PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE - Which Mug Press?

jparkes
23-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Hello guys, I have posted a similar question about a printer on that section. So I will ask the same with regards to a mug press. This question is properly the most common question:

Which is the best mug press to buy?

Go on someone just tell me 'buy XXXX' it's the best! Never done dye sub before, and need something that actual works really well.

Here's hoping.

Thanks
Jon

bms
23-02-2012, 06:48 PM
There's a huge range from really cheap to quite expensive. I wouldn't go for second hand or from an eBay seller with good rating. Obviously I'd say go for ours! You could even win one this month.

I don't believe it's necessary to spend huge amount just for a standard mug press, but consider also if you are likely to print thinner mugs or latte mugs and if so, will your investment in a mug press enable you to do this or can it be upgraded to do so. Fair to say that most people go for a standard mug press.

GoldRapt
14-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would add to this one.
I own a TMT HTP 616 plus mug press it's ...8 years old now.
I have only used it using CPM laser paper on "workmans" mugs as the wife calls them.
I am just gearing up to start doing some dye sub projects again and want really to do mugs that look more marks and spenser than wimpey (no im not being snobby just reacting to peoples tastes)
Is my current mug press suitable for intended purpose with say some different wraps or do I need to look at something else please?
Maybe a JML halogen oven is the way to go, I don't know.
Can someone give me the benefit of their experiences please and make recommendations ?

Paul
14-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Df1 would be perfect for starters. And also as martin said i yo planning to press some latte mugs then you can get all the attachments for it!

Regarding hallogen lamp press for laser transfer i dont think it will be any good for sublimatio as there is no temp control as far as i know...
I also woupd not recomend hallogen jml ovens. Not as a first timer oven anyway.

GoldRapt
14-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Cheers Paul, but did you know it is sold as suitable for sub pressing as well as laser mate?

mrs maggot
14-10-2012, 03:27 PM
which mug which printer ???

well that can be answered by you for just the price of one cup of home made tea or coffee and a bit of free reading..... this forum, you will then see hundreds of answers to those questions, where people point out budget busters, what set ups they have ended up with for under £300 under £500 over £500 etc - the informatin is already on the forum, lots of times, you just need to find it :)

GoldRapt
14-10-2012, 03:34 PM
That's very very true Laura and I always appreciate your input , but it's also true that one can find as many different answers as there are questions.

mrs maggot
14-10-2012, 04:43 PM
do you know i was reading the first poster rather than yours Goldrapt :wink: so i can now see there are 2 posts, i cant see why your mug press would need to alter, infact TMT even say

"Using the latest in mug clamp technology the new press with its modification enables mugs to be produced using both toner or sublimation based transfers. With its dual head and multi clamp options the HTP solves all issues over production of larger orders without the expense of multiple mug presses. Each unit comes complete with 2 alloy clamps."

Heatpressuk
14-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I agree with most you don't need to go over the top when buying equipment what I would say is looking that the company can back their product not just while the warranty is going but after this. Another bonus is knowing whether the machines can be upgraded and used with a multiple of other attachments. I'd steer clear of the most cheapest models alot of these do not have thermostat controllers so are not safe to operate. We too offer a well made mug press machine with capability of using more than one attachment. More over we have a long standing history of repairing or modifying many mug press machines of other makes and models. Companies who are good at communicating is key!

GoldRapt
14-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I knew we we good Laura :-)
Yes TMT say that but I take Paul's point and my clamps are the old ratchet type not the fancy smancy ones they have now. A phone call to TMT I think just to talk things through.:-)

Charlie_
14-10-2012, 05:19 PM
which mug which printer ???

well that can be answered by you for just the price of one cup of home made tea or coffee and a bit of free reading..... this forum, you will then see hundreds of answers to those questions, where people point out budget busters, what set ups they have ended up with for under £300 under £500 over £500 etc - the informatin is already on the forum, lots of times, you just need to find it :)

Agrees with Mrs Maggot yet again...I learnt so much from reading posts on here.