PDA

View Full Version : seo and adwords click per ad etc

purpledragon
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Ok no idea how t place a poll on here so ill do it this way . who uses
1. A third party seo company in other words paying a dedicated seo firm
2. ad words
3. pay per click ( think thats same as ad words but just incase)
do you do any of these and do they work for you ie do they convert into sales ?

John G
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
You can do your seo yourself - never used ad words or pay per click.

It will be interesting to find out what others do!

AJLA
06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Free SEO several come up in Google,

purpledragon
06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=John G;31576]You can do your seo yourself - QUOTE]
Hi John ive tried doing my own i have all my key words in the right places (ithink) they relate to content on the page etc but i must be doing something wrong cause i cant seem to get found where i want to be found, Also time is a huge factor i barely have time to update my site let alone spend a couple of hours a day doing my seo (ahhh the joys of working on your own). Im just interested to see if spending all that money and it can be a lot of money, would convert into sales. I have one main seller on my web site which considering the huge selection i have on there is a bit weird really, even this item isnt making me a millionaire the temptation is to try and make it so i sell more of that one item but to be honest im abit worried about tinkering with the one thing that does sell .

AJLA
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Know what you mean, during the summer months unfortunately my site is never up to date, the time of year I get to grab a bit of time here and there to up date it as it should be (it's almost a full time job) is coming up. Wherever I get a few moments i'll submit our details to free Seo sites etc, update keywords and meta descriptions, not sure i'd want to pay for this service, how many more sales would you need to generate to make it justifiable?

purpledragon
06-10-2011, 11:30 AM
not sure i'd want to pay for this service, how many more sales would you need to generate to make it justifiable?
thats the problem isnt it if i spent £1.00 and had £100 worth of orders well then its worth it but times are hard enough without spending £100 just to make £1 and as yet i havnt come accross anyone who says yep its definatly worth doing but you cant help but think surly if it wasnt worth it these seo /adword/click per ad firms wouldnt still be around , if that makes sense

gtd91
06-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi guys,

If you're looking to improve your google page ranking, you will want to gain as many backlinks as possible (links from reputable sites back to your own site) This shows google that your website must be relatively reliable and worth looking at, therefore they list your website higher up in the search , when people search for key words relevant to those on your site.

I've found a good way to get High PR (page rank) site backlinks is to use a article submit website, For example www.ezinearticles.com, You have to write a 400+ word article on a subject (make this article surround your website information to get your keywords to match up) Then on the article you are allowed to add one link at the bottom (your website).

This is a great way to build quality backlinks as it will help google tie your website to the keywords you have chosen for your site :) Goarticles.com is another good one to use, but im sure if you search google for 'article submit website' youll find many!

Another good way to get listed is to use google business listing, its free and pretty simple to complete, you just have to go on maps.google.com and click on 'put your business on google maps' This is pretty good cause when youre listed and say someone searches 'tshirt printing in ashford' if you have listed you address as ashford, you are likely to come up right at the top of the search result :D

hope all of this helps!! can take up a bit of time, but these to tips really helped me when i was promoting a music site last year.

Good luck guys

Martinx
06-10-2011, 01:37 PM
SEO can be quite complex. Your content has to be relevant to the product. gtd91 brings to the table some very good points with link building which is favored by google thus pushing you up the natural listings.

PPC campaigns can be effective providing you target your keywords correctly. Anything too broad and your daily allowance is eaten up by 9am!! (Speaking from experience)
You can use 'Adwords' to drive your PPC targets.

Don't expect to turn every click into a sale. On average alot of companies actually factor in a slight loss with PPC at the start.

Ensure your meta keywords on your site back end are again relevant without going overboard. Google hates what is known as 'keyword stuffing'

It can be all mind blowing but very worthwhile.

All the best
Martin

Martinx
06-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Forgot to mention, make sure all your images are tagged properly as this is important for google images.

For example: If you have various images of mugs on your site, naming the image files mug1.jpg, mug2.jpg, mug.jpg3 etc isn't really any good. Be very specific.
your company name-photo-mug.jpg

Thanks
Martin

John G
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Brett,
I've had a quick look at your site - not sure if this makes a difference but you haven't left any space after the comma on each keyword. Also content is not compatable - see below:

This page contains too many URLs.
This web page contains 119 urls. Some Search Engines have problems with more than 100 urls on a page.

Keywords meta tag contains too many keywords.
This tag contains 21 keywords. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' keywords tag. The maximum number of keywords we recommend for this tag is 20.

Keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is poor.
The keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is 43%.

Hope this helps a little - also noticed you need to go searching for your contacts - IMO these should be on the top right in the white space you have - visible on every page.

Cheers John

purpledragon
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Brett,
I've had a quick look at your site - not sure if this makes a difference but you haven't left any space after the comma on each keyword. Also content is not compatable - see below:

This page contains too many URLs.
This web page contains 119 urls. Some Search Engines have problems with more than 100 urls on a page.

Keywords meta tag contains too many keywords.
This tag contains 21 keywords. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' keywords tag. The maximum number of keywords we recommend for this tag is 20.

Keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is poor.
The keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is 43%.

Hope this helps a little - also noticed you need to go searching for your contacts - IMO these should be on the top right in the white space you have - visible on every page.

Cheers John
thanks john ill take them points and have a look at them today , odd about the commas bit i might not no much about seo and keywords but i know that much and im certain in my set up pages i seperate keywords with commas so i might have to contact my provider about that. The relevancy bit confuses me i have to say, can you give me an exmple ? also the contacts bit im using a template and thats where the contacts page is placed again looks like i might need to contact my provider.
Lots of good advice on here regarding seo and how to use it etc but i would still like to know if anyone can say yes ad words etc does convert into sales or no its a waste of money

John G
06-10-2011, 02:46 PM
One example would be your keyword "sash" - it doesn't appear anywhere on the page in question. If you use keywords, they have to appear on that page - imo, the more times the better, so thats why the relevency is way down.

It may also help if you didn't just put one word keys - "printed sashes" instead of "sashes" would narrow the search down a little. I'm self taught so not sure exactly how it works but it works for me.

purpledragon
06-10-2011, 02:55 PM
what page are you looking at john

John G
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Seems to be the landing or home page

purpledragon
07-10-2011, 05:39 PM
its a template based web site john i have no control over the home page meta tags

purpledragon
08-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Well i had email notification of a reply to this but i cant see the reply here but ill answer it any way.
I do have control over the meta tags of indiviual items but the main pages if there is a way of gaining control i cant see it. It was suggested if i had dream weaver id be able to change it there this may be true unfortunatly i dont have dream weaver and to be honest if i did and the knowladge on how to use it i would nt need a template based web site im afraid web design has never been my strong point

John G
08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
The whole point of keywords is they appear on that page - putting keywords in that don't appear will have a negative effect on your ranking. I would suggest that you contacted whoever deals with the design and get the keywords sorted.