PDA

View Full Version : canvas printing

Paul
23-01-2010, 04:04 PM
hi! I read on the net you can get A3 inkjet canvas for normal desktop printer. is this realy possible:? If I try that will I not damage the printer heads?
I do not mean to print in larga amounts but only few for my self. I want to print some panorama canvass. is this possible with A3 epson??? if so where do I get the canvas from in this size? I can find only 16" and biger. but A3 is 13". any one can help with this one?

thank you
Paul

chongsta
26-01-2010, 08:53 PM
HiPaul,

I couldnt see this being 100% cotton canvas as it would be too thick. I reckon its the chinese stuff, its more of a cotton/poly mix.

Heres a handy link> http://www.picturemaster.co.uk/product_cotton_matte.htm

Look at the botton link, its for 12" canvas. I use these guys for my stretcher bars and laminate. Very friendly company, ask to speak to Vandana and tell her that Dave from 'Stainz' in swansea sent you :)

They also sell all sorts to do with canvas...hugh site, take a look ;)

Laters
Dave.

Paul
26-01-2010, 09:03 PM
thanx for the link and all info! do you think normal ink jet will be ok to do a few of those? thanx
Paul

JSR
27-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Some time ago, I used to print to A4 and A3 canvas sheets with my R1800. It's perfectly possible. The A4 is easier, but A3 can be done - you may need to encourage the printer to feed it, but it works quite well.

The company I used to buy the sheets off disappeared awhile back, but this website - http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/products-Artist-Canvas_105.htm - sells some. I've bought other stuff from them in the past, so they're reliable, but I don't recall trying their canvas. You can buy in packs of 3 (A4 or A3) and you might want to try out the A4 first, just to have a go before spending more.

You may need to set your printer to "thick paper" or whatever the equivalent is on yours.

Some canvases out there are regular canvas that has been coated - and the coating can flake off over time or if you're a little rough with the print. The stuff linked to in the above paragraph isn't coated, it's dipped for durability.

It is worth noting that A3 is not 13" - 13" is A3+. A3 is 11.7", but it's still pretty big. You may be able to find A3+ canvas somewhere but expect it to cost more.

chongsta
27-01-2010, 04:35 PM
thanx for the link and all info! do you think normal ink jet will be ok to do a few of those? thanx
Paul

I couldnt answer the inkjet question sorry. All i know is that the canvas is for waterbased inks like Epson's. I use Eco-Sol Max inks for Roland Versacamm which are solvent based and when i tried a sample of their canvas it seeped into the weeve and basically didnt work! But we knew that before we ordered the sample, I just wanted to see thats all.

The canvas that I use for my business is inkjet coated and is 65/35 poly cotton. The results are nothing short of spectacular i must say. Far better than 100% cotton and matt canvas. If you're ever going to buy canvas, buy Satin. Matt canvas is a waste of time and makes any image look dull and flat, trust me! Ive still got rolls of samples from China from 4 years ago that I still havent thrown out - awful rubbish. (Im a hoarder! lol)

--------

If you call them up and ask, Im sure they'll give you lots of advice. And you can order some samples too.

Cheers
Dave.

Paul
27-01-2010, 05:13 PM
thanx JSR! I read your post about canvas on other forums :) very helpful advice there...

Dave
I already email them and got answare after 1H. preety impresive :)
A4 sample on the way :) very helpful lad there....
thanx guys.

louise020171
23-05-2010, 08:25 PM
I have used a company called www.picturemaster.co.uk (http://www.picturemaster.co.uk) They sell loads of things to print onto canvas using inkjet printers. I have just bought a Epson R1900 as this will work with it. Just trying to work out setting etc as new to it.
This company is helpfull and great for communication etc over the phone.

Hope this helps.

karen x

daviddeer
05-09-2010, 12:52 AM
If you're ever going to buy canvas, buy Satin. Matt canvas is a waste of time and makes any image look dull and flat, trust me! Ive still got rolls of samples from China from 4 years ago that I still haven't thrown out - awful rubbish.
I have been printing on matt canvas with the epson 9800 for several years and the reason I use it is because it will allow Giclée varnish to adhere to the print. Satin or gloss pigment/dye inkjet canvas cannot be varnished as it is water resistant. It just comes off. If you don't varnish the prints will fade in sunlight in about 2-3 years. It also has a higher gamut than gloss. Choose one with a Dmax of 98% , obtain the best possible icc profiles (custom ones are best) and set the printer lever to thick paper. Thin canvas is not good to use as you will get head strikes and therefore black streaks across the print. It also does not stretch terribly well [in fact it stretches too well and sags and warps like a plastic bag on a radiator] .
The ink will be dry immediately so smudging is not an issue, however leave the print for 24 hours before varnishing to ensure proper adhesion between the ink and substrate. The prints I produce have to be very high quality and UV stable as they sell for around £1500 each retail.
I have to agree with you that Chinese canvas is not much use, unless you want make a pretty liner for the parrot cage. Just imagine trying to print on a floppy plastic place-mat and you'll get the idea. I wouldn't even consider trying to frame it.
I used to use these cut sheets (http://www.colourgen.com/consumables/search.php?page=1) on my old trusty epson 1290 (which has now been converted for sublimation) but find roll media much more economic.
Obviously solvent printing is very different and will differ greatly from the water based inkjet pigmented/dye ink technology that I use and have described above. I therefore cannot comment on any aspect of it.
Good luck !

Tom Wiliams
06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing this new technology of canvas printing, very nice.

chongsta
04-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I use Eco-Sol Max inks so i think thats where the difference is.

Ive been using Eterna ~Satin laminate for years with no problems, and thats onto Satin canvas as well. I even water it down slightly and no probs. Its just preference that I dont like Matt canvas over the others.

I wouldnt mind getting £1500 a canvas, what is it your selling? ;)

Cheers
Dave.