PDA

View Full Version : printer quandries ...

sarahjayne
11-09-2011, 10:18 PM
After much thought and research I've decided to forgo the lure of a Ricoh for now - so I've looked and looked and I'm now left with 2 plans ...
I have an Epson B1100 - use refillable carts in this and forgo large inkjet printer and use my old canon ip5300 for printing - cost - the refillable carts and the ink but loose ability to do A3 photos or buy an Epson S22 (I have read the unsupported and profiling issues but seems folks are finding ways around this using other profiles)refillable carts £25 and ink £50 - cost - £100 - can get the printer for less than £20.
Any thoughts? Which way would you go?
I'd prefer refillable carts over CISS I think.
thanks for any advice.

smitch6
11-09-2011, 11:16 PM
i have used a smaller epson s21 i think
and found it horrid it was noisy and the print quality wasn't that good
so i got rid of it and bought a B1100 and it's been brill
apart from the odd blocked head that cleared ok it's always printed perfectly

i know some ppl use the smaller epsons and have no problems

you can get refillable carts for the B1100 and profiles are available for it

JSR
12-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I'd prefer refillable carts over CISS I think.
The problem with refillable carts in an Epson is that the cartridges are so tiny and only hold a small amount of ink. If you're only going to print infrequently, then they're probably be going to be okay - but if you plan to print a lot, then you're going to forever be refilling them.

I have Epson R1400s here with refillable cartridges in, but I use them very rarely and only for items that won't fit on A4 paper.

sarahjayne
12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
i have used a smaller epson s21 i think
and found it horrid it was noisy and the print quality wasn't that good
so i got rid of it and bought a B1100 and it's been brill
apart from the odd blocked head that cleared ok it's always printed perfectly

i know some ppl use the smaller epsons and have no problems

you can get refillable carts for the B1100 and profiles are available for it
thanks - that's kind of got me swayed to the B1100.

sarahjayne
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
The problem with refillable carts in an Epson is that the cartridges are so tiny and only hold a small amount of ink. If you're only going to print infrequently, then they're probably be going to be okay - but if you plan to print a lot, then you're going to forever be refilling them.

I have Epson R1400s here with refillable cartridges in, but I use them very rarely and only for items that won't fit on A4 paper.

I might look at CISS later down the line - right now I'm just messing around trying to get to grips with things and with 2 young kids I'm tied to late night working time only, so wont be churning out in huge numbers for a while. Just want to make samples, try designs, show what I can do and there seems to be a lot of maintenance with a CISS system if it isn't being used regularly. I thought I'd use the carts and try to print just half a dozen mug wraps or t shirt prints a day to keep the ink flowing when it wasn't in use.
Actually can you store the printed wraps or do they need to be used straight away?
thanks for the info.

smitch6
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
no the will keep for ages, don't actually know how long but i'm sure it's indefinitely

have fun and i'm sure if you have any questions this place will answer them for you :)
CISS are good but they can be messy esp if you forget you put it up higher than the printer while trying to unblock heads
then an hour or so later come back to find ink EVERYWHERE, not good on the boat where i have pine :~ now mulit coloured pine near the printer lol

JSR
12-09-2011, 03:40 PM
CISS are good but they can be messy esp if you forget you put it up higher than the printer while trying to unblock heads
then an hour or so later come back to find ink EVERYWHERE, not good on the boat where i have pine :~ now mulit coloured pine near the printer lol
On the other hand, if you remove refillable cartridges to refill them or inadvertently let them run dry, you're more likely to have air in the printhead - a real pain to shift, because you think it's a blocked printhead when it isn't.

Swings and roundabouts, really.

What we really need is for the manufacturer of the "authorised" ink to "support" the industry by working with a printer manufacturer to create a printer designed for their ink. Like that's gonna happen... :rolleyes:

sarahjayne
15-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Still thrashing about deciding what to do. I didnt realise a CISS system for a B1100 came in at around £285, even a second hand was out of my league.
Any low cost recommendations? Just to get me started.

Paul
15-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Still thrashing about deciding what to do. I didnt realise a CISS system for a B1100 came in at around £285, even a second hand was out of my league.
If you want low cost it has to be "unsuported".

Can you tell whats your budget??

bms
15-09-2011, 09:59 PM

I know of a B1100 (brand new/ reconditioned from Epson as a replacement B1100 - never had any ink cartridges in it) plus an Artainium EasyFlow system with about 75% of the original ink in it to include a new cartridge and tube assembly. Customer has changed to a Ricoh GXe3300 so this system is available at well below the new cost (new cost around £480 inc vat). As this isn't us that's selling the system then I can't confirm the actual price, but this is what the system is as we saw the customer earlier today.

sarahjayne
15-09-2011, 10:24 PM
If you want low cost it has to be "unsuported".

Can you tell whats your budget??

£250 is pushing my top limit - I had hoped to pick up something used. I have seen a new Epson SX125 with CISS for €100 and 100ml sublimation ink €132 for 6 bottles (although it has light cyan and light magenta - which I wouldn't want) they have a unit in Galway, so at least will be able to visit them. They do repairs as well. Might be worth it for the convenience, if the set up works.

sarahjayne
15-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I know of a B1100 (brand new/ reconditioned from Epson as a replacement B1100 - never had any ink cartridges in it) plus an Artainium EasyFlow system with about 75% of the original ink in it to include a new cartridge and tube assembly. Customer has changed to a Ricoh GXe3300 so this system is available at well below the new cost (new cost around £480 inc vat). As this isn't us that's selling the system then I can't confirm the actual price, but this is what the system is as we saw the customer earlier today.
Think I have spoken to him - unfortunately £250 is the most I have to spend. Hence my post above. Thanks for the info though.

John G
15-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Is the sx125 ok to be used as a sublimation printer, would you be able to get a profile for the inks, and are the inks dye sublimation or just dye inks? You'll be surprised how many people buy dye inks thinking they are dye sublimation. If you know all this already just ignore me. :redface:

Paul
15-09-2011, 10:36 PM
hmmm... you could get artanium inks and some cheap epson with 4 colours cartridges but it would be point less as you have dear ink but no profile :(
only way you can go is buy second had or unsuported... choice is yours...

sarahjayne
15-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Is the sx125 ok to be used as a sublimation printer, would you be able to get a profile for the inks, and are the inks dye sublimation or just dye inks? You'll be surprised how many people buy dye inks thinking they are dye sublimation. If you know all this already just ignore me. :redface:

No it would be unsupported but a guy told me he has used one without a profile successfully. And the inks are here http://www.adverts.ie/printer-accessories-supplies/set-of-sublimation-ink-100-ml-6-colors/761954

bms
15-09-2011, 11:00 PM
£250 is pushing my top limit - I had hoped to pick up something used. I have seen a new Epson SX125 with CISS for €100 and 100ml sublimation ink €132 for 6 bottles (although it has light cyan and light magenta - which I wouldn't want) they have a unit in Galway, so at least will be able to visit them. They do repairs as well. Might be worth it for the convenience, if the set up works.

Please take this comment as advice, not as a supplier try to sell something...

Looking to get a cheaper printer with cheap inks may cost you less than £250. Okay, so you think you have a bargain and start to get your printer set up and inks flowing. Next you come to print your mugs etc and the colours aren't right or there are problems elsewhere with ink flow. Going cheap may be suitable for someone who has good knowledge of printers/ printing and knows how to profile or resolve problems. The problem I foresee (from experience as well as mystical foresight :tongue:) is that often spending cheap now ends up in spending twice and the second time is for a printer and inks that is supported and works and has the back up of a reputable supplier. Now it makes no difference to me whether you buy from a company in Ireland, UK or elsewhere, but please spend wisely not cheaply.

Paul
15-09-2011, 11:00 PM
No it would be unsupported but a guy told me he has used one without a profile successfully. And the inks are here http://www.adverts.ie/printer-accessories-supplies/set-of-sublimation-ink-100-ml-6-colors/761954
dont belive that! Only coz somone accept the results not mean they great! lets be honest! you need to TELL your printer how to print to see right colours. thats why icc is needed.

smitch6
15-09-2011, 11:03 PM
although mine printed perfectly without a profile ;)

sarahjayne
16-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks to everyone who has offered me help both on this thread and by PM. Ordered some refillable carts, ringing about ink tomorrow, got an idea of how to "make" a profile and converting my current B1100 for now. Will let you know how I get on.
cheers to you all I appreciate all the input - even though it generally just leaves me more confused!

JSR
16-09-2011, 12:52 AM
You're luckier than most people to have a place selling the ink that you can go visit. As you're starting out, I'd recommend a visit sooner rather than later - so that you can understand what's involved.