PDA

View Full Version : How many times can you press a mug?

Imme
07-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Hi

Bit of a tight-fisted question this but I want to save where I can:tongue:
I was wondering if there is a limit to how many times you can put a mug through the press before the sublimation coating starts to either fail or change its properties?
I want to set up for different papers and temp/ time settings using just one mug.
This would mean printing small tests at different parts of the mug but putting it through the heat cycle several times.
Does anyone already do this and do the results alter after several cycles?

Cheers

John G
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Why not give it a try, all you going to waste is a little ink, 3 minutes per print, and the cost of a mug.

Listawood
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi

It should work fine so long as you don't mind that the print previously applied will gradually deteriorate with the subsequent pressings.

Alex.

Imme
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks

Once I have evaluated the outcome of each pressing then that image on the mug would be done with.
It is just a way of creating a list of settings to get the "best" results on a particular type of mug using different papers and printer settings. But without destroying half my stock practicing!

Cheers

bms
07-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd just make sure your mug was cold before you pressed the next image so you always start from the same point.

purpledragon
08-11-2011, 12:34 AM
why not use strips of differnt paper or settings etyc then tape each strip on the mug the just press once you will end up with multiple bands of print each from a differnt paper or whatever you're testing

Imme
09-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd just make sure your mug was cold before you pressed the next image so you always start from the same point.

Thanks Martin. I hadn't thought about cooling time, That could make it quite a drawn out process just to get some profiles.

Imme
09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
why not use strips of differnt paper or settings etyc then tape each strip on the mug the just press once you will end up with multiple bands of print each from a differnt paper or whatever you're testing

Great idea. That gets round so many issues and would save a lot of time. Thanks