PDA

View Full Version : epson vs ricoh printers

colglyn
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi all, opions only, i've been subbing for 4 years and in that amount of time i've had 5 epson printers, first printer was epson 1800, now on epson 1400, i find these ok, but in the last 11 months i've brought 3 epson 1400 printers, first printer was in feb 2011 lasted me till nov 2011 (will replace as the place i brought it gave extended warranty no matter what happens exchange policy), 2nd printer brought nov 2011 lasted me till jan 2012 (2 months, motor went on it, and didn't take warranty out on it) but it did it's job and printed over 700+ images for me during the xmas sales, brought new in jan 2012.
i've heard ricoh are much better, and im humming and arrring about swapping over to ricoh, but i problem is this, they cost more and i don't know how well they last with big bulk printing, i print about 5 images daily (not a lot) but over time it adds up, and obviously at xmas time the last quarter of the year (oct to Dec) it is more like 15 to 25 a day.
anyway my question is, is the ricoh better or would it be better to stick with epson and purchase 2 a year, how long would the ricoh last, what is like printing loads of stuff daily, any info much appreaciated (sorry for any spelling mistakes)
thanks
harry

Paul
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Harry! you just opened new pandora box buddy! ;)

I noticed you like your A3 so in my opinion buy a brother. you can pick one up under £100 and get the XL refillables. no mss with ciss any more! they hold about 90ML of ink each. get custom ICC done and lought at the rest ;)

I know is not what you wanted to hear but this is the option of my choice.

PAul

cardman
08-01-2012, 04:30 PM
got link to brother printer in question.Does that use sub ink refillables and how much are they to replace as this all has an effect on overall cost

Justin
08-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Many members are turning to the Ricoh now, consistent print quality, not as bad on head clogging, fast print and so on. My personal opinion is that I tend to stick to the Epsons, mainly because I prefer the 6 colour print over the 4. I've had the usual problems in the past with Epsons but I also had problems with a couple of Ricohs that I tested when they first came out.

I'm about to try again with a newer version of the Ricoh for my own piece of mind but whilst ever the Epson are sat there working as well as they do I'm quite happy.

JSR
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I switched from Epson to Brother a little over a year ago. My current one cost me £22. If it fails in 6 months, what have I lost? £22. Big deal.

But ... and it's a big "but" ... you'll get no support whatsoever and no colour correction profile. I didn't make the switch lightly, but I don't look back now at all. I've had enough with paying £300+ for printers. Or faffing about trying to convince myself that a CISS is the best option when it so clearly isn't.

Epson printers are super-fine if you use OEM inks and have a penchant for regular photos. But it's always going to be a case of fitting a square peg in a round hole, because there is no printer that's been designed for dye-sub inks - not Epson, not Ricoh, not Brother, not anything that'll fit on your desk. We're always going to be at the mercy of whatever choice we make. One person's utopian choice may be another person's gates of hell. You pays your money, you takes your chances... my philosophy is just to pay as little as possible and accept that it'll go belly up at some stage. Because it will, so you may as well be ready for it.