PDA

View Full Version : Vertical or horiontal mug press?

4binlids
13-01-2012, 03:10 PM
I am going to dip into the world of mug printing and wondered if I might get some opinions of pros and cons of vertical vs horizontal mug presses. From what I can see the vertical press has restrictions in as much as you would be limited as to the height of mugs you can print whereas with a horizontal press there are no restrictions as you could always print an image in the middles. Against that though I have read that mags may move slightly in a horizontal one. This is an unknown quantity for me and would really appreciate some advise. I would be producing predominantly illustrations etc opposed to photos and mainly 10 0z mugs and money boxes. Also any recommendations for presses would be welcome. Many thanks.

logobear
13-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi,
Your budget will be the governing factor, and will dictate your choice of supplier too.
Lowest price from unknown supplier with no backup via ebay, - possibly second hand.
Then there are many good suppliers that contribute regular to this forum with a known product, training, backup, and supplies.
Then there are the premium press products direct from the suppliers Geo Knights/ Adkins, - and many others.
Your bread and butter will be standard 10/11oz mugs, there are maybe a dozen different mug size/shapes out there, but 90% or more of your work will be standard, prices are lowest!
I suggest you talk to suppliers until you find one you like and trust and consider their complete offering.
I don't think the orientation of the mug is especially important.
Can I suggest you start talks with:
BMS - http://www.printerowners.co.uk
T (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/)he magic Touch http://www.themagictouch.co.uk/
I (http://www.themagictouch.co.uk/) can personally recommend both, and will have been doing personalisation for 20 years this december.
If you can visit the supplier for training, bite their hand off, count on wasting the first box, or more to perfect your art, there is much to learn, and this forum is a fantastic resource, search first for your problem before asking the same question over again.
Good Luck
my 2p
Phil

bms
13-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I am going to dip into the world of mug printing and wondered if I might get some opinions of pros and cons of vertical vs horizontal mug presses. From what I can see the vertical press has restrictions in as much as you would be limited as to the height of mugs you can print whereas with a horizontal press there are no restrictions as you could always print an image in the middles. Against that though I have read that mags may move slightly in a horizontal one. This is an unknown quantity for me and would really appreciate some advise. I would be producing predominantly illustrations etc opposed to photos and mainly 10 0z mugs and money boxes. Also any recommendations for presses would be welcome. Many thanks.

We've printed with both vertical and horizontal mug presses and the results have been the same. They all close/ have the clamp in the centre so the pressure will be evenly spread regardless of whichever style you use. The only limitation I've come across on some vertical mug presses is that the base of the mug has to sit on a button to make it work, which seems a bit bizarre. The other thing to consider is the operation of the mug presses - do they have 2 or 3 settings (2 settings often are temp and time, whereas 3 settings are idle temp, operating temp and time). Basic mug presses require you to start the timer once the temp is reached whereas others do this automatically. Replacement mug blankets need to be factored in so check out the cost of these before buying new (bit like buying a printer - check the cost of consumables before you buy the main machine).

4binlids
13-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm not adverse to buying second hand but if I did this I'd buy a good reliable make. I have a 26 year old Adkins t shirt press and (same) one thats only a couple of years old and the only difference is one is digital - fantastic machines and the older one is still going strong! Same with my old badgemaker which is 10 years old. All these machines knock spots off the cheap chinese imports! Because this is diversifying from my main area of work I really don't want to go mad! This sublimation malarchy is frankly quite baffling and so much for complicated than printing fabrics! :-)

smitch6
13-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi 4blinds
where a bouts in suffolk are you?
welcome to the forum btw
and isn't it luvly being in sunny suffolk :D

Ian M
13-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi Karen & welcome to the forum.
The mug press I have been using for the last few years is the same as at this link http://www.coralgraph.com/heat-press1/mug-press/coral2-mug-stand-press-heat-press-transfer-machine-ce It only does 10oz & 11oz mugs but I have found it to be superb after god knows how many mugs I've pressed with it. I did have to replace the heat blanket only today which cost just under £25.

Paul
13-01-2012, 10:21 PM
and I got one like this: http://www.coralgraph.com/heat-press1/mug-press/digital-dual-function-heat-press-cone-latte-and-standard
b (http://www.coralgraph.com/heat-press1/mug-press/digital-dual-function-heat-press-cone-latte-and-standard)enefit of this horizontal press is you can move your blank side to side if blank is longer then standard mug. like beer stein ;)

4binlids
13-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Hello and thankyou everyone!

Smitch6 I am near Blythburgh/Southwold.

Ian M / Paul - I have been looking at the Coralgraph machines and they seem reputable sellers with good feedback about their machines. I expect that I will only ever print 10 oz mugs and money boxes (thinking of who these will be supplied too) but there again if I purchase a vertical machine I'll definitely only ever print these! At least if I had the horizontal machine I'd have options! I did also look at the press with the conical attachment but I'm guessing the artwork would have to be different to fit the conical mug and not sure I want my brain to take that much strain!

Buying a flatbed press is so much easier!! And don't even get me on sublimation printers cos my brain hurts!!!

4binlids
13-01-2012, 11:28 PM
SMitch6 - sorry, meant to ask whereabouts in our sunny county you are?

Paul
13-01-2012, 11:47 PM
(thinking of who these will be supplied too)
Coralgraph also sell 10oz mugs. and i can say they bloody good.

smitch6
14-01-2012, 09:09 AM
SMitch6 - sorry, meant to ask whereabouts in our sunny county you are?
i'm at the quay in Beccles :)
we live on a boat down here

4binlids
14-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Know it well! What a lovely place to live! :o)

logobear
15-01-2012, 10:43 AM
4blinds. your assumptions about horizontal and vertical are just not right.
I currently have 2 vertical presses, and (with an extra small jacket) I can print anything from expresso upto steins and waterbottles.
The height can be ajusted, or you can put the mug in upside down so the button it sits on goes inside the mug and you control the height you clamp it shut.
Just choose a good brand from a supplier you can talk to.

mrs maggot
17-01-2012, 01:00 PM
same as logo i have one of each, i was lucky enough to win one of the BMS ones, and its a lovely product by i also have a single vertical mug press, which takes large & standard mugs, moneyboxes etc

4binlids
27-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Well - I've nervously put off attempting any mugs until this afternoon. Spookily everything went according to plan! I'm chuffed to bits with how they've turned out. I'll post some photos later on :biggrin:

smitch6
27-01-2012, 05:01 PM
thats brill
it's a lovely feeling when ur 1st good mug comes out and you see how nice it looks :)

Imme
27-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Congratulations on your first successful mugs :smile: I hope that these are the first of many for you.
I've still got my first ever one as a reminder of what not to do!!!!