PDA

View Full Version : RICOH GX5050N - COLOUR HELP - PLEASE

steve dee
05-01-2010, 05:52 PM
hi can anyone help me,i have just bought the ricoh gx5050n & have installed the profile disc & evreything else,i printed a mug tempate out whch i got from "paul" on here(thanks paul),his picture was a more blue & when printed they looked more purple ?any ideas ?,also dont seen to be getting full bright colours have done head cleans & still no luck ?......please help if you can.

also need help mug press questions if anyones looking in that area,thanks steve

purpledragon
05-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Have you done a test page on your printer i assume it would be similar to epson ie make sure no breaks in the lines etc, You would get to this through your maintanance tab of your printer. Are you applying the profile to your images its not enough to just install it. what software are you using? what help do you need mug press wise?

steve dee
05-01-2010, 06:01 PM
yep done test page & lined up heads & all stuff,made sure when print profile was selected before printed but just seems to be more dull when printed out.(like lightblue was more purple).

how long does a mug press have to be on for before you use ?
typical heat setting & temperature ?

thanks

purpledragon
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
some put a mug inwhile trhe press heats up then press the timer once it reaches temp. i let mine get to the right tempriture first but remeber if you are doing a lot of mugs it will be hot after the first mug anyway so id get used to using it from hot
brett

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:08 PM
please try to heat up your press up to 185 - 190C then place your mug in press. set timer for 180sec. medium preasure ;)
hope this help

Paul

John G
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Steve,
I always leave a blank mug in the press clamped shut, when I want to print I switch it on and wait till it gets to the correct temp. In the meantime you can warm a mug with a heater, especially the handle and base area, as said above - these area's absorb heat, and get your subli image taped onto the mug. Tape you paper as tight as you can then when your press gets to temp take out the blank mug and replace it with the mug you want to print.

I set my press to 160C for 180 seconds using xpres paper and a Ricoh 5050n printer. A good test would be a black solid print, or solid black text, as when its been in to long, or the temp is too high, it goes light or kind of orangy/burnt black.

I made my own size template then I fit any artwork into this - had to do this after a few failed attempts at full mug wraps. Basically a cheap ebay press isn't go to give you top to bottom prints and right up to the handle. Find out your press limitations and adjust your template to fit.

Cheers John

steve dee
05-01-2010, 09:29 PM
hi john,thanks for your help,i tried doing a mug with just black text with a black square border round it,but had the same problem,i might have to just make my template abit smaller ?,also i got a halloween template to mess with off "paul from on here" & his image looks more blue on here but when i printed it on 5050n it looks more purple ?,i dont know if this is meant to be like this ?.

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:44 PM
guys :) therre is no problem with cheap press from ebay here :)
this is blanket problem. how many of you actualy asked seller whats the size of the blanket is in this press? any one? there is no good enough if seller says "11oz mugs fit perfectly" as its not good for us. if you want nice full wrap from top to the bottom you need blanket about 1cm longer on each side when mug is placed in the press.

hi john,thanks for your help,i tried doing a mug with just black text with a black square border round it,but had the same problem,i might have to just make my template abit smaller ?,also i got a halloween template to mess with off "paul from on here" & his image looks more blue on here but when i printed it on 5050n it looks more purple ?,i dont know if this is meant to be like this ?.

dont doo smaller :) this is the shortcut :) do it properly. no via shortcuts...
give it more presure.
sometimes problems with colors r made by icc profile not used corretly and sometimes by wrong times and temps.
if your blue look purple try to heat your press bit more about 10C and lower time down about 10sec. this is trial and error play so lets go and do some mugs :)

Justin
05-01-2010, 09:50 PM
What software are you using to print with? (Forgive me if you've already said, I'm whipping through posts tonight!)

Have you followed any setup guide for the profile/software?

steve dee
05-01-2010, 10:15 PM
i just installed the stuff that came with the printer which was ricoh 7000 v1.15 icc profile installation & the normal install disc.im only using sign blazer elements & just extended my version of coreldraw x4 for an extra 15 days (untill it runs out).ill have to buy some more software.

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:20 PM
You need the profile for the 5050. You can download it from the Sawgrass website. PM me if you can't find it and I can email to you.

Never used Sign Blazer myself. Does this use icc profiles? I use CorelDraw 14 and have it set up for sublimation. make sure your printer is set to manual in properties....colour managment and the 5050 profile is the only one listed below.

You need to have colour management set up in Corel to use the profile. Again I can forward the instructions to you.
You also need to make sure when you print that everything is set up properly. This is in the 5050 sublimation handbook.

Remind me where your printer and inks came from ?

steve dee
05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
thank justin,i got the printer & inks from ebay as a set,got ripped off but hey.ill try do the icc ive just got from sawgrass.thanks

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:33 PM
No worries, give me a shout to see how it's going. You should have got instructions and icc profile with it, very poor service if you didn't. Was it a company or private seller?

steve dee
05-01-2010, 11:12 PM
it was a comapany called signal inkjet supplies.

edgar
23-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi, I've been reading the bits & bobs on the Ricoh printers with interest as a trained Ricoh tech. I would like to point out that I haven't been trained & have no intention of being trained on gel/ink based Ricoh printers so my 1st hand knowledge of these products is zero. I still see a lot of Ricoh products but my company have moved onto Konica Minolta in the past couple of years. I do have access to manuals, modification & technical bulletins on them, so if anyone feels the desire to have a service manual i can get you one in pdf format. Small Ricoh products (& compared to some of the almost 20 foot machines i look at these are small) can be tricky to work on & a magnetic screwdriver plus a magnetic pick up tool should be a must for when the screws fall out!!!. Having read some of the 113 pages of tech bulletins there seems to be a lot of firmware updates & air blockage issues. It seems that leaving the printer for long periods between use, machines that have had high usage, little usage & have been used in a low humidity environment are most likely to give problems mainly with lines, scuffs & service errors. It seems that if you get a service error which is a code beginning SC then you leave the printer switched ON for 72, yes 72 hours then switch off & back on again. Not good if you are in a rush. My advise is to wait for the GXe 5050dn (pressuming sawgrass are going to make sublijet cartridges for it)which is the replacement model as a lot of the issues will have been ironed out. That said, I guarantee their will be issues with those printers too but when compared to problems I've had with Epson printers I would give the new generation machine a whirl once it's been out a couple of months. Most of the problems are picked up in Japan where the products hit the market sometimes years before they arrive here & are usually well factory modified by the time you will see one.