PDA

View Full Version : YELLOW CAST

BobC
20-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Just switched on my new mug press yesterday and I'm getting a lot of rejects.

Several questions........

Does anyone have notes on printing from Indesign or PDFs ?

I prefer to do my designs in Indesign rather than Photoshop. However when I started getting bad colour I imported into PS and followed the Artanium instructions closely. I am getting a yellow cast on a full colour photograph.

I have a very good graphic calibrated monitor and have a screen match for the PS and Indesign windows.

I'm printing on an epson 1400

Any suggestions?

Bob

Paul
20-01-2010, 02:01 PM
I have one sugestion :) Is your pdf software or Indesign able to work with ICC profile?? if not I am affraid you need to use PS or coreldraw or similar software whitch can use Icc profiles.

Paul

BobC
20-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Dear Paul

PDF files and Indesign are probably the two most common trade users of ICC profiles.

Bob

BobC
20-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Dear Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

I have a lot of experience with graphic programmes and PDF files. They really are more foolproof for most applications than a photoshop file which requires all those layers to deal with text and borders.

However, I have since done a few more tests and seem to be stuck with the yellow cast problem. On looking closely at other images it seems more like a lack of cyan. Images with a warm look, similar to the avatar image I used have the yellow problem the worst. Strong, punchy images with a lot of blue suffer less.

swimwivsquid
20-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Bob,
Have you tried a softproof with the profile in Photoshop to see if you get the same cast on screen. I take it you have checked that all the inks are working ok.
Regards
Richard

Paul
20-01-2010, 07:26 PM
hi! I know what the PDF is I just did not new that you can print it usuing icc profile.
I can't help yo with your problem as I only have experience with adob3e photoshop. sorry.

PAul

BobC
22-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Dear Richard, I don't get quite the same cast on screen but I do get something very similar.

Dear Paul, Thanks. I am tried printing in PS and am getting the result described.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. Two questions.

1/ I have a softness that gives warm images an extra amount of yellow. I need to reduce yellow a little bit and increase blue and black. How would you do that in Photoshop?

2/ I would prefer to print from PDFs. Once I have solved the colour problem in PS I can transfer the technique to PDFs.

thanks Bob

swimwivsquid
22-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Bob,
The way I would approach it would be to have your image in the "soft proof" mode and the adjust the image on screen using levels until its how you want it on screen.Then go back to your normal working colour space ie Adobe 1998 or whatever and then print from that using the ink profile in your printer dialoge box.....

BobC
22-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Dear Richard

That is just what I had decided to do. Works perfectly but of course its not really the answer for hundreds of images which are also used for other outputs.

I am fairly certain it is a fault with the Artainium Profile.

Thanks

Bob

John G
22-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I had a similar yellow cast, it turned out to be the cyan needed a little clean.

Cheers John

swimwivsquid
22-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Bob,
If its not a cyan head problem that can be resolved by cleaning as John suggests.... and it is a profile problem ....one way around dealing with it
until you can get a better profile made would be to set up an "actions" in photoshop. Alter the cast on screen as previously mentioned and save the levels. Then set up an action and record the same thing. When its recorded apply that action to the folder of other images or just do it when you need to and if you save the actioned images to a separate folder you will still have your originals as they were for your other printing processes. Just a thought.....
Good luck
Richard