PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Question

Robert
05-01-2010, 03:07 PM
So, my mug press came without any instructions. It seems pretty straight forward, however, I have no idea what pressure the mugs should be under when pressing. Since the press doesn't gauge the force applied, there is no way of me knowing what one person might call firm pressure and another may call light pressure.
Is there a good rule of thumb other than trial and error? For example, should the mug still be able to move, or should it be rock solid locked in place?

R.Prints
05-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Good question, my rule of thum is mugs should be held solidly so no movement can occur as this stops any chance of the print moving and giving you a ghost print. Every press is different so trial and error will quickly give you the pressures that work for you.

Good Luck
Ray

purpledragon
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Rays right
trial and error you will find will be your biggest friend. everyone has slightly differnt takes on how things should be i believe a lot has to do with the enviroment you are working in ie too hot too cold just right, it can all have an effect . You want to be able to close the mug press without taking a run at it but not have it set so lightly a butterfly could operate it. After that just see what bworks if your prints are good no problem if you have problems ie bleeding or ghosting then alter the settings eg time , pressure, heat etc. i find its the times and heat thats the most important concentrate on these first.
Brett

logobear
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
When setting the pressure should the mug mishape the heating blanket much?
I reasoned that it should be as gentle as possible, when I have it tight so the mug deforms the blanket a lot I worry that this might reduce blanket life.
We only use standard 11oz mugs so maybe I should be tighter?
What is best to improve edge to edge as tops n bottoms can somtimes come out thin on my DF 180
p

Kaz
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I can't comment on the pressure, as mine has a handle that locks in place, and the press won't operate until it's locked.

When doing full wraps, do you have the paper slightly bigger than the mug?

That way it sublimates over the top and bottom edge and gives a nicer finish, well, I think so anyway :)

bms
06-04-2010, 08:32 PM
With most of the sponge type elements in the mug presses I tend to let the wrap bend slightly over the top/ bottom of the mug. The mug needs to be tight enough so that it can't move, but not overly tight that the blanket creases over the top/ bottom of the press.