PDA

View Full Version : Why is my blue a dull purple?

Robert
05-01-2010, 06:53 PM
I just printed my first mug. It was a simple Blue logo, along with some blue text - similar to the blue at the very top portion of the gradient in the header of this page. However, when it came out, it was a very dull purple. I printed onto the bright white side of the paper. I assumed it would look different after sublimation. However, it came out on the mug identical.
I cooked it for 150 seconds at 180 celcius. I did have it on for 180 seconds, but after 150 the paper was yellowing, and being a newbie, thought it was going to catch fire.
I haven't printed any other colours, but I assume they are the same.

Please advise.

Robert
05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention:
Printer Epson D120
Inks: ArTanium

purpledragon
05-01-2010, 07:22 PM
did you convert the image to the correct profile or have you dragged an image onto a template which is the correct profile .... does that make sense?

Robert
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
The image was already created in Photoshop. I printed from PSD, and haven't changed any profile in photoshop. I did follow all the settings from the printer side though.
How do I convert the image to the correct profile?

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
you need to have correct ICC profile instaled on your computer. when printing you need to chose this profile to let your printer know whats going on :)
this may happen when doubl profile is on. so switch off color managment (ICM) in printer driver.
why your paper when yellow? did you cut exces paper off? you need to do that otherways may catch some fire :)

hope it make sense

Paul

Robert
05-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks Paul. I didn't cut excess off so thanks for letting me know.
With regards to colour profile, I did install ICC profile, but I just noticed that I had in photoshop colour handling by printer. I've just changed this to colour management by photoshop and changed printer profile to ArTanium. Does this sound right?

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
yep it does ;) just right mate! but make sure after press "print" go to printer settings and make sure there is ICM thicked :) press mug again and let us know.

Paul

Robert
05-01-2010, 08:18 PM
One other Q, should I run the press up to temp before putting mug in? or is the 180 seconds or so including warm up?

Stitch Up
05-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Warm up to temperature before putting the mug in

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
yep. as stich up said. warm it up up to 180c then stick your mug in.

Robert
05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
OK, just printed my second mug - this time I was just printing black and white. Looked fine on paper.
Here's the result
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/img_3811.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=4&u=14693864)

It's all streaky green, and as for the bottom edge, very dissapointing. The bottom edge of the mug has a curve in it.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Robert
05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Also, by the handle, rather than a solid line, the black has faded out to a brown.
Right round the mug are streaks from top to bottom, stemming from the streaks you can see clearly at the bottom. This doesn't show very well in pic.

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:55 PM
preasure :) what about that? do it with heavy preasure. do you stick your designes to the mug with heat tape?

edit: sorry. just noticed the tape ;)

edit 2:
make sure your mug is in the middle of the blanket. not on the edge. as there my be cold places so your prints will be out of colors...

Robert
05-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Yes, stuck with heat tape. I thought it may be pressure, but I thought it was already quite a lot of pressure. Will try another now, and this time with a gap at top and bottom.

edit:

OK, before anyone comments on it, yes I do have a typo - Stong, rather than Strong. But hey, I'm just testing the kit and not concentrating on the design

Paul
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
try this same. so we know the diference :) try heavy preasure. but dont break the mug ;)
http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png

If this time will go wrong I will tell you trick whitch should help you ;)

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
OK, it's in the press as I type. Will take pic shortly and post

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Thought I was going to break the mug though, so maybe too much pressure now. :(

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM
OK, it's an improvement. Top half looks alright, but lower black strip still has the green streaking
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/img_3812.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=14693864)

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:20 PM
The pressure felt like it was going to break the mug - surely I shouldn't be applying even more pressure???

John G
05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Reduce your artwork by about 10mm, top and bottom, and stay away from the handle - some presses just won't do full wraps. If your mugs are cold, or cool, warm them with a heater before pressing.

Cheers John

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks John - oh, and here's your review of the £70 press :lol:

John G
05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Could it be that at the top of the mug the blanket is too tight and the bottom of the mug there's a little bit of slack

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:27 PM
When the press is open, it does appear this way

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Reduce your artwork by about 10mm, top and bottom, and stay away from the handle - some presses just won't do full wraps. If your mugs are cold, or cool, warm them with a heater before pressing.

Cheers John
it will... :P

Robert. go on and waste another mug :) but this time after time gone (180sec) turn mug arround :) and give it another 45sec maybe 1min ;) try it :) should be better.

btw... can't see the pointwith warming them up. why? what this will give you? well... it will if you heat it up up to 100c or more but who going to handle this mug to stick the artwork on it?? :P

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Is there any way to adjust this - could it be that the mug wasn't centred??

John G
05-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Thats what I've been trying to say - if there a twist in any way on the blanket there's no way your going to get even pressure.

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:31 PM
place mug to the mug and you should see how stright they r. if they ok. there should't be any gap betwen them.

John G
05-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Paul,
Read my post - the base and handle are the thickest parts of the mug so if your mugs are very cold - like mine, in my unit - as soon as you put the mug in the press the temp would drop fast, really fast, and you wouldn't get the correct temp for the time given. This would mean the ink nearest the cold parts, the base and handle, wouldn't be sublimating properly due to differences in temp.

Thats why I warm my mugs - to get an even heat across the mug.

Who said warm the mugs to 100C - now that would be daft.

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Mugs are crap, gaps all around them. Thanks BMS! Would dread to see what they were like before!
"Our European Mugs have just got even better. Still the same bright white, RN Coating, but now even straighter sides. "

Have I been sent the old ones??

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
dont get me wrong John! I did not wanted sound daft and upset you.

I fully understand what u r saing but in my case when mugs r cold and temperature drop after stick them in to the press I set my press for 220sec. no 180sec and this is ok for me with out warming mugs up.

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Are the vapours given off dangerous? I'm in quite a small office with no ventilation and starting to get a headache

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Mugs are crap, gaps all around them. Thanks BMS! Would dread to see what they were like before!
"Our European Mugs have just got even better. Still the same bright white, RN Coating, but now even straighter sides. "

Have I been sent the old ones??
I know the fealing mate! but I think is still to early to blame the mugs. henestly... when you get this all right you will lough.

Justin
05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
I did a run of solid black mugs similar to this recently and had the same problem. As already indicated it can be down to insufficient pressure. Do you have the paper cut to the exact height of the mug or does it overlap top and bottom by a few mm?
How close are you trying to get to the handle? Sounds like you need to make the width of the print a wee bit smaller.
Black can go brown if overheated as well but I think pressure is your culprit. When i got my latest press I had to increase the pressure a considerable way past what i thought was comfortable for not breaking a mug!

Robert
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks Justin. If you look at the photo with the two mugs in, the first one, the blacks were green. The second one, the base was brown - I think I saw your post on this.

I've reduced the height and width of design on second one, and edges by handle are sharp on one side, it's just the bottom now I guess.

Paul - I guess the higher pressure will compensate for uneveness
John, pressure will even out any slight twist - surely?

So, to summarise, what does everyone recommend for my 4th mug?

Paul
05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
do it sas you do it now but after pressing tur it arround in the press. and give it another 45sec up to 1min. try it. if no luck I own you a mug :)

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I was about to ask which mugs you were using. I ran an extensive test on mugs a couple of years back. I contacted every UK supplier I could find and requested a sample. Most responded.
I ran full wrap tests etc. and came to the conclusion that nothing could compare to Lisatwood mugs. So we bought by the pallet. Never had an issue with them at all. OK, that's been said........Great mugs but the service I received from LW has been poor. They gave me an astronimical price for delivery, when questioned it fell to a decent level. now I want to place another order it's shot back up again. Theyr'e not interested in me because at this stage i only buy a few boxes at a time. (Shame they don't know what's around the corner for me this year!)
So now I'm looking at changing to BMS. The mugs aren't as straight but they're better packaked and all test thus far have been perfect.
Not the first time LW have let me down on service, it cost me a full Rotech CIS last time....will I ever learn?

Sorry to digress but I felt it worth putting in at this stage.

My problem was solved by much higher pressure. My press is height adjustable for the mug position so I wound it up a little. Brought the temp. down a little. I now do 185c for 185 secs.

Robert
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I've increased the pressure - should I decrease it and just rotate the mug?

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:16 PM
I never rotate the mug. The press gets within a couple of cm's of the handle which is fine for me. This increases your turnaround time considerably. Fine when you'e doing 1 or 2 mugs but wait until you get 36.....or 500 as I did last year. you'll just want them done asap!

Paul
05-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I've increased the pressure - should I decrease it and just rotate the mug?
do it same preasure as you have done your last mug. but this time rotate it.

Robert
05-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry Paul - Justins right. If the solution is to rotate it, then the press is no good to me. I just haven't the time for that. But, I think I've cracked it. Just printed a photo mug, will take pic shortly and post. I increased pressure and gave it another 15 sec

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice one Robert, show us pics!

Robert
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/img_3813.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=6&u=14693864)

Here it is! Although the colours are a bit too deep now - how do I correct this?

Robert
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
That's me on the left and my wife on the right with two (of my three) children at my sisters wedding :)

Justin
05-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Somethin else to check, not sure if it's been mentioned here. The paper has to be tight against the mug. A slight gap and the paper is creased, this can give the flame effect problem.

This pic looks fine. Just check the detail is ok in the dark areas, it may be my screen but it looks a wee bit solid on the hair?

Now go get a full wrap mug sussed! Lovely children btw! you handsome devil you ;-)

Paul
05-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Sorry Paul - Justins right. If the solution is to rotate it, then the press is no good to me. I just haven't the time for that. But, I think I've cracked it. Just printed a photo mug, will take pic shortly and post. I increased pressure and gave it another 15 sec
no problem mate! rotating is last resort.

well done mug. lovely mug and familly ;)
colors r fine for me.

steve dee
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
hi guys me again !!,this is what mine look like round the bottom & places around the top of the mug also up the sides of the handle.

Robert
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
The colours are too dark for my liking, although not on the original print. The hair detail is better that it is on the photo I posted but overall, could do with a little less contrast and a little lighter. How do I achieve this? Would this be done by reducing the time - I did leave this one on for 15-20secs longer as well as bumping up the pressure.

BTW, thanks for all the help guys and gals, it's a really good atmosphere on this forum, well done DSF http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_sunny.png

Robert
05-01-2010, 11:51 PM
How does one add an image to the right of their posts BTW?

Justin
05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Take a ,look in your profile for the 'Avatar' tab. You can choose from the extensive library or upload your own.

Give me a shout if you have any problems

Justin :-)

Robert
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks justin. I did look in profile, but didn't see all of those tabs along the top.

Nice one

Justin
06-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Sorted, good one as well!

Robert
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks Justin - not trading yet - got to earn my stars first, but nicer than a blank space :)

John G
06-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Well done Rob - looks excellent. What was the final settings for time, temp and pressure?

Robert
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Time - 195 sec
Pressure - quite a bit
Temp - 180 C

How do I reduce the darkness of the colours? Do I reduce the time?

Paul
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
yes. in most cases it will be time.

John G
06-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info Robert / Paul - I'm happy with the way I do mugs but have stayed away from full wraps thinking it was the presses downfall. Maybe its time to start experimenting a little. :D

Cheers John

Robert
06-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I thought I would show how my 5th mug turned out. I did this one at the same pressure and temp, but took the time down to 180 sec
It's not a full wrap, just image one side, text the other - and I just realised tonight that this is the same image that tesco use - although they have switched to a winter theme of the family - I purchased the image from istockphoto.com. Just to set that clear, having had somewhat of a debate over copyright in other posts :)
http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/img1a11.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=8&u=14693864) http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/img_3910.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=9&u=14693864)

Justin
06-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Can be difficult to re-produce this type of image sometimes. The sky dissapears if you don't get the contrast just right.

I was in "A" Supermarket recently and they had their range of sublimated products. Quality was very poor, they should have been ashamed :cry:

Paul
06-01-2010, 11:52 PM
lol! i saw it too :) it look crap! but i bed they more busy then we r ;)

btw... nice mug Rob!

Robert
06-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I used it as it was the first decent one on page 1 when I searched for family. It was only after I purchased it, and used it that I realised that Tesco did also :)
I't just for a demo mug, so it'll do ;)

Robert
06-01-2010, 11:58 PM
The sky dissapears if you don't get the contrast just right.
All you need is photoshop, and you can remove the sky completely and throw in a blue to white gradient. This will ensure it is spot on :)
Either that, or you could put on a layer mask, then gradient, and this will ensure that it fades out to white.
No need to mess with the contrast this way as it would affect the rest of the image.