PDA

View Full Version : 123 reg

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 12:50 PM
just got my domain name from these guys couple days ago....

you get a free web page ( woo ) with every domain name....

i was gonna use that page to put up a "opening soon" page and point my domain to that page while i am building my shop.

made up the site with there online software but, cant get it to point to my domain.

there support seems to be no existent - all you get are help questions n answers...if they dont work, yer stuffed - meh !

Paul
18-02-2012, 01:05 PM
all my domain names are registered with them and every time i had problem i had FANTASTIC customer service. did you changed dns nameservers? if so it may take up to 48h to start pointing to your page...

John G
18-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Been with 123 reg for years, brilliant company and never had any problems at all.

This any good!
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/how-do-i-set-up-my-dns-for-web-forwarding-2526/

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Been with 123 reg for years, brilliant company and never had any problems at all.

This any good!
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/how-do-i-set-up-my-dns-for-web-forwarding-2526/

changed the settings ...still doesnt point to my page....thats been 48hrs.......

John G
18-02-2012, 02:45 PM
If you've just bought your domain does it not take a few days to register it?

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 02:48 PM
i can see it in the domain reg page on there site....along with my other ones...its there....
and its pointing to there instant site/page thingy.....
when i put my domain into web browser - the domain name comes up in address bar and page stays pure white !

John G
18-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Have you tried uploading a site to your new domain, rather than web forwarding. This would rule out whether its up and running yet!

I seem to remember getting an email off 123reg with all the detailed info a few days after buying the domain/hosting.

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Have you tried uploading a site to your new domain, rather than web forwarding. This would rule out whether its up and running yet!

I seem to remember getting an email off 123reg with all the detailed info a few days after buying the domain/hosting.

yeh i got the emails for em to john - says the same things the guys were saying on here basically...

will give it till monday and see if its up....
then phone em

JSR
18-02-2012, 03:06 PM
What's your domain name? You can run it through something like: http://network-tools.com/ to see how it's currently set-up.

smitch6
18-02-2012, 03:23 PM
haha should of hosted with me :P

usually when someone registers a domain within an hour or so it's live and pointing to my server if the nameservers have been set up right and the hosting sorted on my end

these free things are ok but they do tend to have some limitations

check the nameservers in your control panel that they are pointing the correct way

if you do decide to change hosting ppl give me a shout i have good deals for DSF members

oh and i always recommend 123 for domains as never had a problem

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 03:27 PM
haha should of hosted with me :P

usually when someone registers a domain within an hour or so it's live and pointing to my server if the nameservers have been set up right and the hosting sorted on my end

these free things are ok but they do tend to have some limitations

check the nameservers in your control panel that they are pointing the correct way

if you do decide to change hosting ppl give me a shout i have good deals for DSF members

oh and i always recommend 123 for domains as never had a problem

lol....

not using em for hosting m8.....only using the free page you get with any domain name to let ppl know i,m about and gonna open soon...only got my domain with em :wink:

JSR
18-02-2012, 03:38 PM
not using em for hosting m8.....only using the free page you get with any domain name to let ppl know i,m about and gonna open soon...only got my domain with em :wink:
How does that work? If you're hosting elsewhere and pointing your domain elsewhere, then you won't be using the free page surely? :confused:

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 03:52 PM
How does that work? If you're hosting elsewhere and pointing your domain elsewhere, then you won't be using the free page surely? :confused:

you miss what i,m doing here....

my shop is being hosted elsewhere ....( not opened yet ).

my domain is with 123reg...they give you 1 free web page with the domain name.
I,m trying to use the free page with 123reg as a front temp page to let ppl know my business is up and coming and when.
once my shop is opened, i will point my domain name to my shops hoster...

hope that makes better sense

JSR
18-02-2012, 03:57 PM
you miss what i,m doing here....

my shop is being hosted elsewhere ....( not opened yet ).

my domain is with 123reg...they give you 1 free web page with the domain name.
I,m trying to use the free page with 123reg as a front temp page to let ppl know my business is up and coming and when.
once my shop is opened, i will point my domain name to my shops hoster...

hope that makes better sense
I see, so at present it should be showing up the page on 123reg? That shouldn't take any time at all to do. As soon as the domain has propagated, the page should show up. I don't use 123reg myself, but that's always been the case whenever I've registered a new domain.

Have you put it in www.network-tools.com to see what it says?

bigj2552
18-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Have you put it in www.network-tools.com (http://www.network-tools.com) to see what it says?

yep it shows up alright...but what am i supposed to be looking for ?

JSR
18-02-2012, 04:16 PM
yep it shows up alright...but what am i supposed to be looking for ?
If it shows it pointing to the right IP address, then it should be working. Sometimes you need to wait for the data to propagate (your ISP might be slower to update than someone else's), but if it shows its pointing to the right place then there's little more you can do.

Do you want to post your domain here so others can try it and see if they can see your page?

bigj2552
19-02-2012, 09:41 PM
got it sorted.....

you have to trawl through various settings to get to it....