PDA

View Full Version : D120 blocked nozzle!!!

Robert
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I Have a d120 and have only done a couple of prints - probably about 8!! When I installed the bulk feed system, I had to do about 3 head cleans to get a half decent nozzle check. Now 8 prints later and less than one week after I got the printer, I have a block of black lines practically non existent on the nozzle check after a further 3 head cleans!! Not to mention the amount of wasted ink.

Is this normal? Pls help. Needing to print a mug urgently :(

Paul
11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
there is no need to do more then one clean. after you do that dont do any nozzle check. leave printerf for couple of hours then try to print nozzle check again.

thx

Paul

Justin
11-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Just got my D120 replaced after the magenta 'stopped' coming through, blockage or air lock I don't know.

Anyhow, Epson told me to do max. 6 head cleans, no more. I get different advice every time I email them to them my printers up the duff.

I tend to do 2 cleans, leave a while then check, repeat and try again.

Is it a new printer under warranty? Sawgrass inks?

Robert
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
It's brand new from BMS with sawgrass inks :(

purpledragon
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Switch the printer off make sure you unplug itleave for 1/2 hour then try it again
when this dont work switch printer off make sure you unplug it take cartradiges out (the ciss ones) switch printer on the printer now thinks its brand new and wants you to put the cartrages in do that hopefully it shold solve the problem

Justin how are you getting on with your ricoh im not that impressed with the prints so far i think i need to fine tune it some more any tips

Brett

Justin
11-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Have you called Martin@BMS yet Robert?

Sawgrass are carrying out test prints, just waiting to hear back form them Brett.

bms
11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Don't believe we have had a support call re this one but happy to help out if this is still an issue.

Robert
11-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Don't believe we have had a support call re this one but happy to help out if this is still an issue.

I didn't know you were on here, and the issue occurred out of hours hence posting first.

I left it for an hour, and reprinted, that's all I've done since posting on here. Here's a pic of what the nozzle check comes out like - sorry for bad quality, taken on my phone. The ink level has gone down enormously, and at this rate I'm going to have to charge £30 per mug :!: to break even

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/14/69/38/64/doc-1110.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=10&u=14693864)

If you could kindly advise on the matter as the use of it is essential. Thanks in advance

bms
11-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I'll assume you haven't done many head cleans as the thread doesn't suggest so.

Try the following:
1. Head clean, nozzle check - does the black on the left look much better?
2. Print something from, e.g. Word - large black text at best quality print for example tell the printer it is a best quality photo. This will print slowly but force ink through the print head.
3. Leave for 1/2 hr and repeat nozzle check - is this improved?

If the nozzle check is not improved then you may need to re-prime the black cartridge. In the kit provided you have a syringe and a sharp needle. This should be inserted into the black cartridge in the raised part where you see a circle with a middle hole - push through and then pull back on the syringe. Ink should come through into the syringe body (squirt this back into the bottle to avoid waste).

Is the ink solid fluid ink or very bubbly? If solid then 1 head clean and then nozzle check. If bubbly check to make sure the cartridge is inserted firmly in the printer and redo the prime. If still bubbly then please call us as we may need to replace the cartridge and tube assembly as it may have an air leak somewhere.

Robert
12-01-2010, 01:35 AM
I've done 3 head cleans before this photo. I did the syringe thing only 5 prints ago also. Will test again in the morning and get in touch.

Robert
12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I followed your instructions Martin, and also gave you a call today, but told not in until tomorrow.
I did 1 head clean today after trying everything else to no avail. now, there is no block at all on the left, and the second black block (on the nozzle check) is "gappy". The colours block looks ok, So, overall, worse than before. Not to mention the level the ink has gone down - and bearing in mind, I've only done 5 mug prints - so not even 3 pieces of A4.

Please help. Will try and give a call again tomorrow if no response.

bms
12-01-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm around in the office for a couple of hours in the morning, but if not then leave a message/ number so I can call back.

Robert
12-01-2010, 10:53 PM
thanks Martin, i'll be in at 9:00, so give you a call then

voicis
13-01-2010, 11:17 PM
is problem solved?

Robert
14-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Yesterday I removed the cartridges, then put the sharp needle syringe into the top of the black cartriges and pulled back. I sucked about 2ml of air out before solid ink started coming through. I put them back in and printed a nozzle check and all seemed fine. I have done one photo print since then and it has printed fine. However, I guess only time will tell, as when the cartridges were first installed, there was no problem and after five prints this occurred. I am hoping that there isn't a slow air leak - perhaps in a few days I will know.

purpledragon
14-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Its more likly there was an air bubble when you first started unfortunate but it happens. it probably took 5 prints for the air bubble to find its way to the carts causing an airlock ergo no ink . I wouldnt mind betting its cured now but heres a couple of things ive found with printers they are strange animals
I have had 2 epsons so far a 285 and a 1400 both have the same issues.
1. never let your printer run out of paper both mine hate it resulting in dodgy prints
2.dont switch the thing off both mine hate it resulting in dodgy prints
3.dont stop a print halfway through both mine hate it resulting in dodgy prints
Basically sub printing means treating your printer like its royalty keep it fed dont make it do something it doesnt like and give it the best you wont go far wrong.
Brett

Robert
14-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Brett - all three things you mentioned above I do! :oops:

purpledragon
14-01-2010, 01:19 PM
You live and learn i found that all my printing issues were solved when i discovered you print then leave well alone lol