PDA

View Full Version : good place for graphics

ptholt
27-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Where is a good place to get graphics/vectors from for a newbie startup?I have looked on fleabay and see many vector dvds for sale varying in size and price, not sure if this is a reasonable starting point or if i just surf around looking for suitable gfx..any advise?

pitkin2020
27-09-2011, 12:09 PM
99% of the vector DVDs that are on ebay are basically copyrighted material i.e company logos etc that you shouldn't be using without permission anyway. If you decide your going to use them then you can get them for free yourself from places like brand of the world etc. Your just paying someone for the convenience of having them all on disk. There are obviously some royalty/license free packages on ebay but beware of what you are actually purchasing and what the proper usage rights are as a few sellers will just tell you what you want to hear.

If you google free vectors there are dozens of sites offering plenty of stuff for free but there are also plenty of sites offering paid vectors including the likes of shutterstock etc.

Paul
27-09-2011, 12:50 PM
also on ebay you can get some descent graphics. like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIPART-DESIGN-CD-VINYL-CUTTER-PLOTTER-GRAPHICS-VECTOR-CLIP-ART-IMAGES-/370546222485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564646a595#ht_5528wt_1139
and you can use them :)

pitkin2020
27-09-2011, 12:56 PM
also on ebay you can get some descent graphics. like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLIPART-DESIGN-CD-VINYL-CUTTER-PLOTTER-GRAPHICS-VECTOR-CLIP-ART-IMAGES-/370546222485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564646a595#ht_5528wt_1139
and you can use them :)

those aren't too bad and its good to have a selection of stuff ready to cut but you can get most of that yourself for free by browsing the free sites and picking what you want. It is far easier though just to buy the disk and have it there to go.

Paul
27-09-2011, 01:05 PM
... and more legal :) as you can keep reciept with your disc. if you download them and somonwll qustion you then you in crap.

pitkin2020
27-09-2011, 01:52 PM
... and more legal :) as you can keep reciept with your disc. if you download them and somonwll qustion you then you in crap.

LOL so having a receipt will protect you, I don't think so ignorance isn't a very good defence. Just because you have receipt for it doesn't mean anything other than you bought the disk. There may still be images on the disk that are copyrighted and if a company decides to sue you for using their image the receipt won't help you in the slightest with that case. If the receipt states the ebay seller has full rights for usage and you as the purchaser has full rights then you would have a good case to sue the ebay seller to recoup your costs.

I'm not saying by downloading them from vector sites etc is any safer/dangerous but its up to you to ensure you have the legal right to use the image no one else.

BTW i'm sure we have all used protected images in the past at some time or another and whether you (or I) choose to use them or not is down to personal choice i'm not saying don't use them but if you do use them then don't try to hide behind ignorance as a defence as its up to you to ensure you have the correct rights for any image you use.

Paul
27-09-2011, 02:07 PM
I am not saing that reciept protect you. I said it will if you buy oryginal disk.

pitkin2020
27-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I am not saing that reciept protect you. I said it will if you buy oryginal disk.

agreed if you buy from the original creator or a proper distributor, trouble is though with ebay sales though there are far too many sellers making out they are the creators or they have the rights to distribute it when they don't. 9/10 times you won't really know until you have a problem.

Like this advert, it advertises it as "IDEAL FOR GRAPHIC DESIGNERS, PRINTERS Etc." when in reality 99% of the logos on that disk are copyrighted so you can't (well shouldn't) use them without permission http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOGO-CLIPART-VINYL-CUTTER-PLOTTER-VECTOR-IMAGE-DVD-/230676494824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35b563f9e8#ht_921wt_1185. There are obviously more on ebay offering the same sort of files which you can obtain for free from places like brands of the world.

Paul
27-09-2011, 07:29 PM
ohh yes :) but i am not talking about brand and companys logos on the disc. this is simply scam if you ask me. whats the point to sell them if you can not use them?? :)
aklso you can get them all for free from brandsoftheworld web site.
but link I posted is worth to look at.