PDA

View Full Version : Missing posts

John G
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Some of my posts seem to have disappeared - is there something wrong with the site at the moment?

Paul
08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
same here! I post something then in next 20min they gone. after next hur they there again! :/

I must say omething when I looked who is on the forum there was only me and Adam. (my post was there.) then I whn chek agian and my posts was missing and much more people on forum. after another 10 min. my post back and again only me and adam on forum. its almast like a problem with refreshing???

Justin
08-10-2011, 10:02 PM
OK, do you know roughly the date of the threads, is it recent, i.e. today?

Justin
08-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I've just emailed all members. I'm bringing the software update forward and taking the forum offline at 9.30pm, there's obviously an issue here somewhere but it isn't happening to any of my posts so difficult to emulate.

logobear
09-10-2011, 12:43 PM
I lost a fresh thread I started about 3 weeks ago.

Justin
09-10-2011, 01:27 PM
OK, it would appear random threads have indeed disappeared, I think the problem is quite minimal but I repaired the tables last night just in case. I'll continue to look at older backups to see what I can do.

John G
09-10-2011, 03:45 PM
It wasn't anything important for me Justin - just a few replies to ongoing threads that just disappeared.

Justin
09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Cheers John :-) I can see that there are a few posts gone, I'll probably not try anything more to get them back as it will cause major disruption...more disruption! Unless the problem turns out to be bigger than I though. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Paul
09-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Just to let you know that today morning i saw.my post in hardware section and now.is.not there again...

Justin
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Paul...so the post you made days ago is appearing and disappearing randomly?

Go and put a test thread in there for me please.

Paul
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Just did :-)

Justin
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
OK, post is there right now......

John G
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Something is going wrong with the forum since the Saturday tech updates. I've posted today a few times and then 10 mins ago I looked for new posts and there wasn't any posts from today, none at all. Then checked again a few minutes ago and there were loads - this has happened to me 2 or 3 times since Saturday. Also the icon thingymajig that appears in the chrome toolbar has changed and is different to the one that appears on my laptop.

Is it just me or is the forum acting strange just lately?

Paul
10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
this is exactly what was happening to me! but so far so good for me...

AdamB
10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
John - there are a few problems at the moment and I know that Justin is aware of them, he's talking to possible hosts as we speak to look for the best package. I know it's a little annoying John as it's happened to me a few times as well (one of them being a post that took me about 40mins to write!).

All I can say is it's not 100% yet, not far off but there still may be a few more 'teething problems' :-(

Paul
10-10-2011, 05:57 PM
yp :) Justin is still working on this one! i am sure there is a back up file ion case of bigger problems so all safe :)

John G
10-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks Adam, i'm not annoyed at all, just bambozzled as it's just happened again with no posts then all of a sudden 6 or 7 fresh posts, some saying they were posted 10 or 15 mins ago.

Hope Justin manages to get this sorted, must be a nightmare for him!

pitkin2020
10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
I've just emailed all members. I'm bringing the software update forward and taking the forum offline at 9.30pm, there's obviously an issue here somewhere but it isn't happening to any of my posts so difficult to emulate.

I never received an email from the forum so not sure how many others never got an email, just thought I would make you aware in case there is a problem there.

pitkin2020
10-10-2011, 08:11 PM
John - there are a few problems at the moment and I know that Justin is aware of them, he's talking to possible hosts as we speak to look for the best package. I know it's a little annoying John as it's happened to me a few times as well (one of them being a post that took me about 40mins to write!).

All I can say is it's not 100% yet, not far off but there still may be a few more 'teething problems' :-(

It is annoying but a little tip (doesn't help now) but when ever i am writing a long post out before clicking the submit button i select it all and copy it (CTRL+C) just in case it doesn't post/you get timed out/lose internet. There is nothing worse than losing a long post lol

Justin
10-10-2011, 08:39 PM
When you're typing your responses you will see an auto save appear in the reply box. If you come away from the page you can go back and restore the text you've lost. The above problem happened because I had to work on the forum quicker than expected and unfortunately a couple of members were in the middle of posting.

The email problem has now been rectified and I know what was causing this.

The missing posts are a mystery but I know exactly when this started to happen. I'm taking steps to get things sorted but this will mean a little more downtime I'm afraid, should be minimal and I will give as much notice as possible.

Part of the latest maintenance was to change host and to what should have been a superior package. The new host have caused me untold problems and several sleepless nights so I'm working quickly to get us back on track before proceeding down that route any further.

Justin
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
BTW....the little logo (favicon) has simply reset to vBulletin and will be sorted as well :-)

Justin
10-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Any information that you can provide me with regards to the loss of posts etc. would help. That is, times, dates, how long before it disappeared, anything really. I've just done some work on the database that may or may not have helped so if you lose any more please let me know.

Anyone that's had a post disappear, when you clicked the submit button did it appear to take a long time to process? Also, did you see the post appear in the forum or did it never even go in there?

Many thanks.

Justin
10-10-2011, 09:59 PM
OK, quite a bit more work gone out since my last post with the host company, I won't go into detail but I'm keen to know of any further problems anyone has, slow forum, missing posts, anything out of the ordinary please let me know! :-)

Ian M
11-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm still not getting email notifications as in if I have left a comment on a post & them someone else does after me. I did mention this last week but, never got a reply.

Justin
11-10-2011, 09:26 PM
This problem was sorted an the maintenance thread was updated. I'm not aware of anyone else not getting email notification but I will be carrying out further maintenance to try and get us back on an even keel soon.

AdamB
11-10-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm still not getting email notifications as in if I have left a comment on a post & them someone else does after me. I did mention this last week but, never got a reply.

who's your email with Ian?

I had the same problems last week with yahoo email??

Ian M
11-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Justin, it's now working :biggrin:

Ian M
11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
who's your email with Ian?

I had the same problems last week with yahoo email??

I'm with Virgin Adam for all my sins. Just glad Virgin Media don't run the airline otherwise there would be planes coming down all over the place.

AdamB
11-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Can someone reply to this thread please - I want to see if my yahoo email is back up and running :-)

Justin
11-10-2011, 09:49 PM
The reason why the notification emails stopped is that my new host company disabled the email format that we use here and I wasn't aware of this. I've changed how the emails are sent so everything should be ok with that now.

AdamB
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
BACK OF THE NET! (I said that in an Alan Partridge way).

All ok now .................... I'll miss my little tinkle chime when I get an email :-(

Ian M
11-10-2011, 10:18 PM
BACK OF THE NET! (I said that in an Alan Partridge way).

All ok now .................... I'll miss my little tinkle chime when I get an email :-(

Knowing me, knowing you aha.

JSR
12-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm with Virgin Adam for all my sins. Just glad Virgin Media don't run the airline otherwise there would be planes coming down all over the place.
We have a Virginmedia email address here, but we haven't been able to log into it for years. We've phoned them about it, tried to change the password online, everything - but nothing works. It just constantly asks for the password and then ignores it when we type it in.

I'm glad we don't rely on Virginmedia for our emails! :rolleyes:

AdamB
12-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Knowing me, knowing you aha.

love it! :-)