PDA

View Full Version : New Start Printing

28-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I have had a look around the forums , picked up a lot of info , but can just ask this before i spend money. I want to do some mugs , so here is what i was intending to do,

Buy epson D120
Buy CISS for D120
Buy sublimation inks

is this the way to go , or do i need anything else , i see some post where a icc profile is mentioned , is this needed ? . What is it ?

Any advise on this would be brilliant as at the moment i know nothing at all , but am reading the forums
regards and thanks

John G
28-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi John - your forgot the mug press, sub paper and heat tape.

28-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi JohnG , i know mate , but was wanting to check i could go ahead and start with this equipment

Justin
28-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi John,

Yes, you'll need an ICC Profile to get the colours right. If you buy from one of the sellers listed on the forum you'll get the profile with the inks/cis.

D120 is a fine printer for A4 so you should be ok there.

Justin

PS, If you get 5 minutes please register and you'll get to access all of the forum. Cheers :-)

jock
28-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Thank you jnmann , i did register , however never logged in after conformation mail , anyway , the sellers listed on the forum , i cant find , can you you point me to the list, sorry to be a pain
jock

Justin
28-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry Jock, I mean't to pop a link up

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/general-dye-sub-chit-chat-f10/uk-suppliers-t110.htm

Cheers,
Justin

jock
28-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Justin thank you , looks like i might go the BMS route evrything i want in one pack
regards
jock

Justin
28-01-2010, 04:15 PM
You could certainly do worse Jock. I use the BMS DF10 mug press and so far I've got great results. I use a D120 and a Ricoh 5050, D120 is a great printer to start you off.

AJLA
28-01-2010, 04:30 PM
BMS mugs are great and the staraightes ones i've had in a while.

You may come accross cheap mugs where the sides are not straight ie when you put them side to side you can see daylight between them which will cause big headaches, a lot o waste and hassle.

So I would suggest a good mug !!!

Justin
28-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Up until recently I only used Listawood mugs but postage prices became ridiculous so I've swapped to BMS. Just started using first box and results so far are great, very bright. Customer has noticed a difference already :-)

draig
28-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Are they RN mugs Justin? Been having trouble with cracking noises with the ones from LW.

Thanks
Sharon

Andrew
28-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I would think cracking noises are more to do with the ceramic mug rather than the coating. It might just have been a bad batch but if it persists I would swap mug supplier. Most pinging/cracking noises might not result in to many problems but if it happens often then you will get the odd one with leaks through hairline cracks when hot water is poured in and expansion takes place. All this I say from experience. Had the owner of a company I supplied mugs to use the first one out of a batch of 200 and have his coffee leak out the bottom.

jock
28-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Epson d120 £51.00 from Epson
CISS £19.99 from ebay
Ink , i am looking
the only thing is if i buy these seperate , how do i manage this icc profile thing?
Also taking printer and ciss is brand new,can i just start right away with sub ink?
sorry guys , but i did say i was virgin

draig
28-01-2010, 06:13 PM
I would think cracking noises are more to do with the ceramic mug rather than the coating. It might just have been a bad batch but if it persists I would swap mug supplier. Most pinging/cracking noises might not result in to many problems but if it happens often then you will get the odd one with leaks through hairline cracks when hot water is poured in and expansion takes place. All this I say from experience. Had the owner of a company I supplied mugs to use the first one out of a batch of 200 and have his coffee leak out the bottom.

That was my thoughts as well, was beginning to think Press had a hot spot, but all tests out OK. Hence trying to find a new supplier, don't do a lot of mugs per se (guess I should change my company name :lol: ), but don't want to get a reputation of supplying iffy product.

Sharon

Justin
28-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Jock, I would recommend getting a pre-filled CIS, when you're starting out it's important to be able to get the right support from your supplier. If you buy bts and bobs from here and there it makes it difficult. I did this with my 5050, bought it from one company and then got the inks from another. Now I'm having problems with it and it really makes it complicated.

I'm sure you've seen by now but the inks are very expensive. This is due to Sawgrass holding the small format patent and prices are therefore set. You'll still make a healthy profit if you set prices right though and the ink shouldn't give you any problems.

Justin
28-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Are they RN mugs Justin? Been having trouble with cracking noises with the ones from LW.

Thanks
Sharon

They are indeed Sharon, 10oz

jock
28-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I will take your advise and get my ole faithfull mastercard out :) just going to browse for a deal now , i only need the printing side , i have press and papers.

purpledragon
28-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Hi Jock i think we,ve all forgot to mention the ink you wanna get is artanium ink cheap inks and cheap paper just dont work eg i get great results with artanium ink and trupix paper i tried a sheet of signal paper( you will get used to the brand names) and the differance was unbelievable in short i doubt id have half the repeat custom if i used signal all the time. If you bought a prefilled system of ink im pretty sure the profiles come with it order that lot and we will all sit back and wait for the questions cause youre bound to have loads.
one bit of advise though BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE in this game thats definatly true. but hey us ugly mugs here are always on hand to give advice
Brett

AJLA
28-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Are you dunking the mugs in water afterwards?

jock
28-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Jock i think we,ve all forgot to mention the ink you wanna get is artanium ink cheap inks and cheap paper just dont work eg i get great results with artanium ink and trupix paper i tried a sheet of signal paper( you will get used to the brand names) and the differance was unbelievable in short i doubt id have half the repeat custom if i used signal all the time. If you bought a prefilled system of ink im pretty sure the profiles come with it order that lot and we will all sit back and wait for the questions cause youre bound to have loads.
one bit of advise though BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE in this game thats definatly true. but hey us ugly mugs here are always on hand to give advice
Brett
Thanks Brett
i have taken all onboard and i think i will go with the printer D120 from BMS.
money is tight so,dont really want to be buying twice like you say mate, thanks for all the advise

Glen
28-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Brett
Thanks Brett
i have taken all onboard and i think i will go with the printer D120 from BMS.
money is tight so,dont really want to be buying twice like you say mate, thanks for all the advise

Good idea Jock and have to say BMS support is really good..

Justin
28-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Couple of great points from Brett there. When you're starting out you want to be able to rely on tried and tested products to limit your down time and wastage. Once you've got everything running well you can start to experiment with different papers etc. but I'd agree, Artainium is the best.