PDA

View Full Version : Notifications/emails subscription?

AdamB
05-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Justin (hope you are well).

I'm not sure if anyone else is having problems but I don't seem to be getting emails/notifications anymore for threads/posts that I am subscribed to and info emails that PM's have been delivered?

I used to get them all the time then they stopped in the last week or so.

I've been into my account/panel and confirmed everything was 'switched on' and even switched everything off, updated then switched them back on again to no avail?

I go to my account and it shows all the posts that I am subscribed to and that 'auto' is switched on to inform me of someone posting but I get nothing??

Any ideas if I should be doing something else?

Many thanks

Adam

Paul
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
i had this same. but after ammount of emails sent from dsf domain my email provider start to class it as a spam :)
but i am here every day now so dont need them any way :)

AdamB
05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
i had this same. but after ammount of emails sent from dsf domain my email provider start to class it as a spam :)
but i am here every day now so dont need them any way :)

They're not going in my spam folder Paul :-( Do you still get an email though when you get a Private Messgage?

I like getting emails :-(

Paul
05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
yes. only with pm's. but this going to my junk box too.

JSR
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
I still get emails for thread notifications and PMs (well the last one was 11pm last night), so they're definitely working.

JackB
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
I like getting emails :-(

If you post your email address I with divert all my spam to you. :biggrin:

AdamB
05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm (just been tinkering) - can someone just reply to this to see if I get an email notification email please.

JSR
05-10-2011, 11:53 AM
What have you tinkered with?

AdamB
05-10-2011, 11:55 AM
What have you tinkered with?

I changed my email address (in my profile settings) to see if it was my email that wasn't accepting DSF emails but still no joy!

Justin
05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll check it through for you but everything should be ok.

AdamB
05-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I'll check it through for you but everything should be ok.

I know Justin - it's very strange?

I haven't got a clue as I haven't changed anything??

If you could look Justin that would be great, and if you see my secret folder in my profile wearing womens underwear they're only there for a customer to see some products I produce (honest).

Now - why did I type the above as I'm bound to get grief now!

Justin
05-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Can't see anything obvious Adam, will try and send you a couple of emails using the same address outside the forum.

AdamB
05-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Can't see anything obvious Adam, will try and send you a couple of emails using the same address outside the forum.

ok Justin thank you :-)

Ian M
06-10-2011, 03:54 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem as Adam.

John G
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't think I get notifications but not bothered really as I ued to delete them straight away anyway.

JSR
06-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm still getting them.

I wonder if you guys share a common domain - like gmail or hotmail, or something. If so, it could be one of their servers being over-zealous and blocking any emails from here for some reason. Some email servers are very hot on accurate SPF records, for instance.

AdamB
06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm still getting them.

I wonder if you guys share a common domain - like gmail or hotmail, or something. If so, it could be one of their servers being over-zealous and blocking any emails from here for some reason. Some email servers are very hot on accurate SPF records, for instance.

can someone just reply back here - I have just changed my email (in the settings) to an AOL one - let's see if this is the problem.

JSR
06-10-2011, 10:27 AM
I thought AOL would be the worst of the bunch!

AdamB
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I thought AOL would be the worst of the bunch!

Well I have tried Yahoo (2 different emails) and AOL and neither none worked :-(

AdamB
06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Just trying another email account - if someone could reply please :-)

JSR
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I use my own domain, which is why that thought occurred to me.

Justin
06-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Sent you 3 test emails from outside the forum last night Adam, did you get them?

AdamB
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Justin - no, never got the emails :-(

I have tried a couple of different email accounts - yahoo and aol, both with no joy. So I just registered with mail.com to see if this works (http://www.mail.com/mail/#.348236-header-nav1-2).

Within two minutes I was getting notifications .......................... not sure why yahoo or aol have suddenly stopped working though??

FAO JSR - Good call mate, I kept trying different yahoo email accounts :-(

JSR
06-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Within two minutes I was getting notifications .......................... not sure why yahoo or aol have suddenly stopped working though??

FAO JSR - Good call mate, I kept trying different yahoo email accounts :-(
I always cringe when a customer signs up with a yahoo, hotmail, AOL, gmail, or similar email address - because I know there's a good chance that they won't receive any emails. Customers (businesses) with their own website, own domain, and personalised email address always do - but the big "generic" suppliers of free email addresses rarely ever do. They're just too over active on assuming everything's spam, and only those emails that they can be 100% certain of are the ones that get through.

Justin
06-10-2011, 11:39 AM
But surely the suspected spam emails go into a spam folder?

AdamB
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM

No Justin - that's the thing, I have spam everyday which goes into the spam folder but the DSF emails have just stopped!

Justin
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Just trying to ascertain if the problem is your end or here

AdamB
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Just trying to ascertain if the problem is your end or here

no probs - I'm getting notifications now with mail.com?

JSR
06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Not with generic free email accounts like the ones mentioned. The likes of Yahoo like to play god and if they've detected anything even remotely suspicious from your IP address, or a nearby IP address, then they "deprioritise" any email from that server - which means they often silently drop the emails.

Trouble is, it's a false practice because, in the real world, hundreds of domains can be hosted on the same IP address - and it only takes one abusive user to spam out for Yahoo and their ilk to tar everyone with the same brush. It's happened for years.

You could spend days bending over backwards trying to get your emails through, or you can just acknowledge that it's always going to be a problem with these free email services. After all, they don't really want to provide the free service - they just want you signed up so they can sell your email address off and make oodles of money from spam email themselves (and adverts, of course).

In short, they want to let spam emails through that they make money from - but they don't want to do any more work than they have to for legitimate emails.

JSR
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
no probs - I'm getting notifications now with mail.com?
I'm curious - don't you have your own domain name?

AdamB
06-10-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm curious - don't you have your own domain name?

I do, got a couple of domain names that are linked to the personalised gifts side of things, but not got any packages yet - just holding onto the domain until I get around to it.

The other sites I maintain are not related to the gifts side and although I have email accounts with them I like to keep everything seperate.

JSR
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I do, got a couple of domain names that are linked to the personalised gifts side of things, but not got any packages yet - just holding onto the domain until I get around to it.

The other sites I maintain are not related to the gifts side and although I have email accounts with them I like to keep everything seperate.
Oh, I see.

I have a umbrella domain for my business that's separate from the personalised gifts side of things (because I do consultancy work that has nothing to do with mugs), and I use that when registering on forums and other websites. I just append a prefix that's related to the site in question before the @ sign and forward the address to one of my main accounts. If I suddenly start getting spam on that email address, I know exactly who's sold off my details and I shut down that email address immediately - without affecting all the others. The ultimate spam-killer! :biggrin:

AdamB
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
That works!

unitil now yahoo has served me well - now I wonder of all the other emails that I may not have seen?

JSR
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
That works!

unitil now yahoo has served me well - now I wonder of all the other emails that I may not have seen?
Emails from established companies - like Amazon, and your bank - will get through anyway. Yahoo's policy (and that of similar free email providers) is to look down their noses at smaller organisations with unestablished domain names using shared IP addresses or hosted on common shared servers. A very elitist attitude.