PDA

View Full Version : Effective Flyers?

totallypersonal
14-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi guys,

I have decided that I am going to get some flyers printed to advertise my business in the local area. Do you have any tips for flyer distributing? I will be going door-to-door.

Also, is it best to have prices on the flyer, or just have your product range on them?

I am going to be getting around 2000 printed, so any recommendations will be great!

Thanks,

Rob :)

John G
14-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Check your spelling, grammar and layout, then give it to someone else to check - a fresh set of eyes always picks something up.

Do you have any tips for flyer distributing? I will be going door-to-door.
Wrap up well - its getting cold out there now :wink:

Paul
14-09-2011, 09:52 PM
|I would sugest nice, clean photographs of printed item. I also would put my prices on so potential customers can see if they like it or not. also dont forget loads peopl if cant see the price they dont bother to check onweb site. if all is black on white then is more likely they will buy something.

smitch6
14-09-2011, 11:00 PM
1 thing i always rem about leaflet dropping NEVER put them thru letter boxes when the paper or mail is on the mat
ppl just pick them all up and throw the adverts away
the best time to post is eve times when the mat is clear and all that will be there is your leaflet :)

good luck it's soul destroying but worth it when orders come in

Justin
14-09-2011, 11:03 PM
I remember reading that flyers have a 4% success rate, not good at all. That said, I've tried several methods myself that aren't supposed to be very good and got good results....flyers are one that I intend to try soon so wlil be useful to watch this thread! ;-)

John G
14-09-2011, 11:17 PM
If you get 4 jobs out of every 100 leaflets dropped - i'd say that was a success. Those 4 people are now your customers and if they receive good service they'll tell their friends who'll become your customers. Leaflet drops are always worth doing - even if it just gets your name out and about.

Renniwano
15-09-2011, 02:06 AM
I have a local newsagents who are prepared to put my flyers into the papers.. if I gain four jobs in every hundred.. that's four jobs that eventually through word of mouth will continue to spread the news.. maybe I am looking at that all wrong lol

John G
15-09-2011, 10:53 AM
maybe I am looking at that all wrong lol
No you are spot on - for the price of a flyer its worth doing.

totallypersonal
15-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't want to put flyers inside papers though, as they will be with other flyers, and will have even less chance of being read..

Martinx
15-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Is there a local/business publication that circulates in the area? Maybe place an advert. Also hit doctors surgeries and dentists.

purpledragon
15-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Theres a guy in oour town who's buuisness is delivering flyers and leaflets , £12 per thousand . i had a couple of thousand delivered when i opened my shop with a money off with the leaflet offer. Havnt had one back yet:(

bms
15-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Theres a guy in oour town who's buuisness is delivering flyers and leaflets , £12 per thousand . i had a couple of thousand delivered when i opened my shop with a money off with the leaflet offer. Havnt had one back yet:(

I had a guy from your neck of the woods offer me 2000 printed flyers with your details printed on them. Took the lot!! Wonder why you didn't get any calls...:confused::biggrin:

smitch6
15-09-2011, 11:08 PM
i used to know someone who delivered leaflets s a business
he used to get 1000 for instance
deliver 1/2 and bin the rest

never trust anyone to do the leg work always do it yourself that way you know they are out
or get someone whom you know and trust

purpledragon
16-09-2011, 01:05 AM
I had a guy from your neck of the woods offer me 2000 printed flyers with your details printed on them. Took the lot!! Wonder why you didn't get any calls...:confused::biggrin:
waddya mean? you're my biggest customer for mugs but adding another zero to the 10% 0ff bit was a bit low woulda worked if you didnt use crayon

purpledragon
16-09-2011, 01:10 AM
i used to know someone who delivered leaflets s a business
he used to get 1000 for instance
deliver 1/2 and bin the rest

never trust anyone to do the leg work always do it yourself that way you know they are out
or get someone whom you know and trust
this guy delivers for lidals,morrison and few more down here also its a small area he`d soon get found out and word of mouth can be bad as well as good. he wouldnt be in buisness long if he tried that

totallypersonal
18-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,

I have been working on this flyer design, and would like some opinions.

I will be doing the reverse side of the flyer soon, including the full product range.

Here is the front:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/2479/leafletz.jpg

smitch6
19-09-2011, 07:57 AM
sorry to sound negative but it looks plain
you need something visually stimulating that will make you want to read the leaflet

Lee
19-09-2011, 08:05 AM
I think its looks pretty good, the front design would make me want to flip it over......less is more I reckon cos personally if a leaflet drops threw my door that is covered n loads of small writing I dont see any of it....at least if its big with a simple message I might read a bit on its way to the bin...!

NASH
19-09-2011, 10:23 AM
i agree with TPM, but is it not possible to have a few more products on the front?

mrs maggot
19-09-2011, 10:38 AM
one of the best flyers i have ever had through the door was almost identical back and front, big bold, some upsidedown, i think their idea was whatever side you saw of it - the impression would be the same, if its too wordy on the back, but its the back you see first, your initial impact of the front is lost, unless you put it in someones hand you have no control over which side they get to see first, so dont think of it as a front and back think of it as a flyer - one sided might be just as effective - and cheaper, if its good people will pin it up on their wall board, so if its fun & factual you stand a better chance of it not being binned

totallypersonal
19-09-2011, 08:18 PM
I have included six products on the back side of the flyer. Thanks for your opinions so far!

My intention was always to make the front as simple as possible, then the back has product info.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6403/backfinal.png

John G
19-09-2011, 11:33 PM
It looks very crowded, I was always taught, when designing, that it's best to focus on one product than several as the viewer/reader soon loses interest - fast.

A few points:
I cannot see any phone number anywhere - your narrowing your market without one.
I also cannot see an address.

The grammar:
The 1st page needs redoing - you cannot start a sentence with "At".
There is a comma after the mats, don't think that should be there.

Layout:
Everything is aligned centrally except the logo - I think it would look better central than aligned to the left.
There's no white space and it looks a little dark.

The above is just my opinion, i'm not trying to pick faults, just trying to help - we all do things differently.

SciArtImages
20-09-2011, 03:27 AM
As John said, we all do things differently and different things 'annoy' us!
For me:
1. I would put pictures of items you have actually printed to show how good you are (unless 'your photo here' is a favourite family bear nickname!).
2. If you are distributing these locally then say that you are actually in Townsville or wherever.
3. The thing that 'got' me most - too many fonts. I reckon at most 2 different fonts in a single document, preferably just one - you can always change them with size, bold, italic, underscore, shadow. I also see the numbers in the prices are at different sizes - the 4 is smaller, the 8 is mis-aligned. Probably just the font. The font you use for the main text (with the really high tails) says to me 'trying too hard to be different'.
As I said, purely my opinions, and if I got it through the door I would read it, but just giving honest feedback.

Neil.

pitkin2020
22-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Flyers are very hit and miss and like someone mentioned earlier the success rate is around 4%. Flyers have to have impact, if they don't grab the attention straight away they will be binned they also have to have a reason to act upon it now and not put them in a drawer to be forgotten about!!
A couple of points, both sides have to grab attention (it could land either way up on the mat) and on both sides you have your business name at the top. Whilst the name is important to you its not to the reader, they just want to know what the leaflet is for, name and contact details would be far better at the bottom. What you do, what you offer then who you are is a good order of importance. Personalised photo gifts would be better at the top and make it stand out more as it currently has no impact. Followed by products that can be bought then who you are and how they get in touch.
As others have mentioned you need more contact details a phone number is a must and a trading area atleast (address would be better).

As mentioned above you need the reader to ACT NOW when reading the flyer, currently it would get put in the drawer and probably forgotten about. Something like a free gift for all orders in X month/Free P&P during x month or similar. Also your 10% offer needs an expiry date, I would also change the code aswell and make it more specific to this leaflet run so you can monitor this leaflet runs success/fail rate.

printchesco
24-02-2012, 06:18 AM
The entire design is a bit off from the content to the color and to the layout. Nothing seems to be tying the products together aside from the fact that they are all being offered by you and the color doesn't do much good in making anything stand out. As for the layout, it looks too grid-like and blocky, making the flyers seem boring.

Lee
24-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, Im going against the grain - I think its a well put together professional looking flyer - I do agree with a phone number or locality though....but I'd be happy to use and receive it!!!!!!

Ian M
24-02-2012, 08:11 PM
The entire design is a bit off from the content to the color and to the layout. Nothing seems to be tying the products together aside from the fact that they are all being offered by you and the color doesn't do much good in making anything stand out. As for the layout, it looks too grid-like and blocky, making the flyers seem boring.

What sells in the USA doesn't always sell well in the UK. Now was the last time I saw a Cadillac in the UK? :rolleyes:

bms
24-02-2012, 09:49 PM
I have included six products on the back side of the flyer. Thanks for your opinions so far!

My intention was always to make the front as simple as possible, then the back has product info.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6403/backfinal.png

Whatever you decide to do with photos, I'd recommend you take them yourself or get permission from the source of them that you can use such images in your advertising. Whilst it may be flattering to see images being used, err on the safe side and get permission.

totallypersonal
24-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Whatever you decide to do with photos, I'd recommend you take them yourself or get permission from the source of them that you can use such images in your advertising. Whilst it may be flattering to see images being used, err on the safe side and get permission.

Sorry, I thought that as I was using you as a supplier, that it would be okay to use the photos provided, to help sell the items. If that is not the case then I apologise.

Update: This thread is five months old now, and I have the flyers all printed and have handed some out and included with previous orders. I can say that they haven't been very successful in terms of extra orders, so I won't be using flyers again very soon!

John G
24-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Unlucky - it's always worth a try though.
Sometimes you cannot gauge the response, as it could come many months later - they could be stuck to someone's fridge for future use!

Cheers John

Lee
24-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I have the flyers all printed and have handed some out and included with previous orders. I can say that they haven't been very successful in terms of extra orders, so I won't be using flyers again very soon!

Have you had a few thousand distributed once or twice through letter boxes? I always think flyers have to be used in conjunction with other advertising - for example, do you have a well read local guide that you can advertise in as well? That way, people will start to remember, subconsciously sometimes!

totallypersonal
24-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Unlucky - it's always worth a try though.
Sometimes you cannot gauge the response, as it could come many months later - they could be stuck to someone's fridge for future use!

Cheers John

Yeah definitely. To be fair though, I haven't gone door to door. I have only just inserted them with all orders from eBay, so perhaps I should stop being lazy and get the other few thousand out :P

Lee
24-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Do you have a local newsagents? Mine will include them in the paper for approx £20 per 1000............

John G
24-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Your defeating the object giving them to people who have already bought off you (IMO) - that kind of info could easily be printed on the back of the invoices you include with the sale.

Get your flyers out there, leave a pile at the library, at a local mechanics waiting room, community centres, post offices, local shop - anywhere where people go, walk or wait - then go door to door.

Cheers John

totallypersonal
24-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Do you have a local newsagents? Mine will include them in the paper for approx £20 per 1000............

That is definitely worth a look, I will check that out this week. Thanks

totallypersonal
24-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Your defeating the object giving them to people who have already bought off you (IMO) - that kind of info could easily be printed on the back of the invoices you include with the sale.

Get your flyers out there, leave a pile at the library, at a local mechanics waiting room, community centres, post offices, local shop - anywhere where people go, walk or wait - then go door to door.

Cheers John

It's just to try and get them onto the website after their eBay purchase, to avoid eBay fees etc. I will definitely have to get them out there more now though, so thanks for the advice John.

Cheers Rob

Martinx
25-02-2012, 12:26 AM
It's all about social media now! I believe flyers will always have a place if you offer an incentive.
Facebook all the way

bms
25-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry, I thought that as I was using you as a supplier, that it would be okay to use the photos provided, to help sell the items. If that is not the case then I apologise.

Update: This thread is five months old now, and I have the flyers all printed and have handed some out and included with previous orders. I can say that they haven't been very successful in terms of extra orders, so I won't be using flyers again very soon!
It's not usually a problem and the reply wasn't a dig because I noticed an image from our site, but the general principle would be to ask, get permission and then you know you're okay to use them in your advertising.

Timothy
24-12-2012, 02:09 PM
No doubt flyers/brochure are best technique to advertise your business. So there are many ways to distribute them, like door to door, distribute at shopping centres, or around colleges/universies.

Stitch Up
27-12-2012, 12:40 PM
I'd only give a flyer to those who ask for one. Personally, I find the products advertised totally boring! But then I am a miserable old sod :)