PDA

View Full Version : Printing on mug base?

Martinx
09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm interested in printing on the bottom of a mug but have a few questions.

1. Does the sub coating process cover the whole mug, including the base?
2. What's the best way to get a good contact between print and bottom of mug?
3. I assume I would have to use an halogen type oven process?

I couldn't find a post on this so your help is appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

smitch6
09-01-2012, 06:54 PM
this has been discussed on here somewhere :)
i think the outcome was water decal or slide decal or whatever it was called lol

i don't think there's a wrap available that does the base :(

pisquee
09-01-2012, 07:26 PM
What was also discussed was how good a sublimation coating would actually be available on the base of the mug to be able to sublimate into.

Martinx
09-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks guys! I will have to look into the water decals
but I assume this will have an impact in the dishwasher.

I was hoping there was a way of sublimating the
base.

All the best
Martin

mrs maggot
09-01-2012, 08:43 PM
people must do them as with the "twat" ones that are around, they are perfectly smooth rather than feeling a decal,

Martinx
09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
mmmm that's what I thought.

AdamB
09-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I had a thought about this the other day but haven't put it into practice .............

You can buy those ceramic pens that you can write onto ceramics (obviously) - why not create a template in vinyl, stick this onto the bottom of the mug and them colour it in like a stencil?

It might work, but like I said - not put into practice yet .........

Paul
10-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Warm. Very warma adam ;-)
On old forum this was one of the most visited treads. I come up with idea that my old.mate eggplant used. Ruber stamp :-) try with water proof ink or i used cheap black sublimation ink ;-) worked great but if ther is nothing heavieish on the print in the oven then lettees are quite blured. But still ok and readable. I created round template with www address and name. Was very profesional and permament :-) i used 11oz.that time andd all of them where coated on the bottom.

smitch6
10-01-2012, 08:33 AM
it must be possible somewhere somehow because the orca mugs have a stamp????????????

Andrew
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Orca and "Twat" are probably Pad printed on. Digital transfer decal would do the job if you had a hot enough oven.

Dunk
29-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Quick solution we use for our web address etc is clear round stickers that we run through the laser. They have nautical grade glue and survive the dishwasher perfectly.

Other than that marbou (sp?) do air curing pens and paint for ceramics that cure in 72 hours, just use a john bull type stamp. They do a huge range of colours and are pretty cheap too.