PDA

View Full Version : Your Help Please!

thehoff
29-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi all

Just joined and would like some advice and help please, as it covers a few areas I am hoping a general posting will produce some replies.

I do a few things on the net and have been looking to get into the sublimation for my partner to run from home (that could be a problem as she has problems even turning the PC on at this point!!!!)

Anyway its great to find a dedicated forum to the subject and I hope to be a very active member, like others before me I am in the process of ordering my CIS system for my existing epsom R340 which should start us off and spending hours trying to master Coreldraw (sigh!!!) to create images etc. And of course the most important element THE MUG press purchase.

I have spent some time reading posts on this forum for the press and hours researching on the net. I am a great believer in you get what you pay for but could really do with some advice on the best unit to start with. I can across "bargainpress" on ebay trading as sublimagic from memory and the guy is claiming his machine is UK designed and made from Japanese components as opposed to less reliable china made units. I emailed him for some more info and he came back with "my next shipment is due in mid feb" not much good when i want it NOW.

Any advice on this subject guys please? (i expect sublimajic maybe a forum member here!)

Also advice on ink supply for the CIS system as i read some posts on this subject!

And last buy not least best supplier of paper and tape and of course mugs. I have researched alot on this but would really appreciate any advice from the forum members.

Look forward to your replies and being a member of this forum.

Hoff.

Karen.
29-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Just a quick post, as am in the middle of an order.
First off is to double check that your printer is suitable for sublimation. If not then you will have a lot of time and trouble trying to get it to work. If you cannot get an artanium profile for it then the colours are unlikely to ever be right if it takes the ink through at all.

As for suppliers have a browse around. I (and many others) use BMS (www.printerowners.co.uk (http://www.printerowners.co.uk)) as the best supplier for just about everything sublimation.

thehoff
29-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks, I cant see it listed for artanium on the BMS site but it has the correct print head. There are other sublimation inks avaliable are these not as good as artanium then? I dont really want to fork out for a new printer but needs must if mine will not produce the right results I guess.

Thanks for the confirmation about BHS in general they do seem to have a varied stock and I guess as many use them their prices must be compeditive?

Justin
29-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Check out our suppliers sticky just about your thread.

Small format sublimation inks are sold under licence as Sawgrass hold the patent. The only real names you'll see are Rotech and Artainium. Most users seem to go for Artainium. Prices are set under the licence so you'll not save much on ink costs by shopping around.

As far as I know the R340 isn't a supported sublimation printer. Better off going for a D120 (A4) or Epson 1400 (A3) Other alternative is the Ricoh 5050 (A4) or 7000 (A3)

I tried very hard to buy a press from Sublimagic but failed. Personally I won't look there again.

I use a DF10 mug press from BMS and find it excellent. Far better than expensive ones I've had in the past. You'll see cheaper presses on eBay but never underestimate the value of good support, you will need it at some time.

Mugs I now use BMS 10oz RN coated. Paper I've just changed over to Trupix and it's excellent. Heat tape I have a stock from Xpres and this works fine for me.

Justin :-)

thehoff
29-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks, I am sobbing into my G&T now as my R340 has had little use and my wallet is squealing about the thought of more spending on another but i will check out the suggested printers.

As for Sublimagic, yes i agree, it wasnt that it was the cheapest but he talked a good game about the machine and it seemed versatile so I was nearly there pressing that BIN button until the delivery time reply!

Next you going to tell me your a Wiz on Coreldraw, that might just send me over the edge!! LOL

Justin
29-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Certainly not a Wiz but I do know my way around CorelDraw :-)

This is a great website............ http://www.lynda.com

thehoff
29-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Yep thought so, Im going on the Vodka Red Bulls now Ive had enough of Coreldraw video tutorials for one day!

Thanks for all the info, very usefull.

Cheers Hoff

thehoff
30-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey Justin

Hangovers just about gone now and I just checked out that web site you suggested. OMG its packed with some really good stuff so thats my weekend sorted. Thanks for pointing me in the direction.

Hoff