PDA

View Full Version : my poor car :(

Paul
20-08-2011, 05:26 PM
I just come back from playground with my wife and daughter and after juming in to my car i noticed little envelope on my windscreen. There was little message saying that they witness when my car was hit by blac vw beetle at sme speed. they noticed what they did and done the runner! I checked my car and in did. my car was hit in rear bumper. no much damages but scratch a s***t out of my bumper :( Is only Rover 45 but it costed me £1200 and it was well in nice condition. now is not :( and it was all my savings I had so make me feel ungry even more :(
I got reg number from witnes in the note too. Also time 2:30 and they mention to check this timing in the local cctv. Unfortunatly witness never left the contact number so I can not ring them and thank them for they help. now... what can I do about this? I dont want to pay excess to my insurance company as I can not prove it. all i got is little note with all info but with noe witnes details :(

All I want to do is to ring the person up and say how impressed i am with they bravenest :( thats it.

Justin
20-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh dear, never nice when that happens Paul. Have you spoken to your insurance company yet? Do you have your no claims protected?

Lee
20-08-2011, 06:00 PM
If you havent got any contact info theres not much you can do, except store that bit of knowledge that there are still some decent people left in this society..... ;-)

Paul
20-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I did not phone them as there is no damages except loads of scratches. so idont want to pay excess only coz that. I know i can get all this back bu dont know...
I dont have my no claim bonus protected but surely if somone hit me i am not going lose nothing??

Paul
20-08-2011, 06:02 PM
If you havent got any contact info theres not much you can do, except store that bit of knowledge that there are still some decent people left in this society..... ;-)
my mate just call me and he said when his wife had a accident and fella done the runer he when police and police gave him guy details (!) may try this on monday!

Justin
20-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Give them a call, worth checking out your options.

Lee
20-08-2011, 06:15 PM
only if you can prove it etc...... so if its only scratches you might have to just try to move on....

Lee
20-08-2011, 06:16 PM
yeah, if the police can find him and look at his car, he will be in serioous trouble - hit and run - so yo should get everything covered ;-)

Reg
20-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Check your local body repair shop to see if they do a no fault insurance normally free to about £30 which you can take out after an accident and they will deal with it, my mate dose it for free but he's to far away from you.

Paul
20-08-2011, 06:19 PM
would be great! just to stand on fron of her/him and poke in the eye and say how rude they where!

jennywren
20-08-2011, 06:57 PM
works for me a poke in the eye

John G
20-08-2011, 08:37 PM
If you have the guy's reg plate just go straight to the police - its illegal to leave the scene of an accident.

Paul
20-08-2011, 08:56 PM
so... is it clased as a accident then??

John G
20-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I would report it to the police then pass the details, along with the crime number, to your insurance. It may backfire though, if they can't prove anything, your no claims may be affected.

Cheers John

pitkin2020
20-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Firstly I would report it to the police, secondly I would I go to the MIB database pay the £3.50 IIRC and get the car owners insurance details (if you have the Reg), phone this persons insurance company and start a claim against them.

Your only real issue without the witnesses (although they left you a note) contact information it will come down to your word against theirs but hopefully the police maybe able to get hold of CCTV for you.

pitkin2020
20-08-2011, 09:57 PM
EDIT: personally I wouldn't go to my own insurer just yet I would deal direct with the other person insurers. If a claim is made even a no fault claim you will have to inform your insurer and you will have to make it clear you have had a claim for the next five years.

Paul
20-08-2011, 09:58 PM
thanks guys. I will go see the police on monday and see what they say.

Paul
20-08-2011, 09:59 PM
EDIT: personally I wouldn't go to my own insurer just yet I would deal direct with the other person insurers. If a claim is made even a no fault claim you will have to inform your insurer and you will have to make it clear you have had a claim for the next five years.
but i should not lose any no claim bonus should I??

pitkin2020
20-08-2011, 10:04 PM
but i should not lose any no claim bonus should I??

NO you won't lose your no claims if you are able to claim off the other driver, obviously if you can't claim off the other driver then you loose some NCB and you will have to pay your excess. You MAY still see an increase in your premiums though even for a no fault claim as the insurers will mark you as having an accident, which IMO and most others is really unfair.

Ian M
21-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Paul, you should contact the police ASAP & tell them you wasn't even in the car at the time. The police do take hit & runs very seriously as there is usually a good chance the other driver is a bit iffy. The police will go & visit him/her & check all their details & if is anything is amiss the police will come down on them. Don't worry as the police will be on your side & should do all they can to help you.

As for the insurance just tell them everything that happend & once they have the other drives details they will persue them for the repair costs. If the other driver does not have any insurance tell the police you want to persue charges to recover the costs of your repairs & they should help you with this. Also tell your insurance company the same & they should do all they can to get the costs of repir from the other driver even if they have to take him to court to recover the costs.

Your in a bit better position than one of my neighbours who decided to do a U turn in the middle of a busy road only to hit the side of a van & then realise he had no MOT on his car for the past 6 weeks.