PDA

View Full Version : Outline of paper is showing on garment

ianElliott
31-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I have been trying to apply a sublimation transfer to an AWDis cool T and the dye transfers great but left with the lurking of the paper. What am I doing wrong? Is it too much pressure?Basically place t-shirt on the heat press, insert a Teflon pillow inside, place transfer on to t-shirt and press. The Teflon pillow is larger than the transfer I am trying to apply.Any help would be really appreciated as i cannot work put what is happening. I tried the Teflon pillow after mucking up the first few by not using it! It doesn't seem to make much difference.Thank you.

John G
31-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Never used a teflon pillow before but if you have to use one i'd suggest one that was smaller than the transfer - may be worth a try. I've also heard of people tearing (not cutting) the sides of the transfer before pressing as it leaves less of a sharp line.

Cheers John

Paul
31-08-2011, 10:12 PM
http://youtu.be/PDKQyzUb4zo

AdamB
31-08-2011, 11:01 PM
I remember seeing this when Justin posted it a few months ago.

My thoughts are that this is totally unpractical if you don't have a swingaway press - why you may ask?

Well, if you have an image that doesn't take a square area up then you simply cut it out squarely and then position the square on the garment and then press - doing this you can get the image in the right place as you can see exactly where it is judging the distance left, right up and down.

Now - if you rip the sides of the image to take away this then you'll not have the design dead centre and if you don't have a swingaway press it's hard to look over it to see the image through the paper ................. thus causing designs that are off centre.

Great in theory, but impractical for some :-(

Justin
31-08-2011, 11:05 PM
It does work a treat but as Adam mentions affects the lining up of the paper.

Paul
31-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I think this is good alternative. I tear my paper when I do some tees. I fleep it over so i can see the image. layout it then make selection with heat tape. then fleep it back again and off it go to the roasting machine. works good.

John G
31-08-2011, 11:24 PM
An alternative before tearing, you could hold it up to the light, or lightbox, and mark centrelines on with pencil. Tear away then judge the correct position by the centrelines - it doesn't have to be a swing away press.

Paul
31-08-2011, 11:35 PM
good idea John! I got to try that. against the window as i dont have lightbox :)

ianElliott
31-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will give it a try in the next few days and let you know the outcome.

mrs maggot
01-09-2011, 08:40 AM
normally a teflon pillow is used where you have a poloshirt or shirt with buttons or a garment with a zip, if you cannot lay the garment flat, also when you press a sleeve, and dont want to press against the seam of the sleeve, as you would if it was just flat. i would not use a teflon pillow otherwise, that might also be whats giving you the mark, given that you are making the whole thing thicker, so you press is firmer against it - if that makes sense