PDA

View Full Version : Ready to throw my B40W out the window..grrr help please..

debbie
10-11-2011, 07:42 PM
My printer B40W purchased last August, not been used on a daily basis.so not through wear and tear.but now getting busy.and it's really playing up..ok..chip seems to need re-setting lots..and apart form getting a sore finger..it's wasting alot of time, the roller looks like its going to take the paper but spits the paper back up rather than feed through (the paper has been kept flat) there is ink around the edges of the paper so have to trim all the way round, once you managed to manually assist the paper feed, nozzle check fine, getting horizontal lines on my photo print outs, even when put on highest setting still makes no difference. When you try to do a head re alignment both paper jam and ink light comes on and the paper gets stuck..starting to loose my mind...can anybody assist please..tempted to get another printer..but haven't had this one long..

bms
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like the paper feed issue is a fault with the printer as it should take the paper okay even if there were problems printing. Have you tried putting the genuine cartridges in the printer to see if the lines appear also - if not then there must be a problem with the ink flowing through the easyflow system.

debbie
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't have the genuine cartridges as the printer purchased from you came with the ciss system..I have lots to do so cannot spend much more time wondering what to do..any more advise please, getting desperate..many thanks..

Paul
10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Debbie! if you got some urgent work and your printer wont go then ust give me a shout and I print some transfers for you. you only down the road so just give me a shout.

debbie
11-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Paul..that's very, very kind of you, but I really don't want to put anyone out, work is building up, so may just have to put it off for a bit until i get this printer sorted..if it's a fault with the printer, as i say, its not that old..BMS..do you service or refurb, I really would like your help..or is it a case of purchasing a new printer, which can't really afford...many thanks

Paul
11-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Debbie. I dont do that for money so my printer is used only maybe once a week. So there is no much trouble for me to print them for you. Just give me a shout and i can sort printing out for you. If.you designs are very rare and you would like to keep them just for youself then you can pop in with memory stick or cd and print them directly from them. I dont mind.

Paul

JSR
11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
When these printers go wrong, the solution usually involves lots of time and patience. If you don't have either available, then you're only going to get stressed out.

These printers are what's known as "entry level". When they work, they work great. But when they don't, they don't. The only way to avoid stress is to have a backup printer available.

I have a B40W which developed a problem within a month of getting it - the cyan wouldn't print. As I had backup printers, I left it to one side until I found time to deal with it. Seven months later, I changed the cartridges, did a couple of head cleans, and it started printing okay again. But no amount of hair-pulling and trying things out to fix it when it failed (in the run up to Christmas last year) made any difference. Nothing I could do would fix it. Just leaving it for an extended period was what fixed it in the end.

All I can say is that if you do get a replacement printer - don't throw the B40W away. In a couple of months time, when work isn't so plentiful, you can attack it with a clear head and it'll probably work fine.

These days I rarely use Epson printers (CISS are too much trouble, and refillable cartridges are thimble size), but when they work they are great devices.

debbie
11-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Thank you JSR, but as I said I can't really afford another printer..the actual ciss system I haven't had a problem with, its the ink round the edges of paper, watching and making sure the paper feeds..helping it out..re-setting the chip, you'd expect that surely from an OLD well used printer, I purchased the B40W as it was in my price range after buying an S21 which was a bad idea thinking I could get away with cheap...I was very happy until just recently..BMS what would you suggest? Thank you..

bms
11-11-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't have the genuine cartridges as the printer purchased from you came with the ciss system..I have lots to do so cannot spend much more time wondering what to do..any more advise please, getting desperate..many thanks..

If it came from us then the genuine cartridges would have been supplied as well, so you should have these somewhere. We don't remove any cartridges from Epson printers as they might be needed in instances such as these.

bms
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Paul..that's very, very kind of you, but I really don't want to put anyone out, work is building up, so may just have to put it off for a bit until i get this printer sorted..if it's a fault with the printer, as i say, its not that old..BMS..do you service or refurb, I really would like your help..or is it a case of purchasing a new printer, which can't really afford...many thanks

Should have read this as well! No we don't service/ refurb, but Epson Service Centres are dotted around the UK. Have a look on Epsons website for you local service centre.

Paul
11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
As far as I know epson wont touch it as it was used wit subli ink...

bms
14-11-2011, 07:09 PM
But if you put the genuine cartridges in and it still doesn't work then Epson will assume it's been used for normal ink printing and will touch it.

Paul
14-11-2011, 07:09 PM
but this is lie :biggrin:

bms
14-11-2011, 07:14 PM
but this is lie :biggrin:

But it rarely fails :) Even if you've used none genuine inks, our Epson repair centre will look at the printer for you - might cost £15 for a deep soak in cleaning solution, but it save hours of your time.

Paul
14-11-2011, 07:15 PM
yeah definitly worth to have a go tho ;)

JSR
14-11-2011, 10:05 PM
But if you put the genuine cartridges in and it still doesn't work then Epson will assume it's been used for normal ink printing and will touch it.
Yeah, because Epson can't tell what ink's been used by looking at the waste pad. No, not at all. They're completely blind in that eye... :wink:

whitesquizzel
15-11-2011, 08:45 PM
So when you switch from sublimation ink to standard ink and then back again should you then run through lots of sublimation ink before you print to mugs etc - just want to clarify as I thought it was a big no no to swop between different types of inks on these printers yet there seems to be lots of talk about swapping out the cartridges for the standard ones etc.

bms
15-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Just print a couple of pages of different colour and this will be okay.

Paul
15-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I have done this trillion times in my epson and never had a problem, (but i dont remomend it as there is possibility of air lock. not nice thing :/ )
When you switch carts printer begin head clean. this is enough to get rid of "other" in out. head hold only little ammount of ink and head clean remove it all. I know that as I had waste ink tank instaled and know how much ink is drain to the tank.

JSR
15-11-2011, 10:44 PM
So when you switch from sublimation ink to standard ink and then back again should you then run through lots of sublimation ink before you print to mugs etc - just want to clarify as I thought it was a big no no to swop between different types of inks on these printers yet there seems to be lots of talk about swapping out the cartridges for the standard ones etc.
Epson printers have their ink cartridges positioned on top of the printhead. The gap between the cartridge outlet and the printhead nozzles is small. On the one hand this can be problemmatic for air blocks but, on the other, it means that changing cartridges isn't a big issue. The "charging" that the printer does when a new cartridge is installed should be enough to ensure that inks don't mix.

Printing a couple of pages of colour would offer peace of mind but it may not be necessary. When you do a nozzle check and compare OEM ink with dye-sub ink, you'll see a marked difference. OEM ink is much more vibrant (brighter) while dye-sub ink is a bit dull and lifeless. If the nozzle check shows the dull and lifeless colour, then dye-sub ink is flowing. If it shows vibrant colour, OEM ink is showing. If it's showing the wrong one after changing cartridges, then print something until it shows the right colours.

Printers that have cartridges remote from the printhead (Brother, Ricoh, etc), have a tube connecting the cartridge outlet to the printhead (a bit like a CISS, only better). While this has the advantage of reducing the risk of air locks, it does mean that ink is in the tube when you change cartridges. If the printer doesn't flush all that ink when the cartridge is changed (and it shouldn't, because it'd be very wasteful), then you'll need to do it yourself - by printing several pages until the right colours come out.

Ideally, though, you'd have a different printer for regular inks and dye-sub inks so you don't need to worry about any of that. Printers are so cheap these days that it's not really worth sharing one for both jobs, and the above info should only apply if you're either changing ink suppliers/brands or you buy a second-hand printer that you want to put dye-sub ink in, or for troubleshooting purposes (including if you're sending the printer back to the manufacturer).

debbie
23-11-2011, 10:31 AM
One problem solved.yeh!.paper feed working a treat now....problem was.."THE PAPER". WOW how something so simple can make a big difference..still have fine lines on print out..nozzle fine, head alignment makes ink light and needs chip re set....set to highest quality is worse...

gstk
24-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I know its a bone of contention but I still say for me its a no brainer. We switched to a Ricoh about 18 months ago and NOTHING would make me change back to a ciss system. It prints, it runs out of ink you replace the cartridge no mess no fuss. We havent had to do any nozzle cleans. We went on holiday for a fortnight and came back and it printed first go. Infact down tiem and stress from it ZERO (Now I've said it)

JSR
24-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Infact down tiem and stress from it ZERO (Now I've said it)
That's all we want from our printers, isn't it? :biggrin: There are more important things to spend time on than slaving over an objectionable printer for three days just because it picks today to have a day off.

ASO Embroidery
24-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi
have to agree with gstk we bought a epson d120 about 18 months ago along with a mug press the printer never ever worked from day 1 so much so i was so fed up with it the whole thing went in the bin we now have the Ricoh gx7000 and its never let us down since we got it i know others on the forum say the print quality may not be just as good as some of the epsons but when you have nothing to compare it against i think it is a superb printer although i do agree it is definately not the cheapest but from a reliability point of view you cannot beat it
my tuppence worth..
Sammy

JSR
24-11-2011, 11:56 AM
have to agree with gstk we bought a epson d120 about 18 months ago along with a mug press the printer never ever worked from day 1 so much so i was so fed up with it the whole thing went in the bin we now have the Ricoh gx7000 and its never let us down since we got it
Am I correct in remembering that the D120 cost £50, and the GX7000 cost £500+? At ten times the price, I'd not only expect the Ricoh to be superior to the Epson, but I'd want it to go out and make the tea for me as well..! :biggrin:

John G
24-11-2011, 12:58 PM
There's flaws in your maths JSR - the D120 is an A4 printer while the GX7000 is A3, but I do agree that they are much more expensive than an epson

ASO Embroidery
24-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Yup your absolutely correct not sure about the exact price but your not far off i cannot argue with you regards the price it is I think way over the top but from a personnel point of view if it means i do not have to have the problems associated with the ciss system then its money well spent

Regards
Sammy

JSR
24-11-2011, 01:28 PM
There's flaws in your maths JSR - the D120 is an A4 printer while the GX7000 is A3, but I do agree that they are much more expensive than an epson
Well there are £500+ Epson printers that do A3+, and that's what should be compared to a £500+ Ricoh, not a £50 budget entry.

I have an R1800 that, while I don't use it for dye-sub, has a significantly better build quality than my £100 B40W. That £100 B40W is better quality than the old £40 Epson I had years ago (which would have been a forerunner to the D120 used here by ASO for comparison). My R1800 wasn't a £500 printer, but I know the next model up (which was) was built to even higher standards. It's all about comparing apples with apples, not apples with mangos...:biggrin:

In short, if you buy cheap you have to plan for potential problems. If you buy expensive you expect gold-plated fittings and exemplary service/support. That's only natural.

JSR
24-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Yup your absolutely correct not sure about the exact price but your not far off i cannot argue with you regards the price it is I think way over the top but from a personnel point of view if it means i do not have to have the problems associated with the ciss system then its money well spent

Regards
Sammy
I agree with you. First and foremost the important thing is to have a setup that works. People find different setups that work for them, and no one can argue with that.

If you're in the business for the long haul, then a few extra hundred quid for the printer is a tiny investment if that works the best for you. Some people may find that what works best for them is to buy several £100 printers instead of a single £500 printer. That's not wrong either.

If the Ricoh had been available when I started out years ago, then I suspect that no one would be using Epson these days (except us rebels!).

gstk
24-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Am I correct in remembering that the D120 cost £50, and the GX7000 cost £500+? At ten times the price, I'd not only expect the Ricoh to be superior to the Epson, but I'd want it to go out and make the tea for me as well..! :biggrin:

Price comparison still flawed. D120 with ciis and ink was a lot more than fifty quid. Add the countless mousemat prints that stopped two thirds from finished. Add the hours Of priming and swearing and then binning it the mess and I bought the A4 one. No brainer

JSR
24-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Price comparison still flawed. D120 with ciis and ink was a lot more than fifty quid. Add the countless mousemat prints that stopped two thirds from finished. Add the hours Of priming and swearing and then binning it the mess and I bought the A4 one. No brainer
You don't have to use a CISS with an Epson, you can use refillables. And those refillables can contain anyone's ink - unlike the Ricoh for which you must use the expensive pre-filled cartridges. There are also many people who swear by Epsons and don't have problems with them, just like there are Ricoh owners who have been stuffed when their motherboards burn out.

But none of that is the point. The post I was referring to said that a £50 printer wasn't as good as a £500 printer - which is pretty obvious, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

John G
24-11-2011, 08:32 PM
But none of that is the point. The post I was referring to said that a £50 printer wasn't as good as a £500 printer - which is pretty obvious, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.

Sorry JSR, I had read your initial post the other way round - I thought you were pushing the £50 Epson as a shining example and slating the Ricoh's. :redface:

JSR
24-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Sorry JSR, I had read your initial post the other way round - I thought you were pushing the £50 Epson as a shining example and slating the Ricoh's. :redface:
No, no, quite the opposite! Glad we got that sorted out.

I'm just glad we have so many choices, so we can each go with what works best for us.

John G
24-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Yes, we need more printer manufacturers to supply sub ready printers - doubt it will happen though!

JSR
24-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Just one manufacturer doing a sub-ready printer would be nice - so we wouldn't have to fiddle about using printers that were not designed for the ink, and so that we'd have proper support if something went wrong. Fat chance of that happening while only one manufacturer can "legally" supply the ink and they show no interest in providing proper support or to invest in the industry.

I wonder if the likes of Epson were allowed to sell dye-sub ink, then maybe we'd see proper support and a much stronger industry, instead of all this cowering behind a patent that's been going on for the last 20 years. (Ignore me, I'm just moaning...:biggrin:)

gstk
25-11-2011, 08:03 AM

Sorry JSR - I did the same I took slant on that post.