PDA

View Full Version : Inks and things for epson b1100

Jesus
19-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi guys im just getting started with sublimation T shirt printing and i have 3 printer related questions. Iv just bought an epson a3 b1100, and obviously ill be getting a ciss, ink and paper. Will any dye sub ink work well with this printer, will cheap ink give much worse results than expensive inks? im on a limited budget, so any recommendations are appreciated. also what is the best paper to use? I cant believe how much cheaper sub paper is compared to inkjet transfer paper. I was paying almost £1 per sheet of Jet Pro SS paper, sub papers are just 30p ish from what i have seen.
Sorry about the noob questions, i cant really find the answers to these with the search. Thanks in advance

Jesus

Paul
19-11-2011, 09:22 PM
have a look on here: (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?1525-Brother-printers-for-sublimation-use.)
you can see some end results with 3rd party inks. mind tha you dont have ANY suport with "cheap" inks!

Justin
19-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi Jesus and welcome to the forum :-)Third party inks 'can' give superb results but as a noobie starting out I wouldn't advise this route. The A4 Ricoh option would get you up and running quickly and reliably.We don't discuss specific third party inks on this forum due to the small format printer patent imposed by Sawgrass. There's nothing to stop you experimenting with this option but as Paul mentions you get no official support if things go wrong.Many users start off trying to save money but end up spending more in the long term.....buy once and buy right.....start making your money back asap.

John G
19-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Where are you getting 30p sheets of paper from?

xpres paper is ideal and only 10p a sheet

Jesus
19-11-2011, 10:00 PM
A4 is really too small for my designs though, a3 printers are so expensive, but i managed to bag the b1100 for just £98 new! why would one need official support? what are the typical problems that i may run into with this system? Is it the Ciss or the ink itself that would cause the problems? Thanks for the reply

Jesus
19-11-2011, 10:02 PM
For a3? Those were just the prices that i saw on ebay. i will take a look at expres, thanks John

John G
19-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Sorry, A3 - 19p a sheet.

bms
20-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Sorry, A3 - 19p a sheet.

Plus vat.

Unsupported inks mean no profile which in turn means colour matching. If there are any issues at all with inks, ink flow, colour matching, poor quality transfers, etc etc then you are down to your own devices to resolve the problems.

smitch6
20-11-2011, 10:55 AM
i will have a CISS for this printer coming up soon :)
i've decided to do away with my ciss and go for refillable carts
i've just to figure out something to put the ink in thats in the CISS (why don't we keep the empty bottle lol )

Paul
20-11-2011, 12:51 PM
100ml bottles are on ebay dirt cheap ;)

Jesus
21-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Plus vat.

Unsupported inks mean no profile which in turn means colour matching. If there are any issues at all with inks, ink flow, colour matching, poor quality transfers, etc etc then you are down to your own devices to resolve the problems.

ok, so after a lot of reading, iv come to the conclusion that some cheap chinese inks work amazingly well, some do not.. maybe due to lack of colour profile, maybe not. I have found a supplier of cheap sub ink that has pretty good customer feedback and ratings, and after contacting them asking about the product they say that they do not come with an icc profile as they work very well without one. Of course this may be bs, but i found this.. http://www.pureprofiles.com/?gclid=CO3AwOKtxqwCFQsb4QodFDNpqA If i were to buy this cheap ink, and not be happy with the colours, would a profile from this company work? I know i might come across as being a right old cheap skate, but i am pretty much broke now and have very little funds left to get this business up and running, the missus's patience is wearing very thin lol.

As my designs are not photo quality, im kind of thinking that exact colour matching isnt going to be too much of a problem. Most of my designs are black, some with other colours but its pretty bold, solid designs, i cant really see that using the best of the best ink is going to be much of an advantage to me.. but what do i know? i am just a noob afterall. :/

Jesus
21-11-2011, 12:49 AM
i will have a CISS for this printer coming up soon :)
i've decided to do away with my ciss and go for refillable carts
i've just to figure out something to put the ink in thats in the CISS (why don't we keep the empty bottle lol )

Why would you be going over to a cartridge system? what do you know that i do not? lol

John G
21-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Paul on this forum does Profiles.

They may be going to carts as I think you don't have the problems such as airlock etc.

JackB
21-11-2011, 12:59 PM
As John G says Paul on this forum is your man for profiles, as his work is well proven with praise from several forum members that he has made profiles for.

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/member.php?4-Paul
Jack.

Paul
21-11-2011, 02:55 PM
would a profile from this company work?
yes. :) but... it all depend of ink you wat to profile. some inks has such a small color gamut that even 2000 color samples wont be much help :) but wort to have a go. cheap enough...

Paul on this forum does Profiles.

As John G says Paul on this forum is your man for profiles, as his work is well proven with praise from several forum members that he has made profiles for.

thanks guys ;)