PDA

View Full Version : Just a few (more) questions from a beginner!

SciArtImages
20-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Hi,
Been printing mugs successfully and wanting to expand. Posts here suggested I would be best buying my own flat bed press. So it arrives on Monday (hopefully the right one this time!). A few questions if you would be so good as to give your advice on.
1. For aluminium 'bits' (for BMS key-fobs, Subli cufflinks etc) is it best to do them upside-down (ie paper print face up, metal sub side down, heat coming from above) if so, do you need a sheet of baking paper above to prevent ink going onto the plates? Also, do you need any longer to press or does the metal conduct so well that it works just as good? Trying not to waste too many bits!
2. Subli supplies suggest using an extra strong dble sided tape to fix the subbed bits onto the cufflinks. What tape do others use, I guess it needs to be as thin as possible? Considered superglue but would prefer a bond throughout the 'bit'!
Would be very grateful for any advice,

Thanks,
Neil.

Paul
20-08-2011, 01:28 AM
I print loads of keyrings and aluminium last few days and I can tell you that it does not realy matter :) alluminium is so thin that you can print it up side down if you want but... If you print them normal way dont forget put something under your blank. some sort of protection. sheet of paper will do the job. as bleeding from the transfer will bleed to the rubber matt. if you print them up side down then you need protection sheet over the top so ink dont bleed to the heat platen :) I hope I dont confuse you to much lol :)

in one stright answer: it does not matter :)

2.I use double sided tape. I used glue but is need some time to dry and i dont trust it. as glue can crack. You can pick up 3 rols of double sided tape from your pound shop :) is thin as a cleanng film and hold like hell :) so double sided tape every time for me :)

SciArtImages
20-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks Paul,

And there was me thinking I might need to buy a special type of tape to get the grip I needed to hold on well! Have you never had any come lose (or complaints of them coming off)?
As to printing, I was thinking it might be easier to print a load of designs on a single sheet, stick the face of those items onto the sheet (print side up, obviously, sub side down) with a bit of tape covering the backs, then a sheet of baking paper over the top.
Anyone see anything reason this won't work?

Neil.

Paul
20-08-2011, 02:25 AM
yes. this is basicly what i was doing. I printed about 15 same photos on one A4 and then just stick inserts to it. 40 sec in the press and job done :) 15 inserts ready to stick to the keyrings :)

And there was me thinking I might need to buy a special type of tape to get the grip I needed to hold on well! Have you never had any come lose (or complaints of them coming off)?
lol :) no. this tape is enough :D I never had a lose one :)
I tell you something my friend :D
one day I had 3 keyrings to print for my mum, dad and my sis. :) gues waht?? I done them all but one for my sis with picture of her boy I sticked upside down. not a huge problem as this is a keyring not a necles so it does not realy matter what side it is :) but me be me tryed to correct my mistake and decided to use knife to lift it off and stick it again correct side this time :) you know what??
I damaged the insert lol :redface: this bloody tape was holding it so strong that i bend the insert. so need to print one more again :D

I think you will be preaty safe to use double sided tape...
btw. where do you get your keyrings from?
I got my from Coralgraph and they got tape already sticked to the keyring :)

SciArtImages
20-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I just got some keyrings from BMS, actually hugely impressed with the quality - they are very heavy and quite nice (I might even consider buying one myself!), and am waiting on some cufflinks from Sublimetals.
Just waiting on Coralgraph to send me the right press so I can actually make use of all these blanks!!
Neil

Paul
20-08-2011, 02:48 AM
yes they are heavy and nice :D I got two with my car keys :D and one plastic unisub :D lol :D

jennywren
20-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I have order cuff-links of Subli metals, do you have the templates or do you think Nicky will have these, I am a bit concerned for the round ones as I don't have the a cutter, but liking the thread as you are probably asking the question I would have.

Front Bedroom
22-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I protected the top and bottom surfaces of my flatbed press with PTFE sheeting held on with heat tape over 3 years ago and I've never had any problems with ink bleed through ever since. Even the original tape is still holding.