PDA

View Full Version : also looking for my 1st mac

Paul
09-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Just in love with the new iMac :-) but to get this i need to sell my kidney. But there is one problem. I already got only one kidne :-(
Any way i will find the way to get this beauty but there is one question...
Can i use my chinese cutter on mac? If so is there any descent not to dear software to use with cutter.

Paul
09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
please! if somone has any experience with mac's I love to know how dificult they are as I always where windows man :P

Justin
09-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Have you considered Hackintosh Paul? or an older Mac....pretty much covered in the other thread. This thread is still here!!!

Paul
09-10-2011, 11:48 PM
no. never try hackintosh. I prefer to get real stuff ;) I also want the screen :) Love it!

Martinx
10-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Once you use a Mac you will never go back!! They are very simple to use. I have been using Mac's for about 15 years now. The iMac machines are amazing.
You will love it Paul

Paul
10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
:D will it work with my chinese cutter? :P

Martinx
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Not sure if your chinese cutter comes with software on a CD or has been downloaded electronically, but look out for compatibility.

Any mention of OSX then it should run on your Mac. That's the mac operating system.

Paul
10-10-2011, 01:02 PM
In wors scenari i will instal my win xp on my mac :-) so all incompatibile hardware can be still used. Just read abouthis on the net it looks quite aimplw. Now i just need to sell some parts of my body and off tp comet to get one :-)

Martinx
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes, you can indeedy!! not sure if this link helps.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

All the best with your body parts!! What's the going rate for a left earlobe these days? ))

Paul
10-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Lol problem is that all i go is in aingles so i dont think i will do to good with rising funds that way...

ptholt
10-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I use Parallels to which you can add virtual images of other operating systems (windows 7, windows xp, Google, etc, etc).
So worst case scenario if there is no osx software, use parallels and create the correct windows operating system inside the mac os.

you may find there are drivers for the cutter that will work on the mac, and it will probably depend more on your choice of software, for example corel has no mac version, so us maccies tend to use adobe illustrator, so does your cutter work with that for example.

But the get out is always using parallels so you can run another os inside your mac os.

Paul
10-10-2011, 09:05 PM
thanks buddy! its great to know there is always a option ;)
I will try that when I get my first apple :)

JSR
11-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I've occasionally considered looking into Mac but every time I do, I think of all the software and hardware I use (all of it ancient) that I'd most likely end up having to replace.

And I figure if I'm going to enter that world of pain, I may as well just do the Linux thing. :biggrin:

Needless to say, I'm still using sub-£200 WinXP netbooks! :cool:

Ian Mc
11-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Eeek! How on earth do you get anything done on those? :D
I'd never go back to PC in the home / photography environment. That said, I do still keep a couple of Win/Linux boxes around - you never know when you might need them.

JSR
11-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Eeek! How on earth do you get anything done on those? :D
It's about buying/using what you need, not what you think you want ... :wink:

ptholt
11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
are you still driving around in a morris minor thinking of the same analogy? :)

only kidding.

JSR
11-10-2011, 09:19 PM
are you still driving around in a morris minor thinking of the same analogy? :)

only kidding.
You may laugh, but I'm the one laughing when I see people spending hundreds of pounds on ever more vast machines in order to do just what I do with a netbook. It's not what the machines are capable of that's the issue, it's the perception that people have.

ptholt
11-10-2011, 10:11 PM
awww its gotta have flashing lights, make noise, look nice thats the whole fun of shopping for gadget toys :)

Ian Mc
12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I suppose I can agree with what your saying, JSR. I'd just have a long wait on my hand if I decided to edit 120MB TIFs on a netbook... :tongue:

JSR
12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I suppose I can agree with what your saying, JSR. I'd just have a long wait on my hand if I decided to edit 120MB TIFs on a netbook... :tongue:
Well, it's not impossible... :biggrin: I don't recall ever being sent a 120MB TIF to put 3-inches square on a mug. The usual problem is the pictures being too small, not too big.

Personally, I prefer the convenience of being able to pick up one thing and take my entire office with me. No worries about any moving parts, no worries about battery running out in under an hour (which was always a problem with any full-size laptops we could afford). Freedom! :biggrin:

For me, the netbook revolution was over too quickly. In my 30 years of computing, the netbook is the only product that ever made sense. Everything else has always been in an arms race - getting ever more powerful with ever larger hard drives just so we can fill it up with ever more resource-hogging bloatware; and then the cycle starts all over again. I mean, why does Windows 7 need 16GB of disk space when Windows 98SE did fine with just a couple of hundred MBs? It's typical of modern-day bloatware, and we buy into it by buying bigger and more powerful machines just so we're ready for the next overload of bloatware. If that's not crazy, I'm turning in my straight-jacket.

djhutton
12-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Not just me then, I'm running one set of business accounts on a samsung netbook and also like the idea of taking with you. Screens a bit small for much graphics work (if you use the toolbars etc) but works fast enough. Other office pcs are 6yr old Dells and they still seem to cope nicely running xp.

Having said that it hasn't stopped me shopping at the weekend for 27" imac :-) Got that mainily to do some video/dvd work for another business - presentations etc, the big screen (boy is it big) is handy for seeing better what the final result is actually going to look like, and I have to say that the os is nice. Its going to take a while to get used to the way it works. I'm going to have a go running a couple of the age old graphics programs I'm used to on it (windows emulation) and that may well make its way into the office in due course. If I can find mac alternatives I will but looks unlikely for some favourites.

Bear in mind (original poster) that business discount can be obtained via the online/phone apple shop (about 5%) and with a bit of armtwisting also applies in store as long as you are a 'proper' business. Makes a bit of difference.

If you have money to spend it's nice to try something different, as a long time user of windows progs I'm not sure I'm going to become a mac devotee but so far its proved very good at what I bought it for.

DJ

JSR
13-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Not just me then, I'm running one set of business accounts on a samsung netbook and also like the idea of taking with you. Screens a bit small for much graphics work (if you use the toolbars etc) but works fast enough. Other office pcs are 6yr old Dells and they still seem to cope nicely running xp.
While at home, I have my netbook connected to external keyboard, mouse, printers, etc, and my 19" monitor (I was eyeing up a nice 24" monitor the other month but my finances got diverted elsewhere). The small screen on the netbook itself is fine at a push - when on the road, in a car, in a field, whatever - but if there's a larger screen laying around it makes sense to use it.

I do have a desktop PC here which, although it's a bit old, is probably faster than the netbook - but I've seen no need to turn it on in about 4 years. I honestly don't notice that I'm using a netbook when I have it attached to the externals at home.

Besides, the desktop used something like 80-130W while the netbook uses 15-20W. That's got to save on the electricity bills! :wink:

Paul
29-03-2012, 11:35 PM
ok. little update on this one :) just installed my first imac in my life and already LOVE IT! Now need to find out how to install my subli stuff on it and cutter and off i go :D

smitch6
30-03-2012, 07:32 AM
well done Paul and welcome to the mac world :)

ptholt
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
If yu have any problems getting mac versions just 'buy' parrallels, install a win7 disc and you have your own partition of windows 7 inside the mac.
Certain things i find have to use Corel (no on the mac) or other windows only apps so having a spare little windows area is very handy, dead easy to set up, and works seemlessly inside your mac.

Paul
01-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I already got parallels :-) an i think you mistaking this with bootcamp. Bootcamp is working only with win7 and give you separate parttion. Paralells is working on same as mac.

ptholt
01-04-2012, 08:59 PM
no, im not mixing it up :)

boot camp - allows a second install of an operating system on the mac hd and you choose which to boot from at start up.
parallels - when you run it allows a version of any operating system to be running whilst mac os is running using coherence - for example i can start parallels, select win7, and still have my mac os running, but i also have a windows session running and i can access windows start menu and mac operating system all from the same session :)

Paul
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
i know that but what confused me was when you said about partition. parallels does not set partition for windows. only bootcamp is.

ptholt
02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
sorry that was a poor choice of words on my part, i should have said instance rather than partition hehe.

Paul
07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
i love my imac :)
recently i was looking for new software for my cutter. my choice was flexi for mac. as i already own flexi10 this could be my best shoot.
but now i discovered this parallels software so no need to spend penny more for new software. all old windows software working great!
here is flexi 10 for windows running perfectly on iMac:

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/52daa705f58f64011f4415e12fb6ba9cf9704cfee2248c5848 dcddbd27fe9a646g.jpg

so no need to buy new corel etc :)
LOVE IT!