PDA

View Full Version : I want to print t-shirts!

Lee
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
What a maze!

So far I'm liking the look of vynal (flex?), but I need to understand what equipment I need to geet my started... Is it simply a Craft Robo and a heat press? Software-wise I have PShop - but I'm not sure that will do the job..?

Alternatively, it seems more cost effective to perhaps order plastisol designs ready to press - but I can't seem to find any UK based suppliers... this seems to be more advanced in the US I think...?

Another alternative could be printable flex and use my existing epson printer - but Im not sure these will last as long as vynal etc...

And can't I do more things with vynal if I branch out at a future date?

Can anyone please give me some guidance, maybe pros and cons of the different methods you have experience in...

Much appreciated!

Earl Smith
08-02-2012, 04:15 PM
You need a Cutter a Heat Press and a Vector program. Pshop is a bitmap program but ok for printing. Corel Draw or Illustrator are the best for the vector jobs. Some flex is printable and some is not. But you will probably need a solvent printer for that. You can print with an Inkjet printer on special Inkjet paper. Or a laser printer onto suitable paper as well.
Printing transfers is ok if you have the right customers for the available prints.
And you need to find a spell checker as well.

Good luck
Earl

Lee
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Thanks Earl - I looked at BMS - printable flex seems to be ok for inkjet with durabrite inks... but wanted to know about the quality / durability etc... Does the Craft Robo come with Vector software or do I need to buy this seperately? And speelcheckar? How come?

Lee
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Just looked at the post by Adam - http://www.alternativeto.net and they have a Corel Draw alternative - Inkscape - I guess this would sort the vector graphics out - just need to learn how to use it!!!!!

Earl Smith
08-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Dont know anything about the Craft Robo, sorry. I have a GX24 Roland. This comes with a very basic vector program that will do text and some shapes. You do need to invest in Corel or similar because very soon after starting you will have to make logos , put outlines on them and merge shapes for the cutter. Not possible with the Roland software.
As for printing with Durabrite Inks, again, no idea. Why not speak to BMS direct and find out. I have never printed onto vinyl either so cant help with that.
Pretty useless really.

Good luck
Earl

Paul
08-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Alternatively, it seems more cost effective to perhaps order plastisol designs ready to press - but I can't seem to find any UK based suppliers... this seems to be more advanced in the US I think...?

have a look here: http://www.etcsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=48_89&products_id=996

Just looked at the post by Adam - http://www.alternativeto.net (http://www.alternativeto.net/) and they have a Corel Draw alternative - Inkscape - I guess this would sort the vector graphics out - just need to learn how to use it!!!!!

inkscape is very powerful tool. you can do most stuff as you would with expensive packages, and is not to difficult to use ;D

Lee
08-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Pretty useless really.

Not at all - any advice you have gratefully received! How do you make yours?

have a look here: http://www.etcsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=48_89&products_id=996

inkscape is very powerful tool. you can do most stuff as you would with expensive packages, and is not to difficult to use ;D

Thanks Paul - just looked at the site - didn't realise they had to be one colour - with vynal you can layer one or two colours (I think) - so perhaps plastisol is limited?

I'm gonna have a play with the software tonight! How you do do yours too pls Paul?

Paul
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
you not that limited with plastisol. This company is limiting them self ;)

AJLA
09-02-2012, 11:15 AM
The Craft Robo comes with its own basic software too, having said that i use that mostly over Corel

Lee
09-02-2012, 11:39 AM
So, craft robo and heat press - and Im good to go? Then just need the materials, designs, business nouse...not forgetting paying customers!!!!

Paul
09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
...but you know that CR is only little and you can not cut even A4 with it?? so as a business solution i would suggest something slightly bigger where you could cut few designs at once.

accdave
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
...but you know that CR is only little and you can not cut even A4 with it?? so as a business solution i would suggest something slightly bigger where you could cut few designs at once.

As long as you aren't getting in to sign work the CR will probably do about 99% of any vinyl size for clothing. If you are buying new then it's the Cameo anyway which is bigger anyway.

Paul
09-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I would recommend size of cameo more then CR. CR is fantastic piece of kit for good price but i found when cutting some flock for t-shirts it was fine as long as i didn't had to print bigger size then "large". as when my design was about A4 but had to print XL or XXL design on this kind of size looked crap :biggrin:

Lee
10-02-2012, 12:49 AM
I didnt know that - it would primarily be for tees and smaller garments....... so the CR would not do that? Can anyone recommend a good priced adequate cutter - even second hand?

AJLA
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
The CR will do that, obviously if you want to get into bigger things other than just text or logos on tees then it wouldnt be suitable. If you want to do the hen party stuff, slogans logos etc it is a great inexpensive starting point. If you can find a bigger machine at a great price then go for it. As i've said I have cut vinyl for thousands of tees with a few blade changes of course and it's still going strong but it does depend on what you want to cut and where you are going with it all, window signs etc?

Earl Smith
10-02-2012, 10:50 AM
There is another small cutter the
Silhouette Cameo Plotter by Graphtecthat will also do the job, and its A3.
If you are on Facebook then heres the link to a firm that uses one and has a demo on this page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/reflectra/112469695462081
Nice reflective vinyl as well.

Earl

AJLA
10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
That looks good, have you checked any prices?

Earl Smith
10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
No, but I saw it in action at a fair last weekend. ( on the Reflectra stand) . Dont think it will be too expensive.
Earl.

PS, I found the Puff I needed as well, thanks.

AJLA
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh right, can you remenber the name of the company. We were racking our brains trying to remember.

accdave
10-02-2012, 12:30 PM
There is another small cutter the
Silhouette Cameo Plotter by Graphtec

that will also do the job, and its A3.
If you are on Facebook then heres the link to a firm that uses one and has a demo on this page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/reflectra/112469695462081
Nice reflective vinyl as well.

Earl

The Cameo is available from most of the suppliers, MDP, Transfer Press, BMS etc.

Lee
12-02-2012, 12:40 AM
The Cameo looks excellent!!!

I've also looked at the printable flex that BMS have.... has anyone used that - how does it compare?