PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Subli Flock

accdave
14-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Just wondered if anybody can give me some tips on cutting subli flock with a Robo Cutter. Real beginners stuff would be great :D

bms
14-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Cut it in reverse from the back with the red blade adjuster before you print onto it. It should cut fine but you may need to use a piece of backing from a used piece of flex to protect the blade from cutting into the cutting mat.

Once cut to the shape you want then print onto it as normal.

accdave
22-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I had a quick try today and it worked to a degree. What are the actual settings normally used , speed etc ?

I was cutting circles, but found them to be slightly out of shape. I have the speed set at 10, do I need to slow it down ?

I know I could trial and error it but don't want to waste flock ;)

bms
22-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I think we set ours at 33 pressure and 10 speed. You may need to use a backing sheet to stop it moving around, but I think when we did this the circles cut fine without a backing sheet.

accdave
22-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Thats what I had set. Will give it another go tomorrow.

Cheers Martin

GoldRapt
22-01-2010, 11:05 PM
You can print after cutting, what type of printer please and howdo you manage registration?

accdave
22-01-2010, 11:32 PM
You can print after cutting, what type of printer please and how do you manage registration?

I haven't got that far yet, but it would have been my next question :D

I eventually want to be able to print from Corel then cut round the images when printed. I'm confused about this because the above scenarios have involved cutting from the back, which of course wouldn't be correct if there are registration marks printed on the front.

Paul
23-01-2010, 02:46 AM
I have done quite few t-shirts with subli flock and I never cut it up side down.
And I ALWAYS print first. print yor image first with reg marks. use your CR to cut the shape... it have to be fluffy side up so laser aye can see reg marks.

Paul
23-01-2010, 02:52 AM
this is "OLD" answare from "old" forum about subli flock:

subliflock work as normal Let say mousepad print designe on normal sublimation coated paper. then press it with your flat bed or plate press if is small enough. DO NOT MIRROR your artwork as u dont cut it as normal fllex or flock. u cut it up with fluffy side up (printed side) dont worry about glue side when u press your art on flock first as is cover with thic paper so wont lose any glue. after u press your art just cut it with scisores or robo then remove paper cover and off ugo press it to garment job done!

after u print your art on subli paper press it for about 35sec with 180C. quite strong preasure.

when u want to press your art on garment u need about 175C and 25 - 30 sec. again strong preasure. peal cold.

Photos look grate coz winnie is cool and my ink is quite good ( sod artanium

ps. if u can not understand my "english" please let me know and I try my best again

and here you can find all tread: LINK (http://www.personalisedprintingportal.co.uk/member/forums?func=view&catid=1&id=9994&limit=6)

accdave
24-01-2010, 12:59 PM
DO NOT MIRROR your artwork as u dont cut it as normal fllex or flock. u cut it up with fluffy side up (printed side)

I don't understand why you wouldn't print mirrored. Does subli flock actually cut 'flock' side up ? I tried it the other day and it didn't work. Only worked cutting from back :!:

GoldRapt
24-01-2010, 01:09 PM
I would like to know what sort of printer I can use, my laser?

John G
24-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi All,
I've never had flock that was fluffy before cutting, surely one side would be the carrier, or backing sheet, and the other would have the glue or part that affixes/melts to the shirt. If it was fluffy it would jam the rotating blade or if upside down, it wouldn't feed true.

Cut as you would vinyl -mirror your image, cut, weed, then apply. You need a different blade, 60 degrees i think.

BTW - the above info is for xpres flock, I haven't ever heard of flock that you can print before - how would that work?

Cheers John

Paul
24-01-2010, 01:24 PM
DO NOT MIRROR your artwork as u dont cut it as normal fllex or flock. u cut it up with fluffy side up (printed side)

I don't understand why you wouldn't print mirrored. Does subli flock actually cut 'flock' side up ? I tried it the other day and it didn't work. Only worked cutting from back :!:
you print mirrored. but when you cut this flock it can not be mirrored.
Yes. cut it flock side up. Settings for my CR: it was 10cm speed and 33 force. Presset Bristol Paper 57-67lb.

did not cut any dificult shapes. only cloughts etc...

Paul

Paul
24-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi All,
I've never had flock that was fluffy before cutting, surely one side would be the carrier, or backing sheet, and the other would have the glue or part that affixes/melts to the shirt. If it was fluffy it would jam the rotating blade or if upside down, it wouldn't feed true.

Cut as you would vinyl -mirror your image, cut, weed, then apply. You need a different blade, 60 degrees i think.

BTW - the above info is for xpres flock, I haven't ever heard of flock that you can print before - how would that work?

Cheers John
this subli flock is diferent :) it only has one side covered and this is glue side as far I remember. fluffy side is uncovered.
you have to put flock in to your press flock up. make sure there is teflon sheet under it so it can stick to it. put your transfer sheet. press for 45sec.

now you have art printed on flock with reg marks for your CR and is ready tu cut.

I can not see any other way to do it.

accdave
24-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks Paul, penny has just dropped, you don't mirror the cutting :lol:

Thanks for the help

John G
24-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Paul, Just been onto xpres site - I didn't know you could actually get subli flock - instructions are on their website but I still can't see how a cutter would be able to cut intricate shapes.

Cheers John

accdave
24-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi All,

Cheers John

It works the same way as the Transfer Papers you get, except you subli print and the feel of it is a lot less plasticy than the transfer papers. BMS sell it in sheets but Xpres sell it on a 10 metre roll. Just search either site for subli flock

Similar thing to the subli patches that subli supplies

accdave
24-01-2010, 01:37 PM
but I still can't see how a cutter would be able to cut intricate shapes.

Cheers John

Would be good if somebody could post up some of the things they have done with subli flock. Unfortunately my extent so far is squares, oblongs and circles, so it wouldn't really be a showcase effort :D

Paul
24-01-2010, 01:55 PM
i dont have any stuff I made any more :( but as I said - I did only simple shapes like cloughts etc. subli flock is't suitable for dificult shapes. this is just simple solution for people who want to sublimate on dark shirts. good for company logos etc...

Paul
24-01-2010, 02:09 PM
this is not my picture. just find it in google :)
http://www.reklamtisk.cz/foto/subliflock3.jpg

John G
24-01-2010, 05:05 PM
I can see now why I've never used this :lol:

Paul
24-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I can see now why I've never used this :lol:
why is that?? ;) quality of print on subli flock is great! but I agree... this picture is not the best. I think this one was hand cuted instad of use cuter :)

John G
24-01-2010, 06:33 PM
I think this one was hand cuted instad of use cuter

Exactly, thats why I wouldn't use it - the finished article looks $h1t because there's no way a cutter would be able to cut intricate shapes.

Paul
24-01-2010, 08:22 PM
cuter would do that :) no problem. this kind of shapes for CR and subliflock is no problem.

any way... I am fan of subliflock and I think every one should try it :) good stuff for small logos etc...

John G
24-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I know a cutter would do that no problem and judging by the results it probably did.

For a plotter to cut intricate shapes accurately - not like above - the media needs to be flat so the pinch rollers feed it straight. A kid with a pair of kid proof scissors could cut that image out.

I'm talking about cutting letters and thats why there's a wavy white border all around the text, and thats why i'd never use it.

Just my two penneth worth :D