PDA

View Full Version : Should the colours be THAT different from a Ricoh GXE3300?

Fidget242
29-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi guys,

Feeling a bit disappointed in the new GXE3300 we just bought from BMS, I'm not sure if I'm just being over critical or if I'm just missing something. But I printed a hot pink design on my Epson 1400 with Artainium profile and then I printed the same design with the Ricoh using the powerdriver option from the same program (photoshop CS5) and the colours are nothing like each other, infact - the ricoh is actually PURPLE not hot pink. (and yes it's still a purple shade when pressed too).

Overall the Ricoh colours seem way off to me, the pinks are purple and the greens have a blue-ish tint. If I print something blue it's quite close to artainium but still darker, or maybe just more dull. Is there a way to turn the blue down or the pink up? I also tried printing from word incase it was a photoshop setting or something messing it up but no - same result.

Just to clarify a little, the epson 1400 using artainium is printing spot on, colours are perfect, so it isn't that the epson is wrong, it is definitely the Ricoh. Also I am printing using the powerdriver option in the printer list - not the ricoh option itself, and it doesn't seem to matter if I choose intense or realistic - it's still purple but different shades, lol. I even reset all the settings and profile information etc in Photoshop as a last resort but still purple pinks and blue greens.

Feeling a little downhearted to say the least, all the rave reviews and positive press this printer gets leads me to thinking I'm doing something wrong or missing something - I just wish I could find out what it was :(

John G
29-09-2011, 11:30 AM
In Coraldraw you need to take Coral back to factory settings, I think - this could be the same in Photoshop. Best off ringing Martin at BMS, i'm sure he'll put you right.

Fidget242
29-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Cheers John I've tried that already, I just made an odd discovery a few minutes ago though - if I print the images without the powerdriver (just using the GelSprinter option in the printer list) the image prints much better! It's a lot closer to the Artainium colours that's for sure, lol.

The pinks are still not perfect but they're towards the red more than the blue which looks far better, the greens are practically spot on although yellow is also a tad green. I'm currently tinkering with the Ricoh's built in colour adjustment options to try and get it closer.

It seems strange to me that it works better without the colour profile than actually with it though, why should that be?

teknokat
29-09-2011, 09:27 PM
If you are using photoshop make sure you download the pdf tutorials from the sawgrass website to setup the powerdriver correctly and make sure rendering intent is set to perceptual, output intent set to realistic and color sure is not checked. I've printed some very pink mouse mats and the colours have been identical to the screen image by following the setup guides from the sawgrass website. If you've not already got the pdf's it might be worth a look to help you with your colour problems.

John G
29-09-2011, 10:01 PM
We've had a few ricoh owners on the forum with similar problems and it seems to boil down to installation, either powerdriver or profiles.

AJLA
06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Have you sorted your colours Fidget202?

Fidget242
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Nope not yet, haven't really had time to play around with it yet. Have you configured yours ok to match Martins print out yet?

Ian Mc
07-10-2011, 03:38 PM
For my two pence worth, may I suggest downloading and configuring the profiles from Sawgrass' website?
http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/sublijet-r/power-drivers-icc-profiles

Once properly installed and set up, you should hopefully get much closer to the 1400 (although you shouldn't expect a perfect match). The PowerDriver's in built profiles are written over in the U.S, while the standalone ICC Profile for the Ricoh is actually written by the same team that writes the ArTainium profiles - meaning more likelihood of a match. This is probably how Martin will have suggested to set up, too, I would imagine.

Set up documents for the profile can be found at: http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/sublijet-r/support-documents/icc-profile/windows/gxe3300n
Lastly, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

AJLA
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi Ian, i'm really confusing myself, I thought the color management in Corel was supposed to be set at default.

Also I can't even choose the Ricoh option in step 2, it does say it may not be installed etc but it there.:frown:

Ian Mc
10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Mandy,

It depends on the version of CorelDraw, and which method you are using to colour correct. If PowerDriver, you should have Colour Management Off. I believe this situation differs in Corel X5, though. When using the profile, the reverse is true - Colour Management needs to be enabled, and set up to apply the profile at point of print.

Over your second issue - It does sound like the profile hasn't installed. You've downloaded the set up file from the website, I presume? If so, have you restarted your computer / CorelDraw in the meantime? This can make a difference in whether you can see and select the profile.

If you need a hand, send me a PM with your telephone number and I'll be happy to help.

AJLA
10-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Ian, i'm using Corel draw 12 and currently have colour management turned to off although i have tried the default settings button, i've unistalled and reinstalled the power driver and have gone throught as per sawgrass instructions and restarted pc, I can see the power driver in my program files

Ian Mc
10-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi Mandy! Okay, so Colour Management off is fine - is it just the case that PowerDriver doesn't show up in the list of printers?

If not, does it also not show up in your Printers folder?

AJLA
10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
It's in the printers folder selected as default printer

Ian Mc
10-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Ah...! Then you've snookered me. :confused:
So you can see it under the Printers folder, but not when printing from CorelDraw? How about other packages?

AJLA
10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Yup it's in the printers folder the only place i can't see it is when I select tools then colour management, in the drop down box you know underneath the printer, as per Fig 1. in the link you posted.

http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/techni...ndows/gxe3300n

AJLA
11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Just a quick note to say that the issue with my printer is now resolved, many thanks for all your help.

John G
11-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Glad you got sorted - what was the fix?

AJLA
11-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi John, i'm no longer using the powerdriver, I am using another profile. I am going to have to make screen shots of all the changes for reference as if anything happened i wouldn't know how to get it back.

edmond1815
14-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi everyone,

I used several Ricoh GelSprinter GX 3300N for mug sublimation.
I used on Windows and Macintosh, in Photoshop CS5 with correct ICC profiles,
Power Driver on Windos, all the correct settings according to sawgrass site.
The red colour looks pink.

On Epson 1400 , same image, correct settings, same heat press, red is red.
Tried with Realistic, Saturated, Intense, etc, red is pink.

Do you have any suggestions? Custom ICC profile?

ColorSure ticked and not ticked …

I used SubliJet - R paper, inks from sawgrass.

Thank you,

@AJLA : What profile did you used?

Edmond

Hi John, i'm no longer using the powerdriver, I am using another profile. I am going to have to make screen shots of all the changes for reference as if anything happened i wouldn't know how to get it back.

Ian Mc
14-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Edmond,

Reds from the Ricoh PowerDrivers are always a bit iffy IMO. I'd suggest sticking to using the profile, in conjunction with the Gelsprinter driver (Do NOT mix the profile with the PowerDriver, as they are entirely seperate colour correction methods and the results will be completely wrong). Now the big question - where did your profile come from..?

Fidget242
14-10-2011, 11:43 AM
I would also live to know what profile you used AJLA? I'm willing to pay if I need to! lol.

edmond1815
14-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Ian,

Thank you for your response.

Actually, i use Mac OS 10.6, Photoshop CS 5.5, profile: Ricoh 3300 rgb v1.02.icm, from sawgrass site, and all correct settings.
These days i installed the printer on Windows, use PowerDriver, Photoshop CS 5.5, settings according to Sawgrass site, already talk with them and
they didn't gave me a solution yet.

In both situations red is pink. Very, very frustrating.

I want to try with different profile, or settings?
Already made more then 50 mugs with different settings, same results with red colour.
Nozzle check it is perfect, Mangenta is Mangenta on test with squares.

Thank you for your time,

Edmond

Hi Edmond,

Reds from the Ricoh PowerDrivers are always a bit iffy IMO. I'd suggest sticking to using the profile, in conjunction with the Gelsprinter driver (Do NOT mix the profile with the PowerDriver, as they are entirely seperate colour correction methods and the results will be completely wrong). Now the big question - where did your profile come from..?