PDA

View Full Version : refillable inks

flatcap
29-01-2010, 04:56 PM
hi can anyone tell me how to refill refillable ink cartridges for epson s21 i know it's not sub but its the printer i use for invoices etc hope someone can help

mrs maggot
29-01-2010, 06:35 PM
have you refilled them before ? the S21 does not come up on the site i get my ink refils from http://www.continuous-ink-systems.co.uk do you normally use a syringe ?

Justin
29-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Have you actually got the carts yet?

I saw these on eBay....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Set-Refillable-Compatible-Ink-Cartridges-Epson-S21-S-21_W0QQitemZ370301059071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Came rasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN?hash=item 5637a9bfff

Are yours similar?

flatcap
29-01-2010, 08:15 PM
hi Laura no iv' never used them before and they arrived with one rubber bung missing no syringes as advertised and no instructions
also each cartridge has a layer of pinkish liquid in and i don't know if i have to empty them before putting ink in mind you I don't even know which hole i have to put the ink in
hi jn yes i have the carts the same as the one in your link but not from ebay
so if you guys know how to fill the ones in the link i may just get my snotty letter to 3mobile printed and posted

mrs maggot
29-01-2010, 09:38 PM
you can try here if there is anything that might help http://www.continuous-ink-systems.co.uk/installation_new/instruction-AB-cartridge.pdf

John G
30-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi, If its just for printing invoices you'll save a lot of time and money buying a cheap laser printer

JSR
30-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi, If its just for printing invoices you'll save a lot of time and money buying a cheap laser printer
Yes, but not too cheap! Check out the toner costs for some cheap laser printers and they're no cheaper to run than an inkjet - particularly when you consider that laser printers have hidden costs such as drums, transfer belts, waste bottles, etc etc.

Paul
30-01-2010, 12:07 PM
If this is only for invoices why not buy cheap Epson Stylus S21 and third party inks to keep the cost down?

John G
30-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes I agree that the toner is much more expensive but you do get a huge page count. The original minoltas that I buy are 4500 pages for between £60 - £80 and you need 4 of them. I have 3 minolta 2300, 2 bought brand new and one second hand off an ebay listing - had these for about 6 years and in that time i've only replaced the OPC Drum Unit on 2 of these printers - around £100.

The benefits are fast, just about instant, prints which are dry, much sharper than inkjet and look more professional. If your only printing invoices you could go down the road of using compatable toners and get the full set for about £80 on ebay.

As JSR said - Always check the consumables when buying a laser printer.

JSR
30-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes I agree that the toner is much more expensive but you do get a huge page count. The original minoltas that I buy are 4500 pages for between £60 - £80 and you need 4 of them. I have 3 minolta 2300, 2 bought brand new and one second hand off an ebay listing - had these for about 6 years and in that time i've only replaced the OPC Drum Unit on 2 of these printers - around £100.

The benefits are fast, just about instant, prints which are dry, much sharper than inkjet and look more professional. If your only printing invoices you could go down the road of using compatable toners and get the full set for about £80 on ebay.

As JSR said - Always check the consumables when buying a laser printer.
Older printers tend to be cheaper to run because the printer itself cost more. My first laser printer had a black toner that lasted for some 10,000 pages and cost about £80.

However, many manufacturers are using what they've learned with inkjets when selling budget laser printers. It's not uncommon to see a cheap laser printer only to find out that the toners are £30-£40 for just 1K or 2K pages. Given that some inkjets can do 500 pages on an ink cartridge of about £10, and there are no other costs (such as drum, belt, waste collector, etc), then suddenly budget lasers are not so budget after all.

We have an HP Officejet printer here which uses £18 black cartridges which give you 2,350 pages (compare that to your minolta costing £60-£80 for just 4,500 pages). We use it rather than our lasers (we have two) because the HP inkjet is *cheaper* to run!

And as for fast. On draft mode (which is perfectly legible on this HP Officejet), it outpaces my colour lasers. I just wish they still sold that inkjet because I'd get another one. I've been an Epson customer all my life, but that HP really made me sit up and take notice.

The only point I'm intending to make here is that it's not like the old days in which "laser is always cheaper to run than inkjet". You need to check the product and not just assume it's the case.

John G
30-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Good points - one thing I forgot to mention, you can leave a laser printer untouched, not even switched on, for a week, month or even a year and the 1st print will be the same as the last - perfect. Try that with an inkjet and you would have clogged nozzles and be head cleaning for a month to get it printing again. :lol:

JSR
30-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Good points - one thing I forgot to mention, you can leave a laser printer untouched, not even switched on, for a week, month or even a year and the 1st print will be the same as the last - perfect. Try that with an inkjet and you would have clogged nozzles and be head cleaning for a month to get it printing again. :lol:
That's a good point. Although I've rarely experience severe clogged nozzle issues, you do away with it entirely with laser printers.

flatcap
30-01-2010, 03:10 PM
hi Laura thanks for the link unfortunately it did not help me but thank you so much for helping.
and thanks you guys for the posts about laser printers, the problem is i have just brought the s21 because it takes refillable cartridges and i have paid for the cartridges and bottles of ink already.
So i need to work out how they fill and whether the pinkish fluid needs to be removed
I've been trying utube for videos on refilling but no luck nor for search on google for instructions

bms
30-01-2010, 03:36 PM
From my experience a refillable cartridge, when new, is completely empty. They're called virgin empty cartridges and should never have had any ink or liquid in them. You definately need the rubber bung that you are missing and ideally a large syringe with a sharp needle.

I don't know what type of cartridge you have and can't really help with the filling/ refilling process of these, but when we fill from new and empty we create a vacuum inside the cartridge by sucking out the air (sharp needle through one of the rubber bungs) and pull back in the syringe chamber. Remove the syringe and needle completely, load with ink and re-insert the needle through the rubber bung. The cartridge will fill automatically by sucking the ink to fill the vacuum and this avoids any air locks inside the cartridge.

flatcap
30-01-2010, 04:19 PM
hi martin,
i've been looking at videos of all the epson refillables and they are many and varied and i found a vid that's not to clear but i can see they have removed the colour bung to fill so i know know that hole is where the ink goes, and not the one in front of each colour bung. each bung has a pin hole on the top of the bung but the hole does not go all the way through which i think from what you say is how you do it
would be to force the syringe through and fill
i've just dismantled the office and found some spare bungs and a set of syringes looks like i'm ready to go now that you cleared up my problem about the layer of liquid in the cartridges
thank you so much

flatcap
30-01-2010, 07:48 PM
hi all anyone know how to get dye based ink of of hands i'm covered in all 4 colours forgot to put on gloves
but managed to get the cartridges to fill though
thx for all your help

purpledragon
30-01-2010, 09:28 PM
heat press them http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_bounce.gif :D http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_bounce.gif :D

Paul
30-01-2010, 09:29 PM
http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/lol.gif I wonder what color they turn ?? :twisted:

mrs maggot
30-01-2010, 11:24 PM
try cutting a potato in half and rubbing on failing that a good old mixture of granulated sugar and washing up liquid should get it off

flatcap
31-01-2010, 10:26 AM
http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/lol.gif I wonder what color they turn ?? :twisted:
purply violet my hands looked like paul with a hint of summer yellow
tad extreme dragon but at least the pain would make me forget my discoloured hands
Laura you are a genius sugar and fairy liquid done the job couldn't try the potato it's sunday roast day and i want to eat them
thanks guys

mrs maggot
31-01-2010, 04:10 PM
glad it worked - another one is washing powder and washing up liquid - but can be dodgy if you have sore skin