PDA

View Full Version : My Ricoh has arrived!!!

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi All - my Ricoh printer arrived yesterday. I don't know if people knew but one additional benefit of the Ricoh printer is that you get a two year (and on-site) warranty straight out of the box (and from Ricoh not the supplier). I must admit this wasn't advertised and I didn't buy the printer just because of this (as I only discovered the warranty information when I opened the box) - but thought its just a nice additional bonus for buying Ricoh as it gives some peace of mind.... of course I don't know how good the Ricoh repair services are (and hopefully I will never have to find out).... but it's there just in case.

Right..... now onto the setup..... something tells me i'm in for a long morning...... :tongue:

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 09:46 AM
ooops - no setup for me.... I have to wait for BMS to open in the new year as I've placed my Sublijet ink order with them over the holiday period so they haven't yet been despatched.... so I'll carry on learning photoshop.... should keep me out of trouble for a while.....

Paul
30-12-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't know if people knew but one additional benefit of the Ricoh printer is that you get a two year (and on-site) warranty straight out of the box (and from Ricoh not the supplier).
is this when used with gel sublimation ink too? or only oem cartridges??

bms
30-12-2011, 12:32 PM
isthis whenused with gel sublimation ink too? or only oem cartridges??

Currently only 1 year from authorised dealers. Ricoh invalidate the warranty as soon as SubliJet inks are installed.

Mark - don't install the cartridges that came with that printer.

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Paul - i'm guessing that if non Ricoh supplies are used anything to do with the ink delivery system won't be covered as I will have invalidated the warranty by using non-Ricoh stuff (thats where Sawgrass come in - they cover this part for 12 months). If its anything else to do with the printer electrical or mechanical it is covered (I just telephoned the technical support line to check).... if anything goes wrong I will hide the sublijet ink in the first instance hahaha

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Hi Martin - nothing installed yet - i've just unpacked and placed into position. When the sub ink arrives I will go through the setup routine....

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 12:36 PM
PS Martin - any chance of a quick prioritisation of my order when you open in Jan - pretty please :smile:

bms
30-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Paul - i'm guessing that if non Ricoh supplies are used anything to do with the ink delivery system won't be covered as I will have invalidated the warranty by using non-Ricoh stuff (thats where Sawgrass come in - they cover this part for 12 months). If its anything else to do with the printer electrical or mechanical it is covered (I just telephoned the technical support line to check).... if anything goes wrong I will hide the sublijet ink in the first instance hahaha

Previous experience suggests the contrary! But let's hope they've changed their policies.

bms
30-12-2011, 12:41 PM
PS Martin - any chance of a quick prioritisation of my order when you open in Jan - pretty please :smile:
It will leave us the day we open as there are plenty in stock.

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Fingers crossed I hope I never have to find out.....

Mark Clayton
30-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks Martin - that a great help.... I'm chomping at the bit ready to produce my first mug.... done the design playing around in photoshop (just few simple pics of my son with some text)

Shutz
09-01-2012, 08:57 PM
What happened! How was the printer, it must be up and running now!! And can I be bold and ask what sort of money you paid for it. I see on ebay, new ones are going for £150 but other prices seem to be as high as £350!

Cheers
Paul

Mark Clayton
09-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Hi Paul - so far so good - really not too difficult to setup and i've printed a dozen or so mugs so far and touch wood each one has come out really good.... I shopped around and got the printer from oyyy.co.uk (they are selling for £127.45 + VAT). See this link http://www.oyyy.co.uk/ricoh-aficio-gx-e3300n I haven't any experience of other dye sub printers to compare it too so I can only give you my opinion on the Ricoh (but to be honest I bought it based on the advice of some members of this forum and to be honest they were spot on in their evaluations of the printer - i'm really pleased with it so far). Hope this helps :smile:

Mark Clayton
09-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Just took took a quick look on google shopping to see what deals are around.... you can pick one up for about £130 now including VAT - e.g. http://www.cleverboxes.com/p-137481-966333-ricoh-aficio-gx-e3300n-a4-colour-gelsprinter-printer-network-ready-ricoh-click-service.aspx i've never bought from that supplier but if you shop around you can certainly pick one up for a good price

bms
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
What happened! How was the printer, it must be up and running now!! And can I be bold and ask what sort of money you paid for it. I see on ebay, new ones are going for £150 but other prices seem to be as high as £350!

Cheers
Paul

Bear in mind that Ricoh printers don't come with sublimation inks for £150. The inks will add around a further £190 to the cost price of the printer. So you'll see Ricoh GXe3300's for sale for as little as £130/150 from a printer company, but with sublimation inks they will start at around £310

cardman
10-01-2012, 10:27 PM
190 for ink ???? and how long would these inks last for - example how many cups at full coverage

smitch6
10-01-2012, 10:33 PM
i don't have a ricoh but i have read previous posts
the 1st set doesn't last long as it's got to prime the unit
so it'll use i think about 50% of the 1st set of carts

but after that i have no idea hopefully someone who has 1 will pop along soon :)

bms
10-01-2012, 10:41 PM
190 for ink ???? and how long would these inks last for - example how many cups at full coverage

This guide will give you an indication of the cost per page print using the GXe3300...
http://sawgrasseurope.indigofiles.com/technical_support/costs/Ricoh_GXe3300N_Cost_Per_Print.pdf

If the 6" x 6" medium coverage (possibly the best approximation for a mug image in terms of ink coverage) image is about 14p then doing the maths this would make well over 1000 mugs. Only a guide...

Mark Clayton
11-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Everything that people have said in terms of setup I have experienced - when you put the sub cartridges in the Ricoh for the first time it fills up the supply feed system so uses about half of the ink in the cartridges (the ink isn't wasted as it's just filling up the long tubes inside the printer).... just means the initial outlay is higher as the first set of ink needs replacing quicker but the cost per unit produced is not affected as the ink is still in the printer - it hasn't gone anywhere. Not sure how many prints I can make with the remaining ink in my first set of cartridges but I will give some more precise feedback once I get some replacement ink warnings. I'm gong to order my second set from BMS next week some time so I have some spares on the shelf - don't want to get caught out by running short on ink.