PDA

View Full Version : Which printer & ink ?

Dawn
15-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi,

I'm new to sublimation printing and would like a little help on which printer and inks to buy.
I only need an A4 printer, which is best the D120 which is tried and tested but becoming hard to get hold of, or the new B40W ?
Also which ink would you recommend, Rotech or Artainium and what's the difference between the two ?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
Dawn :)

bms
15-01-2010, 08:32 PM
D120's are tried and tested and still available with the Easyflow Artainium system. The B40W just gives you wireless capability over and above the D120 so it depends if you want this extra feature (and the extra cost).

The Rotech ink were originally designed for the large format printers and are now available in the small format range as well. I think the more popular of the inks is the Artainium brand. Not a great deal of difference really between the inks in terms of colour reproduction - once you have the colour profile set up then the results are pretty comparable.

Dawn
15-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for your help.

Just one more thing (for now), I read somewhere that Rotech guarantee that their inks will not damage the printheads in your printer, is this common with Artainium inks ?

bms
15-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Rotech and Artainium are both brands of Sawgrass inks so any guarantees are from Sawgrass. Whatever ink you use is designed for use in the Epson printers and they don't damage the printheads. All Epson printers have head cleaning features built into them to allow blockages to be cleaned and this would be the case regardless of if you used genuine Epson inks or sublimation inks.

Justin
15-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi Dawn and welcome to the forum!

D120 is a very good printer, personally I prefer Artainium inks.

Justin :-)

David
22-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your help.

Just one more thing (for now), I read somewhere that Rotech guarantee that their inks will not damage the printheads in your printer, is this common with Artainium inks ?

Hi there,
I am new here. I also personally prafer Artainium Inks. My experience has been that the Artainium inks clog less and extend the life of the printerhead and capping station compared with the Rotech inks.

Dawn
22-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys for all your help :)

We went for the D120 with artainium inks from BMS, a little teething problem with the yellow, afew head cleans later its up and running perfect.