PDA

View Full Version : Things that go bang in the night! (faulty mug blanket)

AdamB
25-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi all,

just a question really for those electricians around.

My mug press blanket is starting to get worn and frayed on the edges. Yesterday I turned it on (as normal) and when it hit the idle temp the trip switch went off in the shop. I thought the fuse had gone in the cable so I changed it and carried on (did about 10 mugs).

Last night - same thing!

The question is - do I have a faulty press or is the blanket that is frayed causing a short or something? (images below)

619 620 621

Also, can I confirm something.

The press is a DF1 press bought from BMS and the replacment blankets are £42 - but I looked at the coralgraph website and replacement blankets are only £24.99 (the connections on each look the same from the images shown on the websites)

Links: BMS - http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/584/replacement-mug-wraps.htm
Coralgraph - http://www.coralgraph.com/heat-press-accessories/replacement-wraps-for-coralgraph-coral4-and-coral2-mug-presses

WILL BOTH WORK IN MY PRESS? Obviously, if they are the same then I'm all for saving a few quid!

Many thanks in advance :-)

Paul
25-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I hax pres like this and they all this same. I bought 2 diferent sizes from coralgraph and bot worked fone. Worth have a go...

AdamB
25-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Paul - do you reckon that the fraying is causing the power to trip?

Paul
25-10-2011, 11:51 AM
I dont realy know that. but i remember my first blanket had HUGE hot spot. this was due the bad blanket and heating wires was to close to the teflon. so it fryed there after few months.

Ian M
25-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Adam, It does look like it could be shorting out due to that fraying. In fact on looking at the photos the word FUBAR came to mind :biggrin: It does look like a bit of newness has worn off it. If you turn it on when holding any of the metal parts do you light up?

AdamB
25-10-2011, 03:57 PM
.........If you turn it on when holding any of the metal parts do you light up?

It's funny Ian - I was thinking the same thing ....................... don't think I'll try it though!

John G
25-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Bloody hell, how many mugs have been through that press Adam?

AdamB
25-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Bloody hell, how many mugs have been through that press Adam?

ouch - I reckon between 500-750 mugs ..................... is that good going then (lol)

John G
25-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Mine still looks fairly new, has a few scorch marks on but nothing like yours. I must have pressed quite a few thousand mugs no problem - I think there may be something wrong with yours if it gives up the ghost after 750 mugs.

AdamB
25-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Mine still looks fairly new, has a few scorch marks on but nothing like yours. I must have pressed quite a few thousand mugs no problem - I think there may be something wrong with yours if it gives up the ghost after 750 mugs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the press John - just the blanket, and to be totally honest I'm not sure if I was the cause of this as the blanket was catching the metal when I was closing the press :-(

AdamB
25-10-2011, 04:21 PM
........... and my estimate of 500 - 750 mugs was well off thinking about it. It's more like 1,000 to 1,500 with out trying to work it out.

Ian M
25-10-2011, 10:25 PM
lol.....according to my run in with HMRC that's all of 2 weeks work according to their estimations. :biggrin:

Coralgraph
30-10-2011, 11:28 PM
We have a similar blanket on sale however if the press was not purchased from us we cant guarantee it will work ,every manufacturer use different connection ,for example we have blankets with 2-3-4 pinholes on the side of the blanket for example and the connector could be male to female or female to male etc etc ,if the press not purchased from us i dont recommend to use our blankets

AdamB
31-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Many thanks Coralgraph (Henry?), it is indeed a breath of fresh air when you receive honest advice and not just a supplier that wants to make a sale. As I wasn't sure, I never ordered one although with the price difference it would be nice to see if they would have worked (note to anyone willing to spend the cash in an experiment?).

NOTE TO ALL: I got a replacement mug blanket from BMS in the end (just wanted to play safe). This was sorted for about 10 minutes until another problem came around the corner and bit me on the a$$!

Read about this problem (that was eventually sorted - again through BMS) at: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?3395-HELP-wanted-anyone-got-a-spare-DF1-Mug-press-for-parts