PDA

View Full Version : B + white images with a ricoh

AJLA
13-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Not tried any yet but can you get a good Black & white image from a Ricoh. From my D88 they were never that great

JSR
13-10-2011, 04:21 PM
You can get a good black & white image from any printer if the ICC profile is good enough.

Unfortunately, the only way to get an accurate profile is to profile your specific printer & set-up. Printers are built to tolerances and if your printer was built to the opposite end of the tolerance scale to the one that was used to create the profile, you're going to get screwy colours, colour casts, and non-neutral black & whites.

Profiles supplied by Sawgrass (or any other third-party supplier of generic profiles) will be, at best, "close enough" but, at worse, they could be useless.

I use by way of example my Epson B40W that I bought last year. The Sawgrass profile for Artainium ink resulted in the printer producing images with a hideous green colour cast. I thought the printer itself was useless - until I created my own ICC profile for it. With a profile made to that precise printer, colours came out spot-on.

I've always suffered from slight colour casts on my R1400s and over-saturation on a 1290S, and I'd always assumed it was a foible with the printer. It turns out that the problem is with using a generic profile that was created on some other printer with the same model number.

Even your D88 is capable of producing a good black & white - if you have a more accurate profile.

John G
13-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I've never done a black n white image on the Ricoh so wouldn't know. sorry!

phoenixalpha
13-10-2011, 05:09 PM
doesnt the print setup on whatever program you use have a "print grayscale" or "print using black ink only". Thats the way I get good mono prints otherwise the printer defaults to using all the inks.