PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4's Vs Galaxy S II

Paul
09-11-2011, 12:56 AM
watch this if you dont know what phone to choice ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=elKxgsrJFhw

MattP
09-11-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm glad I have the Galaxy S-II :biggrin:

Imme
09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I'll stick with my HTC Sensation:wink:

Justin
09-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Not really surprised, neither are what you might call tough phones! Good to see the Galaxy beating the iPhone yet again. I've been debating this one a lot recently and all the tests I've seen put the Galaxy ahead, hoping to get one soon :-)

JSR
10-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I have a small Samsung phone here (Galaxy Portal). That taught me one thing - never buy a Samsung phone again. I bought it believing that, as it was Android, it would be updated as new versions came out. But no. Samsung decide not to upgrade certain phones in order to make you go for their newer ones. That's fine unless you're stuck in a 2-year contract. Two years with zero updates means I've had an out of date phone since I first got it.

Never again.

At least Apple didn't abandon my iPod touch as soon as I bought it. My next phone will be an iPhone, if only so I'm not hung out to dry by the manufacturer of an Android phone again.

Paul
10-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I dont think this is fair comparision mate :)
If you compare galaxy s II to iphone yes. fair enough. but this is two diferent shelfs if you ask me..

logobear
10-11-2011, 02:31 AM
I have had an iphone, a 3g, then a 3gs, (both on O2)and i NEVER ever want another apple phone, I never ever want anything to do with itunes, it is the most hideous, invasive, arogant bit of SW ever, and while the device was always pretty dam cool, it was always a pretty useless phone.
Seriously thinking about android, lets open up the debate.
ANDROID or Apple OS ? even windows 7 mobile? ......... I've never had a blackberry .....
Please advice me where to spend my next 24m of £25 - £35 pcm
I think I've decided it mustn't be on the '3' network
Thanks
Phil

Imme
10-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Why not 3? I'm sat here writing this on a HTC Sensation on three with a better connection than my friends I phone on O2 sat next to me

pitkin2020
10-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I have a small Samsung phone here (Galaxy Portal). That taught me one thing - never buy a Samsung phone again. I bought it believing that, as it was Android, it would be updated as new versions came out. But no. Samsung decide not to upgrade certain phones in order to make you go for their newer ones. That's fine unless you're stuck in a 2-year contract. Two years with zero updates means I've had an out of date phone since I first got it.

Never again.

At least Apple didn't abandon my iPod touch as soon as I bought it. My next phone will be an iPhone, if only so I'm not hung out to dry by the manufacturer of an Android phone again.

I wish you were talking rubbish as I have had a fair few samsung phones over the years and have always found them to be great, usually loads of features and excellent battery life. I bought the samsung Monte not long after its launch and whilst I knew it wasn't android I was expecting to be able to get apps from the samsung store for it but 4 weeks after launch they stopped supporting it and no apps were ever available. The GPS in it is useless and the closest it will usually get you is in with 1200 metres, not much use for anything. I can understand manufacturers not supporting your phone after 12-24 months but weeks after launch is stupid, it has seriously put me off samsung now knowing it wasn't just 1 phone.

pitkin2020
10-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I have had an iphone, a 3g, then a 3gs, (both on O2)and i NEVER ever want another apple phone, I never ever want anything to do with itunes, it is the most hideous, invasive, arogant bit of SW ever, and while the device was always pretty dam cool, it was always a pretty useless phone.
Seriously thinking about android, lets open up the debate.
ANDROID or Apple OS ? even windows 7 mobile? ......... I've never had a blackberry .....
Please advice me where to spend my next 24m of £25 - £35 pcm
I think I've decided it mustn't be on the '3' network
Thanks
Phil

All the reviews I have read say android is by far the best, powerful, loads of apps free and paid. Iphone does have good software but the Itunes aspect is PITA. Windows 7 doesn't have all the apps and a lot of the windows one are paid apps, but that could change if people buy into the windows phones and developers have a bigger audience to make apps for.

Andrew
10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I've got the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's a great phone. Never had an iPhone to compare though. I had been using a HTC Desire HD which was also really good but would say the S2 just about beats it. Apps are great on these platforms as well. I've never been an apple fan with their inward way of thinking as I find the thought a bit restrictive.

John G
10-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Hi All,
Totally newbie to these kind of phones - still on payg on a very old flip motorolla razer v3. My daughter is on a contract and has a HTC S fire or wildfire, or something like that. Daft question - as you can browse the interweb on these phones, do you need to be running any anti virus on an android phone. :redface:

Paul
10-11-2011, 10:53 AM
you can JOhn but you dont have to as there is no many doggy programs on them yet. but yes. you can load antivir on them :) you could on old good nokia N95 :) this was years a go :)

@logobear- I am sure you have your own reasons why not to choice 3 network. but for this money you have available to spend on phone I would realy sugest to give them a go.
As a android phone owner i can say I love it to bits. 1000's free apps, android politics, linux kernel etc.. Most I love about my android phone (smasung gallaxy ACE) is theret connection. when my internet was down all it needed to do is click one buttom! thick the squere "tethering" and my phone become a wifi hotspot for all my pc's a laptops at home. so still connected to the wrld :) why 3?? cos for £25 you can get bloody descent smart phone with android on "plan one" this is only true UNLIMITED internet! so Ilisten my favorite online radio while my phone conected to my car stereo. always on forum when I am not on front of my pc etc. love it. and dnt pay any panny extra.

JSR
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I dont think this is fair comparision mate :)
If you compare galaxy s II to iphone yes. fair enough. but this is two diferent shelfs if you ask me..
I wasn't making a comparison of the phone, I was comparing the company behind the phone.

Samsung don't make the OS, they make the phone. On a whim, they said "we're not putting the next version of Android on that phone, you'll have to buy the new one". That's a bitter pill for someone who's just started a 2-year contract - to know that the manufacturer doesn't give a stuff about you. All they want is for you to buy the all-new expensive phone. They don't say in advance that they won't support a phone as soon as they release the next one, but it's what they did.

I'd rather stick with a company that isn't going to leave me stuck with an outdated phone for the life of my contract.

Android promises much, but if the phone manufacturer hangs you out to dry - you're lumbered with an outdated phone. It's that simple. Having had to stick with an outdated version of the Android OS for 19 months now, I know that I will *never* use another Android phone on a contract again because there's no way I'm going to be left stuck with an obsolete phone and OS by a manufacturer who has no other focus except getting you to buy the new product. In all this time, I've seen many developments, changes, improvements, progression, and evolution of the Android OS. Can I take advantage of any of them? No, because the manufacturer's *sole aim* is to get me to buy the new phone. Well, they can go whistle.

This is the 21st century with phones as powerful as computers, but if the manufacturer hangs you out to dry, you're stuffed.

JSR
10-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Why not 3? I'm sat here writing this on a HTC Sensation on three with a better connection than my friends I phone on O2 sat next to me
I'm on the '3' network and it works fine for me. I've tried different networks (Vodafone, Orange, and now 3). I've not really had a problem with any of them but '3' seemed to offer the better packages. I don't use the full quota of my package, but there's enough there that I don't need to worry about keep switching back to WiFi for fear of data charges.

That said, I was seriously going off them a few weeks back when I was inundated with calls because they'd sold off customer details to some middleman company. Haven't had one of them for a few weeks now, but it was seriously annoying when it happened.

Paul
10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
just out of interest JSR. what kind of updates you wish to have in your phone?? OS updates?? as I am sure iphone dont provide any updates. only new phones.

JSR
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
just out of interest JSR. what kind of updates you wish to have in your phone?? OS updates?? as I am sure iphone dont provide any updates. only new phones.
An update to the next version of Android OS is what's wanted. I'm not saying it should support all future versions (like version 3 and version 4), but Android 2.2 and 2.3 should at least have been made available by Samsung for this phone. I only got Android 2.1 on it because I went with '3' - people buying this phone on other networks were stuck on 1.5 or 1.6.

You're very much mistaken if you think Apple don't provide any updates to their iPhones.

My iPod Touch came with iOS version 2 in 2008, but had updates to version 3 in 2009, and version 4 in 2010, (and all minor updates in between).

My iPad originally had iOS version 3 from 2009, but has had updates to version 4 in 2010, and version 5 in 2011.

Meanwhile, my Android phone has been stuck on the OS that it came with almost 2 years ago with zero updates. I see other people having the ability to put apps on the SD card, not me. I see other people having tethering, not me. I see other people using Flash, not me.

I'm stuck in the Dark Ages, thanks to Samsung abandoning their own device despite it only being a couple of months old when I got it.

Never again.

The sad thing is that I'm very much in favour of the ideal of Android and I really don't like the "walled garden" approach of Apple's iOS, but if the ultimate implementation of Android is that you're stuck with what you got on day one, then it's not a practical solution.

elektrobix
03-12-2011, 12:54 PM
I know i'm late to the discussion but i've had both phones and as devices i think they're much of a muchness. I started with a Galaxy S2 earlier this year and it has a lovely big screen, decent camera, extremely fast and is nice and light. It did have some glitches though, occasionally it would overheat quite badly and behave really erratically - after some digging on forums it seems a few have had this problem.

My main problem with Android is the amount of tweaking i was doing to get the phone working how i wanted. I was frequently replacing the firmware and swapping standard apps to keep up to date, i wasn't keen on the amount of garbage apps in the market and the whole thing just felt unfinished somehow.

Then my phone was stolen (by my partner) so i bought an iPhone 4s and i must say after years of Blackberry & various Android handsets i was instantly blown away. Everything about it seems so much more polished than android - the apps are better in my opinion, i think the camera is better which is handy for me as i'm always snapping and i prefer the music player. Build quality is lush, call quality is better than any previous phone i've had and Siri is pretty darn clever too.

The only thing i'm not overly keen on is the annoying auto-correct keyboard but other than that it will take a heck of a phone to switch me back to Android now. For me the ideal phone would be an iPhone running a polished version of Android with the Apple App store (and maybe a Blackerry Bold slideout keyboard) :smile:

Paul
03-12-2011, 12:59 PM
4s got better camera then GIIs??? :eek::confused:

elektrobix
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes i think so, slightly - but better. They're both very good for phone cameras but personally i prefer the shots that come out of iPhone and i really like the image editing Apps too. For simple edits i don't bother with Photoshop anymore, which is a great time saver!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6228/6341987690_407248eefb_z.jpg http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6053/6341055594_451c10bb5a_z.jpg

I've also noticed when quickly grabbing pics of my little Jack Russel, iphones camera is faster.

smitch6
03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
i have a HTC wildfire s (my main phone) and a samsung galaxy europa thing (purely for internet)

i like the HTC the samsung is rubbish tho so glad i don't acrtually use it it just sits on the side and provides us with internet :)

but i have a mac and really want an iphone 4s :(
i keep dropping hints to everyone i know and hoping 1 days someone will get me one lol

smitch6
03-12-2011, 02:23 PM
oh btw folks it's my birthday on monday :wink:

Paul
03-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I just wonder how much this pictures was taken by you and how much by your phone :)

steve! please do not bad mouth samsung on here :wink:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/313270_2632548491779_1197395367_3040022_1275331607 _n.jpg

sorry :) couldn't resist :rolleyes:

elektrobix
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Well i'm no camera snob, i believe you can take great photos on the measliest of cameras. I've got as many framed pictures on my wall from my phone camera as i have from my DSLR.

With no editing, no camera apps, the bog standard iPhone camera is faster than the Samsung, handles contrast better and i get less blown highlights with it (imo).

I'm actually a Samsung fan btw.

JSR
03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Well i'm no camera snob, i believe you can take great photos on the measliest of cameras.
"i believe you can take great photos on the measliest of cameras .... so long as it's not made by Vivitar."

There, fixed it for you... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Justin
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Still looking at getting a new phone, pretty much decided the Galaxy, partly for price reasons :-) The 4S looks great but I think for what I need the Galaxy would be great.....now come on Santy Claws!

Paul
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
I looked on new samsung galaxy note. bit on the big side but i love it :) all i do in one piece.... :D

JackB
04-12-2011, 12:56 PM
I must admit that after years of using payg, last thursday I went over to the dark side. I popped into O2 and signed a 2 year contract on a Samsung Galaxy Ace, and so far I must admit I am well chuffed with it.
I even found an app that shows the night sky in real time, just hold the phone to an area of sky and it shows you the planets, stars and galaxies. So now when I get the telescope out I will have half a chance of knowing what I'm looking at.:smile:

Jack.

Paul
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Only problem with ace is it has one day battery only. Whatever you do it won last longer. Also small memory size is crap. Few updates and phone will go nuts! Oher then that is nice phone.

Stitch Up
09-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Been using the Galaxy S2 for a few months and love it.