PDA

View Full Version : Mugs not printing correctly (pics included)

cardman
06-01-2012, 01:42 PM
tried everythign just cant seem to get it any better

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/img5582s.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/img5585z.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/img5586c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/img5588u.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/img5589o.jpg/

the cups im using do not have any branding on the box - just says Birmingham (made in china) on the box
The paper im using is Transfer Paper for dye sublimation printing 120 grams A4 (the make is called SIGNAL)
Printing using epson s22
and the mugpress i uploaded a pic so u can see which one i have (the expres)

(sorry wrong section - meant to post in printer problems section)

Andrew
06-01-2012, 02:31 PM
What time and temp are you on. Looks like not enough heat getting to the mug as you can see the element marks. The rounded marks at the top also indicate that mug might not be positioned in far enough to the press. Extra heat and/or time will create a bolder more complete image but might be trial and error with your specific press. Which press are you using? The element could also be another factor to take into account if it is spreading heat evenly.

cardman
06-01-2012, 02:33 PM
xpres mugpress - check pic 5

also i leave mug in for 300 secs at 200degress

for the mug express there is a whgite stone - do i sit the cup on top of this stone ???

Andrew
06-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Temp should be more than enough and both should probably be lower which now leads to the question..... how much pressure is placed on the mug when clamp is closed?

Andrew
06-01-2012, 02:37 PM
That image 5 shows the temp at 38c? Do you let the press get upto temp before putting a mug or try and start printing from cold?

Andrew
06-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Is the white stone fixed in? Never used 1 of those presses. How far up does the mug go when sat on it? Seems strange to have stone that absorbs heat rather than a rubber stopper or something. Certainly looks like the mugs have been printed up to high to me from the pics. The curve faded bit is the end of the heat source.

cardman
06-01-2012, 02:53 PM
white stone is not fixed it can be moved
as for pressure i cant tighten it any more - put it this way i cannot even rotate the cup once i put handle down as its that tight
i also let the machine get upto temp before i put cup in

just cant figure out why they not sticking to cups kk
i mean if u look at the actual print then id say it cant be print quality as some is coming out kk

Andrew
06-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Try it without the stone and centre the mug into the element so you have equal gap top and bottom. The mug handle should be secure and not slack as you have done. Parts of the mug have printed fine so you need to eliminate other possible issues like positioning before looking at the element itself. When you do get print problems is it in a consistant area of the mug. Have you tried turning the mug upside down etc to see if it changes?

cardman
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
no never tried turning mug upside down at all

will try that and post a pic when done

cheers

sarahjayne
06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Try it without the stone and centre the mug into the element so you have equal gap top and bottom. The mug handle should be secure and not slack as you have done. Parts of the mug have printed fine so you need to eliminate other possible issues like positioning before looking at the element itself. When you do get print problems is it in a consistant area of the mug. Have you tried turning the mug upside down etc to see if it changes?
good answer. I'd assume the stone is interfering with the heat and shouldn't be in there at all.

Paul
06-01-2012, 03:27 PM
I just noticed on the picture with your mug press sort of rubber sheet. is this fited to the blanket or just extra bit you use ?

you also said you got some kind of Birmingham mugs. I never heard of them. is it possible you trying to print on wrong mugs??

cardman
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM
i changed all sorts of stuff - and still they not coming out perfect
@ Paul - the mugs where sold to me with this setup as Sublim mugs - on brown box it just says Birmingham ZZ made in china
Box is full of little white boxes holding the cups

The rubber sheet is fitted to the actual press as the thin rubber bit is what warms up (heat pad) the foam pads behind it are the cushioning

stuart
06-01-2012, 07:15 PM
the stone stays in
we have the same press,we press for 3 mins at 180
stu

Reg
06-01-2012, 07:47 PM
The first press I bought did that and also showed the element marks on the paper as a burn I had to replace the blanket.

Paul
06-01-2012, 08:14 PM
It may well be the mug press fault. is good to make sure and then contact the ebay seller if sold as a working machine.

cardman
06-01-2012, 09:20 PM
yeh im think its the burner as well as the prints are coming out ok from the printer
on the blanket is little imperfections - i think its these that are causing the marks on the cup

As for the seller - not a lot can do as brought it off private seller so i have no comeback (infact brought last sunday so less than week old)

Infact i just checked his returns policy and he does accept returns.

But here goes - ive already used the stuff off him to make cups which none have come out.
Can i still return ???

smitch6
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
if you paid via paypal you are covered
but if you bought direct of ebay they won't help obvioulsy

and you are allowed a reasonable amount of time to test equipment

Paul
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
yeah. same assteve! if payed with paypal then you covered no matter what ;)
is sold as working and is not now :)
end off.

cardman
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
no paypal LOL
i had to travel and pick it up
was cash on pickup im afraid
But he does have a return policy but i have obviously been using it to print stuff thats how know its the mat now as the same imperfections are on the mat as well

I brought the complete setup off this guy on ebay

Sale date: 01/01/12

and i picked it up few days after the post ended - so i not even had it a week as yet.

Just noticed this on his sell post on ebay :

Return policy

Returns are accepted – please see the details below;Items must be returned to in an unused condition as new condition with all tags ect where possible. You must contact us within 7 days of receiving an item in order to returning it. Personalised items cannot be returned unless there has been a problem caused by us. Refunds are only given when goods are received by us. All return postage costs to return the items are the responsibility of the buyer. We will replace any damaged or faulty items. Please contact us before leaving negative feedback as we always try to resolve any problems.

mrs maggot
06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
when you picked it all up did he take you through the process, and did you print up a mug or two while you were there ?? if not, he may well have known that things were not right with the machine

Renniwano
07-01-2012, 12:06 AM
States he will replace damaged or faulty items.. which you wouldn't know without using something that it's faulty..

I would send him a polite email explaining the issue and if you don't get a reply that he'll replace it for you.. then have a word with trading standards as it's not fit for the purpose it was purchased for..

cardman
07-01-2012, 03:00 AM
yeh he did try to print up a mug (infact about 4) but they came out basically same as mine but he convinced me that cause the xpres had not been used much it needed time to warm up and he only had time to go though the basics with me.
He offered support over phone if i got stuck etc setting it all up

Ill give it a try trying to get hold of him though ebay - but dont hold out much as once they got money - they dont care
Looks like i just spent 585 quid for nothing (that was cost of full setup + laptop)

Update:

Just sent him email though ebay but it says he away till the 9th so the date of the email on ebay is 6th which should keep me in the 7 days return gap.

mrs maggot
07-01-2012, 11:43 AM
i would get a new mug (maybe one of corelgraphs free samples) and print up somthing on a lighter background than that blue, on a new sheet of paper - from a different supplier - again perhaps a sample. alternatively ask someone else to print up a couple of mug wraps for you, using their printer and paper and post it to you. you will then know if the press is ok, as you can print up a new mug and one of the sellers mugs using someone elses proven paper and ink

cardman
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
i would get a new mug (maybe one of corelgraphs free samples) and print up somthing on a lighter background than that blue, on a new sheet of paper - from a different supplier - again perhaps a sample. alternatively ask someone else to print up a couple of mug wraps for you, using their printer and paper and post it to you. you will then know if the press is ok, as you can print up a new mug and one of the sellers mugs using someone elses proven paper and ink
sounds like a good idea m8 but if im to use the 7 days return im gonna have t0 act fast because 7 days is tommorow.
Ill print something today such as just text going round the cup etc and post a pic.

mrs maggot
07-01-2012, 12:40 PM
but if he is away, then i am sure that ebay will make it 7 days that he is available for not just 7 days, why not put up a member to member request for someone near you who might have a spare mug and print you could collect and press ??

cardman
07-01-2012, 12:59 PM
good idea will try that but chances of someone on here living nr rochdale are pretty slim :)

cheers though

Done :

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?3759-Member-to-member-request-(print-cup)&p=35914#post35914

mrs maggot
07-01-2012, 06:39 PM
good luck, you could maybe have a look at people profiles just by skimming through ?? and see if anyone close to you

cardman
07-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Updated post

Here is more pics - i have listened to what people have said and messed again with the press.
I have even made it tighter so more heat goes on the cup and cant add any more pressure.
If you look there is still bits missing around the edges
I have looked at the heat press mat and there is similar marks there so id have to say it was down to the press as from the printer side of things everything seems to be working upto that point

Can someone in the know explain a bit who knows what they on about as the guy who i brought the system off wants a link to this thread so he can see what im on about,saying cups are not coming out correct
Look at red one - color is faded yet printed correctly and also shows the fadedness around edges a lot more.

ANy ideas now - or am i flogging a dead horse and wasting cups

I do appreciate all your help and info as i am new to all this

Thanks

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/39/img5590g.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/img5591m.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/img5592b.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/img5593ou.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/img5594g.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/img5595h.jpg/

Just like to say ignore the template on the cups - its just a tester - waste of time trying to find a decent design till i know cups print well
Also one full box of cups of i got with this setup do not print on.(Not one cup)
Print goes though - attach to heatpress etc and wait then take off - no ink on cup whatsoever
Anyone else ever had that problem ?

sarahjayne
08-01-2012, 12:00 AM
My press has limitations in how near the top and bottom and also how to near to the handles - I can go if doing solid colour, it is less apparent when I do pictures (think there's some images in the gallery showing the probs I had). I think now I use a print area of approx 20.5 cm by 9cm when possible.
As for no ink at all on cup, it sounds like uncoated cups to me ?!?

Paul
08-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I.say heat blenket is knackered as the middle of the mugs look not to bad. Is jst the edges dont jeat up enough. May be expensive to.change.

Regards to other mugs dont print it looks like they not coated for sublimation.

cardman
08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
paul i think the template is one of yours from your website
i set the size to 20 x9 to elimate edge problems but as u can see its still happening

Paul
08-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I know one thnig... This is no template problem :-)

cardman
08-01-2012, 12:07 AM
cant be print problem really as they sort of coming out so have to elimate that
is nothing else in the chain - except the heat press left now.
As for that box of cups am well annoyed - is 72 cups in that box as well

you ever feel your throwing money down drain :)

smitch6
08-01-2012, 12:14 AM
sure do bud :)
i remember when i 1st started out i thought i could print onto black T's
i didn't do my homework and read all about it before hand lol

but i will say i'm quite happy doing white now as it's the in thing these days

sarahjayne
08-01-2012, 12:16 AM
As for that box of cups am well annoyed - is 72 cups in that box as well

you ever feel your throwing money down drain :)

YEP. I bought a fleabay second hand 30/30 heat press and had it couriered as was too far away to collect. It arrived and after a week I cleared space for it, set it up and waited for it to heat up. and waited. and waited. Eventually rang seller - told me was working fine when packed and must be DHL's fault. Took it to electrician. Replaced relay switch. No joy. So then told probably element. Spent £85 plus postage for element. Guess what? No heat ....
Sometimes you got to roll with the punches - I could never have been able to afford a new 30/30 press, tried to shortcut and still ended up buying a cheap Chinese press in the end.
Sometimes you got to be pragmatic (and file a claim with Paypal - I didn't)

sarahjayne
08-01-2012, 12:34 AM
i know one thnig... This is no template problem :-)

lol........

cardman
08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
need help here as searched google cant even find the machine never mind the heat mat

look at image

the little bit in middle (the rubber mat is the heat element) - where do i get one from if i was to replace it ??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/img5596j.jpg/

added another pic of mat

seems the whole middle is the heat mat.
The thick rubber is the cushioning and the thin bit is the element incased in rubber

look carefully u can see the wire for the element down below

JSR
08-01-2012, 12:41 AM
If you think you have a heat-press problem, the easiest solution is to get yourself one of these: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/657/mug-clamp-80mm.htm

Put your mug and paper in the wrap, bung it in your household oven for 20mins or so, and see what the result is. In an oven, the entire mug heats up to the same temperature but a mug press is cooler the closer you get to the edge of the blanket - an old press or cheap heat blanket might not be hot enough where you need it to be.

If the result from the oven looks okay then you know you have a heat press problem. If the result doesn't look okay, then look at the mugs first. Either way, you'll know more than you know now without wasting any more mugs.

sarahjayne
08-01-2012, 12:48 AM
need help here as searched google cant even find the machine never mind the heat mat

look at image

the little bit in middle (the rubber mat is the heat element) - where do i get one from if i was to replace it ??

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/img5596j.jpg/

added another pic of mat

seems the whole middle is the heat mat.
The thick rubber is the cushioning and the thin bit is the element incased in rubber

look carefully u can see the wire for the element down below

Somebody (and I can't off the top my head think who) replied to you in the past 2 days to say they had the same mug press.
Have a look back and send them a PM - they might be able to help.
It was when you mentioned the stone in the base and I thought was a bit strange.

cardman
08-01-2012, 12:53 AM
was a guy named stuart in this thread i sent him a pm
his orginal post was here : http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?3751-Mugs-not-printing-correctly-(pics-included)&p=35831&viewfull=1#post35831

sarahjayne
08-01-2012, 01:08 AM
If - as it seems, it is a blanket problem then you have 2 options as I see it. Claim against Paypal (state you will return item at sellers expense) and wait for it to be resolved. In the meantime buy a new mugpress, people will advise what they recommend - I chose Coralgraph and happy enough with it as a newbie. Or fix the one you have.
The other option are buying a couple of cactus wraps like JSR suggested - if I had known about them, I would have had them before jumping in with a press (I could cook the dinner and make a mug for the coffee course - now that's multi tasking)
Good luck whatever way you decide

cardman
08-01-2012, 01:13 AM
well the person i brought it off has been in touch and is sure he can sort out a new blanket etc for it as he may have spares
He also going to replace the cups that dont print so some good news for me anyway,as my experience on ebay is people are usually unhelpful once they
got the money for the goods.
Ill let u know how this guy comes though but i have faith in him as he was a decent person when i went to his house and his emails have been helpful and not trying
to fob me off

@sarahjayne

love that bit about cooking tea and doing cups at same time :)

once they cooled down u can make the brew as well :)

pisquee
08-01-2012, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=cardman;35951]need help here as searched google cant even find the machine never mind the heat mat

That's an A Adkins Beta Mug Press, rebadged as Xpres. British made and good quality, worth in my opinion spending a bit extra to get it back to full working order.

See towards bottom of this page http://www.aadkins.com/beta_range.htm

cardman
08-01-2012, 01:26 AM
thats a big help thanks a lot m8

(Rep given to all in thread)

EDIT

i see the exact machine but not the element for sale.
Gonna have to contact company as when clicking as order online it just gives the option of ordering the full machine

thanks though

JackB
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Why not email a picture of the press to Expres support and ask if they still sell the element and if so how much.

Jack

cardman
08-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Why not email a picture of the press to Expres support and ask if they still sell the element and if so how much.

Jack
the seller who i brought the setup off already has and he is going to get back in touch with on monday to tell me the outcome.

cardman
12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
still no news on this as yet

Seller and i both contacted Adkins last week but no reply at all

pisquee
13-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Phone them

Andrew
13-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Yep, adkins are very helpful if you speak to them. If you need to speak to a technical division ask for their direct number as well rather than wait for them. Avoid lunch time as I remember I could never get hold of people I needed then.

Keith W
13-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi there, Just spotted this thread. I have that same press and i press mine for four mins at a temp of 200.
Just try extending your time a little.
The only thing with this press i found, you cant press right up to the handle on the cup
hope this helps

KTB (Keith the beard is my local Skye name)

cardman
13-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi there, Just spotted this thread. I have that same press and i press mine for four mins at a temp of 200.
Just try extending your time a little.
The only thing with this press i found, you cant press right up to the handle on the cup
hope this helps

KTB (Keith the beard is my local Skye name)
I know what u mean about not being able to do full press upto th handle
I just made a shorter template of 20x9
I managed to do some text on cups and it came out kk at 3 mins but if i do at 4 mins it leaves a sort of heat mark on the cup and browns the paper to a crisp.