PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is wrong? (epson p50, mug heat press)

novolight
22-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Hello
I have a big struggle to make a good quality mug. I read the forum, tried to follow instruction, but nothing good comes out.
Could anybody help me to find out what exactly is wrong.
Please, see the sample of my "best" mug so far.
this is what I have
Software CorelDraw X5
Heat press No lable
Paper No lable
Printer Epson p50 with refillable ink cartriges with ink for sublimation.

First, printing.
Printing parametres
Corel Draw Default color Management settings : RGB color profile is set on SP T50 P50 T60 Standard
After pressing File>Print>Properties I choose Photo print on Epson Matte Paper. In advance tab I choose Color Management ICM and off (no color adjustment). Here is the photo

Second, using the heat press.
Recomended way is to use 180C for 300 sec if the press is cold, and 180C for 180 sec if the press is hot. Which doesn't work.
After reading forum I've done different, I preheat the press with extra mug until 190C and then put my mug on 190C for 200 sec, which were my best settings so far.

Third, getting the result
Nonesense.
People have a grey skin, image is not bright.

I understand that people ask the same questions, but so far I coulnd't find an answer which can help me.
I bought all the equipment from single supplier and it must work, but not in my case.

I would like to know if there is anybody who have the same equipment and sofware and have an exellent results.
Any advice will be appreciated.
THanks
Regards
Anna

Paul
22-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi anna. You need to use icc profile. You need it to tell your printer how to mix the colours to get great results. Standard printer profile is no good. Also in printer driver i would think edge smoothing and high speed. Also check if you print on correct side of your oaper. Ps. Link to your mug does not work.

PAul

John G
22-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Buy cheap, print cheap.

Why not buy a printer that's compatable with the ink you want to use. You cannot put ink through a printer that's not supposed to go through it without changing the profile.

Justin
22-10-2011, 06:45 PM
First thing we need to establish is what paper you're using and where it came from. Next, we need to know what sort of ink you have. If this ink (as I suspect) is third party and not supported by Sawgrass, we cannot discuss this here.

The P50 is a fantastic printer for sublimation but as Paul has mentioned, you need the correct profile for the inks.papers you're using.

I would always recommend a new starter buying a supported printer and inks. Further down the line you may wish to experiment with other equipment but it's better to get it right now and start earning some money quickly.

novolight
22-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Hello

Thank you for the replies.
So, it seems that there no problem with heat press, but with the printer and ink.
I've done some research and Epson P50 seems to do the job for many people. and the supplier looks reliable to me, so the ink and printer must be compatible.

Could you, please, tell me where can I get a right ICC profile for my printer and how do I install it. I work with Corel Draw

I am in the minus now, as I can't sell mugs like this to the customer

Thanks
Regard
Anna.

sarahjayne
22-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Paul will do you a profile for £25 - have a look in the offered/requested section - there is a thread somewhere and in the gallery you can see someone who posted a mug before and after Paul did the profile. The difference speaks volumes...

Justin
22-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Can you post a photo of your mug press? You're obviously using sublimation paper as the image is there and the colours don't look toooo far off, it just looks washed out which could be the press/heat settings.

Ian M
22-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm just wondering if giving the D88 profile a go might improve the colour a bit. It just may brighten things up enough & doesn't cost anything to try.

Here's the link where you can find the Epson D88 profile to download http://www.xprestechnical.co.uk/downloads.php

Paul
22-10-2011, 11:58 PM
worth to have a go with ready made one. can we see the photo before it when on the mug?? so w eknow how far is off...

Justin
22-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I've sent a profile to Anna so that she can at least get that bit working right, I'm still thinking it's more to do with the press though.

novolight
23-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Hello
Thank you very much for the help
Yes, I have a new profile from Justin and I can see the BIG IMPROVEMENT (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), at least people start look like people, but it's not an exellent result yet.
Here are the photos of the press and 2 mugs I done.
The outcome is not bright enough and it's still looking faint.

What parametres should I use for the press?

Thank you
Regards
Anna

Justin
23-10-2011, 02:21 PM
What pressure are you using Anna? Have you experimented with additional time and heat to see the difference?

Did you check printer and Corel settings in the links I sent you?

Paul
23-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Press look good. I would set it (I useto had one like this one!) at 185C for 180sec and this would be my starting point.
I can see huge improvment when printing with profile but its not as good as it should. old debate about all printers are diferent seemd to remind itself...
by you may get away with it by little bit tweaking but this will involve tweaking with every photo you print.

but agian... I would try diferent preasure as Justin mentioned :) my starting poin for mugs is always medium/heavy.

all the best!

PAul

Justin
23-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Something we havn't yet established, whose mugs are you using Anna?

Lornem
23-10-2011, 06:42 PM
positive it's the press i have , but mine are perfect at 210 for 250 seconds

Justin
23-10-2011, 06:47 PM
positive it's the press i have , but mine are perfect at 210 for 250 seconds

That increase could make all the difference :-) Are you putting a blank in until the press is up to temp Anna?

The French
15-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,

I'm in France and I found this forum looking for a solution to my problem!
This problem is the same as that of Anna!
If you can give me also this profile of the P50 would be great.

Thank you very much and please excuse my friend Google that translates for me!

mrs maggot
15-12-2011, 11:26 AM
its also worth sometimes in corel draw exporting to PDF to check colours on a print

The French
15-12-2011, 11:41 AM
its also worth sometimes in corel draw exporting to PDF to check colours on a print

Mrs maggot Ok, thank you for the information.

Patrick and Google

shaz103
05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Paul will do you a profile for £25 - have a look in the offered/requested section - there is a thread somewhere and in the gallery you can see someone who posted a mug before and after Paul did the profile. The difference speaks volumes...

sorry for hijacking this thread how do I get paul to do me a profile?

viccar
05-04-2013, 08:53 PM
sorry for hijacking this thread how do I get paul to do me a profile?

You could click on his name and give him a private message.