PDA

View Full Version : China mugs - update

harlequeen
31-12-2011, 09:28 PM
I bought half a dozen china mugs to try to print, using my standard mug press and some extra silicon sheets. After I completely messed up 3 by not pressing for long enough at high temperature, I got one which was OK.

Then I tried a different design and the colours were a bit washed out, but the thing that bothered me was that there was an in intermittent blue line along the top of the mug where the silicon sheet ends. It looked like blue biro ink, but I hadn't used biro anywhere and there was none on the sheets. My first goes at china mugs hasn't made me want to try again really. I think buying the proper sleeve would have been a better idea, but didn't want to spend that sort of money just to do 6 mugs.
Changing the press sleeve seems too much hassle for the odd china mug.

Anyway, as they say, you get what you pay for. I was disappointed, but it has taught me a lesson, maybe.

Cheers

Paula

sarahjayne
04-01-2012, 11:25 PM
thanks for that - I want to try china mugs (mainly because my mum loved her Xmas mug but would now like 6 in China, as apparently tea is much nicer in them - personally, give me a workman's brew anyday but there you go) and would have probably done the same but I guess it will have to be a different heat sleeve.
Anyone else succesfully done this with a regular sleeve?
thanks

Justin
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I've done a couple in a standard size heat press with additional inserts but not easy to get right. i found there's quite a slim area I could print onto due to the top lip and lower taper of the mug. I steer clear of them wherever I can but if a customer wants one I keep a few in stock just in case ;-)