PDA

View Full Version : Epson d92 - good for beginners and a small business?

dixie
12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi!

Was wondering what you might think about that printer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170762511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3542wt_932

I (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170762511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3542wt_932)t would be used to do several prints a day i would imagine. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dixie

Paul
12-01-2012, 09:45 PM
i would say is worth just to get it for the inks ;) almost full bottles there as well.
but i am not sure about thisprinter as i dont think it was supported one. I may be wrong but if I am right then there is no official profile for this. but is worth to ask seller. but i doubt it as the mug this seller try to show look crap :)

bms
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Hi!

Was wondering what you might think about that printer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170762511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3542wt_932

I (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170762511248?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3542wt_932)t would be used to do several prints a day i would imagine. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dixie

The D92 isn't a supported printer.

It looks like this seller bought the printer and an empty CISS from somewhere and then bought sublimation inks to go in it (the printer and inks would not have been supplied as a package from one supplier). You'll be colour profiling this yourself if you go down this route and buyer beware when getting a second hand Epson printer.

Paul
12-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Profile is not a problem as i could create you one. but printer is the problem. well... it may be in nearest future :) you dont know how much work this printer done so we dont know whats the waste ink counter look like :)
I would ask about "use before" date of the ink too. if date ok then I would buy it and get brand new printer from elswhere. but this is what I would do :)

pisquee
13-01-2012, 12:35 AM
looking at Ebay prices for sake of comparison ...
New Epson S22 four colour A4 printer = £30 approx
CISS for about from Coralgraph = £30 approx
"Grey market" Ink set = £60 approx
Custom ICC Profile £20 approx

So, for about the same price, you can get everything brand new rather than used, without the worry of how much something has being used, or getting it and finding it doesn't work well etc.

bms
13-01-2012, 08:48 AM
"Grey market" Ink set = £60

Careful ! ;)

dixie
13-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Ok thanks everybody for much valued input. Right now I am going to shock you with my ignorance and ask a couple of questions ;)

1. Whats an ICC profile and do I need it ?

2.CISS - is it the set of inks with the "distributor" sort of thing (the thing that inks go into) ?

My next question was going to be what printer would you recommend instead but Pisquee already recommended s22? Is it a good choice for somebody like me? (requirements in the first post) ? If not, what printer would be good ?

thanks

dixie

bms
13-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Ok thanks everybody for much valued input. Right now I am going to shock you with my ignorance and ask a couple of questions ;)

2.CISS - is it the set of inks with the "distributor" sort of thing (the thing that inks go into) ?

My next question was going to be what printer would you recommend instead but Pisquee already recommended s22? Is it a good choice for somebody like me? (requirements in the first post) ? If not, what printer would be good ?

thanks

dixie

I wouldn't recommend the S22 if you are a novice starting up. This printer isn't recommended for sublimation printing - we received many calls from customers using Epson S21s (the S22 is the latest replacement) having difficulties and having to spend twice to get working. That said, there are a couple of members here using the S22, but the majority will be using recommended and supported Ricoh or Epson printers. If you want to go cheap then go S22, but those that buy cheap often buy twice.

For simple setup, ease of use, full support on the forum and from the supplier you buy from then I'd seriously consider the Ricoh GXe3300. It works, the colour profiling is done for you - so that the image you see on screen is the same as is on your sublimation item (an ICC profile or profile software is designed to get this colour matching right), and I would have thought that many people starting up want something that works out of the box.

pisquee
14-01-2012, 12:12 AM
I was giving the example of that printer as an example price of a cheap one you could use, it was by no means a recommendation of what I think is a good printer to use, sorry.
I was neither 'recommending' grey market inks, but just again using them for price comparison purposes, although the set of 4 for £60 aren't on Ebay anymore.

JSR
14-01-2012, 04:22 PM

thanks

dixie
There are two paths open to you. One is cheap and complicated, the other is expensive but supported.

You can use an unsupported cheap printer, seek out unsupported cheap ink, create your own profile, and carry on hunky dory. But you need to have basic knowledge behind you to do this. If you're in the position of not knowing what an ICC profile is, and you've not heard of "CISS" before, then it's probably best that you avoid this option.

If you're starting out and have very little knowledge, your best option is to buy a supported "package" from a reputable seller. They will supply you with everything you need - a supported printer, a supported inkset, a supported ink delivery system. And, if you get stuck or have any questions, any reputable seller will help you out, answer your questions, and guide you through everything.

Once you've been through this phase and you've learned all that needs to be learned, then you might decide it's time to stray from the path and seek out cheaper equipment/inks/etc.

If you just dive into the "unsupported" arena from day one, then the chances are that you'll buy the wrong things, struggle to get it working right, and end up buying all over again. It could end up costing you more, not less.

Yes, a "supported" package does cost you quite a lot in the short term - but considering the knowledge you'll build up along the way, and that there will be a reputable seller just a phone call away to support you, it's probably not an unjustifiable cost if you see a future for your business.

dixie
17-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks JSR i see your point and it is definitely a valid one. I am new to all this and i want something that would be working straight out of the box ideally.

bms : is that what you were talking about ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ricoh-Aficio-GX-e3300N-GelSprinter-Printer-Colour-3600-x-1200-dpi-Print-/380401889597?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item5891b8313d#ht_4345wt_901

p (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ricoh-Aficio-GX-e3300N-GelSprinter-Printer-Colour-3600-x-1200-dpi-Print-/380401889597?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item5891b8313d#ht_4345wt_901)isquee : no worries mate, my bad for not reading the post with understanding ;) thanks for clearing that up for me.. :)

smitch6
17-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Ian did post a link to a rich on ebay if your after one :)

dixie
17-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Where can i find it ? Is it also somewhere on this forum ? Thanks smitch6 :)

smitch6
17-01-2012, 06:07 PM
this is the post
but looks like it might not be so cheap anymore it's up to £155 now
but it has got the sub ink with it which is the expensive bit

bms
17-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks JSR i see your point and it is definitely a valid one. I am new to all this and i want something that would be working straight out of the box ideally.

bms : is that what you were talking about ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ricoh-Aficio-GX-e3300N-GelSprinter-Printer-Colour-3600-x-1200-dpi-Print-/380401889597?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item5891b8313d#ht_4345wt_901

p (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ricoh-Aficio-GX-e3300N-GelSprinter-Printer-Colour-3600-x-1200-dpi-Print-/380401889597?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_ JN&hash=item5891b8313d#ht_4345wt_901)isquee : no worries mate, my bad for not reading the post with understanding ;) thanks for clearing that up for me.. :)

Yes that's the model. You'll need a set of sublimation cartridges as well which will add around £186-£192 inc vat to the price. So that printer plus sublimation cartridges will cost you £319 at least plus delivery on the ink cartridges. Or you can buy the Ricoh printer from one of the sublimation suppliers and save buying from two different sources. Buying in one place might be even cheaper than buying separately. We do a package of the printer and SubliJet-R cartridges - just search for the GXe3300 on our website for instance.