PDA

View Full Version : craft robo

cardman
17-01-2012, 07:10 PM
my GF wants one so she can do cards etc but ive just read up they cut vinyl as well so reckon i could use it for small logos etc

whats the pitfalls of these machines and is it worth buying

Also i notice the vinyl fo rthem come in a4 sizes - could i not just cut bigger sheets into that size for the robo ?/

anyone who got one - any info would be helpful

also heres what she looking at : http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packb.asp

is the price fine or is there cheaper

Paul
17-01-2012, 07:15 PM
craft robos are fantastic little machines. only down side of them is the size. CR can accept A4 in width and I think up to 1m long media. but it wont cut from edge to edge. this is only 1 bad think about them. rest of them is just great little piece. ;)

regards to cameo I never used this machine but i say is well worth the price! its bigger and can cut from edge to edge. (that's what they say any way :cool: )

accdave
17-01-2012, 07:21 PM
my GF wants one so she can do cards etc but ive just read up they cut vinyl as well so reckon i could use it for small logos etc

whats the pitfalls of these machines and is it worth buying

Also i notice the vinyl fo rthem come in a4 sizes - could i not just cut bigger sheets into that size for the robo ?/

anyone who got one - any info would be helpful

also heres what she looking at : http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packb.asp

is the price fine or is there cheaper

Small logo's ? You can do a lot ore than that :)

I'm hoping to upgrade my Robo to a cameo soon, excellent value for money and the extra width will make a lot of difference

cardman
17-01-2012, 07:28 PM
so i can use garment vinyl in this and cut it from the included software (example logos etc on tops)
Also final can i make my own sheets of a4 or must i buy the ones they sell just for the craft robo ?

Oh yeah and internet is messing up for me -:) === cannot for love of money get on ebay with IE or firefox

accdave
17-01-2012, 07:35 PM
so i can use garment vinyl in this and cut it from the included software (example logos etc on tops)
Also final can i make my own sheets of a4 or must i buy the ones they sell just for the craft robo ?

Oh yeah and internet is messing up for me -:) === cannot for love of money get on ebay with IE or firefox

I never buy the A4 sheets, buy mine by the metre and cut it myself. You can also cut sign vinyl as well.

Worth investing in an A1 version one of these if you're going to cut your own

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/cuttingmats.asp

cardman
17-01-2012, 07:39 PM
accdave if u already have one - what is this print and cut feature they on about - does it mean i can print a picture and it will cut that out
Also if i was doing logos etc does the software that comes with it allow Vectors (EPS files) like flexisign does to be loaded into the software
Also what versions of windows are u on as we on Win 7 64 bit (dont be needing drivers probs)

Scapaflyer
17-01-2012, 07:45 PM
I bought a Craft Robo Silhouette just before xmas for my GF to use for the same purpose of card making. With xmas over I was about to put it away in the cupboard and I had exactly the same thought and I can report it is excellent for small decals and lettering.
I can also tell you that the silhouette studio is just about the most accurate I have used for outline tracing on small jobs.
The only down side I can find is that it is a little slow compared to my larger cutter, but that said I would not be without it.
Just a real shame that the accurate files produced by the software are not compatable with the various software I use on my bigger machine.

All in all a valued addition to my set up, trouble is now I got to get the GF another one to stop her moaning.

mrs maggot
17-01-2012, 07:48 PM
cardman - type craft robo into youtube - plenty of videos of what it can and cant do on there, also uk scrappers forum, has a very good craft robo section which your GF will find helpful

cardman
17-01-2012, 07:50 PM
GF cant read mrs maggot

KK she can but i just wont allow her on comp :)

Its a man thing

smitch6
17-01-2012, 07:50 PM
good little machine and i think they go longer than 1 mt
i think it's fairly limitless but pls correct me if i'm wrong :)

accdave
17-01-2012, 07:55 PM
The carft robo was 1m max, the Cameo is 3 metres max

cardman
17-01-2012, 08:00 PM
so looks like its the cameo from mdp and the a1 cutting mat (+ free knife)

cheers all

Ill be back with another question laters ...................

smitch6
17-01-2012, 08:16 PM
i stand corrected :) apologies
still a good machine tho

AdamB
17-01-2012, 10:42 PM
The craft robbo is an excellent machine and if used right - the only limit is your imagination.

It has restricted width of cutting but if you plan your designs around this then you can't go wrong. I have had 2 large cutters since getting my craft robbo on day1 - to be honest I have never used the large ones as everything was cut on my CR.

I sold one (as new) before Xmas and I have another large cutter sat here that I have done a test cut but that's it as I use the CR all the time.

As an example, the t-shirt I mentioned the other day (the post: my nightmare weed: below) was ALL done on my craft robbo :-)

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=729&d=1326489694&thumb=1 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=729&d=1326490377) http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=730&d=1326489697&thumb=1 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=730&d=1326490380) http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=731&d=1326489702&thumb=1 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=731&d=1326490384) http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=732&d=1326489706&thumb=1 (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=732&d=1326490389)

cardman
18-01-2012, 11:14 AM
yep seen them adam - really nice indeed,but the weeding of it wouldnt be.The text alone would of been a nitemare to do - never mind all the bits on the dragon.

Paul
18-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Dragons look easy compare to the text :-)

AJLA
18-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Blimey I hope you charged well for that one!! Does look but nightmare weed.

cardman
18-01-2012, 04:54 PM
how long do them sticky back carrier sheets last for as on many posts i see people saying they have spares ?
Do they lose the grip on the paper pretty badly ?

one final thing - for testing purposes only - can normal a4 paper be put into the machine so dont mess up on using EXPENSIVE vinyl :)

smitch6
18-01-2012, 04:58 PM
how long is a piece of string????? :)
when doing vinyl it usually has a backing depending on what your doing so you don't need the carrier sheet
but you will need it for paper

and yes you can put a normal A4 piece of paper thru it no problems

Paul
18-01-2012, 05:01 PM
i NEVER used carrier sheet for flex or flock. they always cutted fine.

smitch6
18-01-2012, 05:06 PM
you have 3 dif blade holders for dif depth of cuts
and you can also adjust it via the software
and there is a test cut feature on it which cuts a funny shape in the corner which you can then weed to see if it works ok

on clothing vinyl (sorry martin) there's a clear backing which once pressed is either hold or cold peeled
you don't cut thru this obviously and it's that that acts a backing for it

you usually use the carrier sheet for cutting paper or card for other projects like making boxes etc :)
amazing what u can do with it once you figure out how (i really shut learn how to use mine properly lol )

cardman
18-01-2012, 05:11 PM
thanks,off to do some crop tops now :)

smitch6
18-01-2012, 05:13 PM
rofl good one watch out for your phone Paul :P

cardman
18-01-2012, 06:25 PM
just ordered one of these Pack B
think i made it in time for tommorows delivery so heres hoping

Im also hoping it does the full 12 inch edge to edge and software works on win7 64 bit

problems problems problems :)

Scapaflyer
18-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Software works fine on Windows 7 64 bit as I use on my laptop with no problems at all.

AJLA
19-01-2012, 09:50 AM
I use the carrier sheet a lot, if i have any small bits of vinyl I want to use up, I hardly have any waste. I also use it with paper and the pen in the blade holder if i want to draw any designs prior to cutting or if I need to show my customer first. My very first Robo is still going strong after producing thousands of t shirts, I can honestly say it is the least problematic machine i have ever owned.

Last year I thought ..this little beauty's not going to go on much longer so I bought a new one and it's never been out of the box and a couple of months ago I was given a very little used one and it's still sat in the box as the old one is just plodding along. A great investment for me that was.

cardman
19-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Software works fine on Windows 7 64 bit as I use on my laptop with no problems at all.
cheers just waiting for knock on door from delivery guy
will let u know how easy it is to do when i messed with it :)

AdamB
19-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I remember the first thing I ever cut was my name in vinyl. I had bought the craft robbo with quite a bit of other stuff and also had a few samples of vinyl included so I could mess around.

Anyway, being one that never reads instructions (come on, there's not a lot that do) I jumped on and within 2 minutes I was cutting my name. I was chuffed to bits when it came out not having a clue what to expect - then I weeded it, ohhhhhhhhhhh I thought, this is fun - I could do this all day!

Then I spent the next hour trying to figure out why it was reversed! (i.e I never mirror imaged it before the cut).

I smile now now thinking about it - and I still enjoy weeding, well I do up until about 11am then I'm pig sick of it! (lol)

Ian M
20-01-2012, 02:50 AM
I remember the first thing I ever cut was my name in vinyl. I had bought the craft robbo with quite a bit of other stuff and also had a few samples of vinyl included so I could mess around.

Anyway, being one that never reads instructions (come on, there's not a lot that do) I jumped on and within 2 minutes I was cutting my name. I was chuffed to bits when it came out not having a clue what to expect - then I weeded it, ohhhhhhhhhhh I thought, this is fun - I could do this all day!

Then I spent the next hour trying to figure out why it was reversed! (i.e I never mirror imaged it before the cut).

I smile now now thinking about it - and I still enjoy weeding, well I do up until about 11am then I'm pig sick of it! (lol)

Adam, you do realise you've just told us all your Mad A now.............lol.

AdamB
20-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Have I let the cat out of the bag now then ................... lol :-)

jennywren
20-01-2012, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=cardman;36895]so looks like its the cameo from mdp and the a1 cutting mat
did you buy the cameo in the end, does any one use this,

cardman
20-01-2012, 12:47 PM
yep i got the cameo
works fine on win7 64 bit
is quite straight forward how to use it and the software that came with it is easy to use.
I went for pack b from mdp but i should of got machine on its own really as most of the paper it came with was vinyl for vans (got loads of this already :))

bms
20-01-2012, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=cardman;36895]so looks like its the cameo from mdp and the a1 cutting mat
did you buy the cameo in the end, does any one use this,

The Cameo is quite a new machine so there aren't huge numbers of users with them just yet, but the main difference over the Craft ROBO is the extra width of cutting. You should be able to get within 1cm of the edge so even with that limitation you're still cutting 280mm width from the 300mm max capability as opposed to the 210mm width of the ROBO. Not a great deal of difference in cost price over the ROBO either as the ROBO was £195/£199 +vat and these are about an extra £30-£50 +vat on top. Great value machines and come with the standard software with an option to upgrade to the designer software from Graphtec at £29.99 (inc vat).

Ian M
20-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Have I let the cat out of the bag now then ................... lol :-)

Oh yes......:wink:

jennywren
20-01-2012, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=jennywren;37225]

The Cameo is quite a new machine so there aren't huge numbers of users with them just yet, but the main difference over the Craft ROBO is the extra width of cutting. You should be able to get within 1cm of the edge so even with that limitation you're still cutting 280mm width from the 300mm max capability as opposed to the 210mm width of the ROBO. Not a great deal of difference in cost price over the ROBO either as the ROBO was £195/£199 +vat and these are about an extra £30-£50 +vat on top. Great value machines and come with the standard software with an option to upgrade to the designer software from Graphtec at £29.99 (inc vat).
Thank you for the info very helpful