PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation printers working environment

dixie
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody as i am new on this forum. Recently started thinking about starting up a little sublimation business, have read LOADS on the net about various presses, printers etc but one thing I couldn't find an answer for was whether sublimation printers will work properly in temperatures around 10-12 degrees centigrade. I want to set it all up in a garage (lucky enough to have a huge one;) but without any heating installed there. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

dixie

Justin
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
My last business unit had no heating and got incredibly cold in winter. I never had any problems, the only possible problem is sometimes with your paper, if it gets damp. Also, some blanks, tees etc. may need a quick pre-press to get rid of any moisture. I don't think you'll have these problems at the temp. you mention.

Welcome to the forum!

dixie
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks very much Justin, I think I will proceed with buying the equipment then :) probably in about a week or two I will flood you all with a bunch of obvious questions you have all seen zillions of times ;) but promise before that I will skim through the forum to look for the answers myself... thanks again :)

smitch6
11-01-2012, 08:05 PM
good question Dixie and welcome, good luck with ur new venture

pisquee
11-01-2012, 08:21 PM
If you can afford to buy some bits of wood, and cheap insulation, you could really help things out. If you insulate well (and with subsidised insulation available cheap) then you will be surprised how warm a heat press kicking out 200 degrees C heat can keep a room!

dixie
13-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Good idea with the insulation will have to look into that. Cheers guys you have been a great help!

dixie

pisquee
14-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Although it's currently winter, out studio which is insulated, does get very cold when the presses or heating isn't on, but we did recently leave our printers (sub and normal inks) idle for a couple of weeks, and they printed perfect nozzle checks when we next needed them. Although, we use Epson Pro wide format printers, and wide format inks, and I do wonder about the quality differences between the Pro Wide printers and the home/office ones lots of people use, as well as the 'domestic' Sawgrass and 'wide format/industry inks'