PDA

View Full Version : opinion please!

mugstar
10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi,

Just after a couple of opinions about the following....

If you take for example a Lego brick, and then modify it by making it into a keyring can you legally say it is a 'Lego Brick Keyring' (NOT LEGO KEYRING). I think it is ok as it is actually what it is...i.e. a Lego brick turned into a keyring!

If anyone knows pls write below....!

Cheers
Steve

sarahjayne
10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I have sold polymer clay bracelets on Etsy listed as "coca cola can bracelet" as that was the base product underneath the clay. I wouldn't have said they were coca cola bracelets though. It falls under recycle/ reuse or altered art and you're not trying to "pass off" your product. Personally, I can't see the problem with it - it's easily recognisible as a lego block and is a genuine lego product, aren't you effectively reselling it?

Paul
10-10-2011, 07:56 PM
nope :( LEGO is copyrighted as a trademark I belive.
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/wp-content/uploads/LEGO%20google%20logo.png

sarahjayne
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
but I thought the trademark meant only genuine lego bricks could be sold as "lego" - if he's using an actual lego brick how is that breaking the TM?

As opposed to these guys who are creating a new product with a recognisable brand
http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/05/24/17-gadgets-inspired-by-lego-bricks/

AdamB
10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Don't tell me - it's the old 'Lego Key Hanger'?

1. collect different colour lego bricks
2. drill small hole and insert ring
3. take large piece of lego and drill holes so it can be wall mountable
4. hey presto a lego key-hanger that keys are 'stuck' onto when not being used.

Someone came up with the idea a few years ago so what did Lego do? They created a branded one!

The basic (DIY) version:

John G
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Love it Adam, never seen these before but what a great idea :smile:

mugstar
11-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Those key hangers are cool!-I had not thought of those!

That's what i thought Sarah Jane, they ARE lego bricks. I am just trying to check, I think that as long as I don't use the trademark (obviously) then it should be fine?

Lee
11-10-2011, 12:28 AM
If that is true, could you do that with anything............ would be useful to know........ wheres Matt??

mugstar
11-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Just got this from the Lego website:

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a ® symbol each time it is used.

I THINK that means is it Ok if I follow these rules?

JSR
11-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Just got this from the Lego website:

Proper Use of the LEGO Trademark on a Web Site
If the LEGO trademark is used at all, it should always be used as an adjective, not as a noun. For example, say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGO BRICKS". Never say "MODELS BUILT OF LEGOs".Also, the trademark should appear in the same typeface as the surrounding text and should not be isolated or set apart from the surrounding text. In other words, the trademarks should not be emphasized or highlighted. Finally, the LEGO trademark should always appear with a ® symbol each time it is used.

I THINK that means is it Ok if I follow these rules?
I think you need to read the whole page, re:

Therefore, we have developed these guidelines to assist Internet users who wish to refer to LEGO products for non-commercial purposes as to the appropriate way to refer to our LEGO trademarks.

So, what you quoted is only for non-commercial website use only. For commercial use, you need to contact them.