saved a month and £96 a year. loads of blanks for this money or roll of vinyl :)

pitkin2020
19-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I see what your saying but currently my mobile is only costing on average £5 per month, I top up roughly £10 every 2 months. With Tesco when I top up £10 I get £20 free credit which I use in month 1 then I use the £10 credit in month 2 so it is cheap. I'm thinking with a dongle that it isn't going to cost me more than £5 per month £10 tops as it will only really be very light use that I need it for.....but then I would like a new phone I have had this one 6 months now lol