PDA

View Full Version : paper that looks like oil painting

bigj2552
03-02-2012, 04:49 PM
hope this in right place.....

just looking into differant angles of printing at the moment....

one of those is this -

i wish to take customers photo/portrait ( they supplied ) and print it out as if it were an oil painting...

now -
i already have photoshop CS5...i heard there was a plug (pixal bender ) plus 4/5 other settings in PS, that will give me the look i want but....

i want the picture to FEEL like a oil painting when printed.....you frame picture but, dont put glass in it..

what kind of paper would give me that feel ? - or would it be canvas material ?

or is it something totally differant altogether i need to look at ????

any help would be great..

regards

johnny

cardman
03-02-2012, 11:08 PM
for the texture im pretty certain u would go for canvas as thats the feel u get from using a canvas roll.
As for making the picture look older u are correct - photoshop and plugins to make the job easier (actionfile)

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/oil-painting/

gorgall2
03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
You can get sublimatable canvas

bigj2552
06-02-2012, 10:59 AM
You can get sublimatable canvas

anyone know where to get canvas for this kinda job ?.....done the goolge thing, but little comes up.....

how much is canvas ? and how is it sold ? - by the metre / roll ect....

johnny....

AJLA
06-02-2012, 11:49 AM
By both roll and sheet form, we use lots but with Ultrachrome inks on an Epson wideformat (which i then treat with frog juice and wrap). Fuji film is my fave but I do buy a lot from a company called Mandev if you google him "Les" is very helpful, they sell a variety of ink and canvases but can't remember offhand if they do subli ink. I also buy some 17" canvas from him, i've just discovered a fabric that has an adhesive backing, Les has just sent out a sample so thats my next experiment.

bigj2552
08-02-2012, 01:08 PM
update to what i was asking....

just seen a picture done about 5yr ago....

it has a hardboard backing - and the digital picture ( paper ) is glued onto the board....

but the surface of the picture has a rough / almost speckled feel to it, and it looks glazed....ITS NOT CANVAS MATERIAL !
The picture still retains the digital clarity..

the company that done this does some of the school photos..and this was an optional upgrade to there normal school pics...

is this some kind of spray glaze that can be applyed to the digital picture to make it look/feel this way ?

really need your help with this one guys..

anyone ? :confused:

AJLA
09-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Hmm right, there are lots of boards you can purchase to stick images to not sure about the speckle effect but the glaze could it be frog juice?

NASH
09-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey Mandy

Whats the best way to apply frog juice. Do you thin it down with white spirit and then brush it on ?

AJLA
09-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Nash, long time no speak.

No I actually use the aerosol, not the most cost effective I know but I much prefer the finish. I don't actually like a "plastic" look to a canvas and prefer it to look and feel like canvas.

NASH
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks Mandy

me the same do`nt like the plastic look.

Looks like i`ll have to search for the spray cans

AJLA
09-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Swains, Tetenal, Lion

NASH
09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
cheers**********